Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A z e o error

tag
Shmike
Regular Contributor

A z e o error

So I'm in the process of doing a z e o. Two of my cards report on the 3rd of each month. One card had an $8 balance, that was paid in full. Actually it was negative $8 because of a statement bonus I got. My other card that reports on the same day, I put a $30 charge on it. It has a higher credit limit so I wanted to keep the utilization around 1%. Unfortunately that card hasn't reported yet or at least it hasn't reflected via experian. My experience score took a 16-point hit, I'm assuming because all my cards zeroed out. I'm hoping that my card with the $30 on it that was also supposed to report on the 3rd reports today, combating the negative effect. Does anyone think that will be the case? Will my scores bounce back from this hit, immediately? Do I have to wait for a full cycle IE a month? Am I doing the a z e o wrong? Should I be doing it so two cards have a balance at some point, that seems like the only way that I can do it without this happening again. I've course want to maximize my score, however I'm not that concerned because I am currently gardening for at least 8 months. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Tiersha
Regular Contributor

Re: A z e o error

Some here swear by azeo and have given me grief over some of my azeo questuons/comments.  To make a point I'm in azeo still and have been for several months, no lates, great mix of types of credit, (up until recently, also a mtg and a personal loan and paying them off only gave me the notice of...your credit has decreased by...and ive received a 4 point jump actoss two scores) 50k lines total in cc and I have a single $25 a month payment and only spend $25 so basically a recycle of that $25 and I pay before reporting date...all the stuff I've been taught.  

Guess what.. it's hardly done anything.  I still have at my 700+ f8.  My mtg scores have only moved once in 6 months and honestly, they aren't even that great, they are just ok.

I told someone I'd do this for a yr and I'm 8 months in and see nothing changing.   When the year is up I'll try two cards with low balance and see if that works the way I feel it did last time.  To me my scores increased more when using 2 of my 6 cards on a regular basis.

People have told me time and again that I must have something on my report to be causing it not to go up etc but I don't.  Ive argued this point frequently.

Now I'm just experimenting.  The crap thing right now is the plateau on it all and the non movement of my mtg score considering I am headed into a cons loan.

Message 2 of 38
Shmike
Regular Contributor

I hear you it seems like a pretty exact. I did however use the score simulator in the myfico app and it says if you pay off all your cards to zero you'll lose about 15 points, and I just inadvertently did that and sure enough I got a 16-point hit! So like I said I'm gardening now not going to take on any new applications so I suppose scrutinizing my score over a few points it's kind of stupid but it's a new hobby so I can't help myself LOL I suppose I'll Tinker around a little bit too see where the sweet spot is for me. Thanks very much for your Insight and taking the time to read my question. Best of luck!

Message 3 of 38
Tiersha
Regular Contributor

The simulator is nice but not exact.  By now per it, I should have been in the 800 on f8.  Also since my uti is so low amd I only legit ha e 1 debt, my car, the Sim doesn't even work for that.

That said I'm grateful that im 60+ days in since paying off my mtg and personal loan and haven't taken a hit. 

Message 4 of 38
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Haha! Totally! Most of the simulators only tell me to let my credit age. There's no other advice to give, I suppose because I've essentially done everything I was supposed to.

They'll simulate scenarios if I do something detrimental like open another card Etc but that's all it just tells me to let my credit "age"

Thanks again for taking the time to read and answer best of luck with your mortgage or lack thereof

Message 5 of 38
Tiersha
Regular Contributor

Thanks...the mtg will go thru I just wish the score was 10 or so points higher lol.

Ha e a good day amd you're welcome.

Message 6 of 38
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Shmike wrote:

So I'm in the process of doing a z e o. Two of my cards report on the 3rd of each month. One card had an $8 balance, that was paid in full. Actually it was negative $8 because of a statement bonus I got. My other card that reports on the same day, I put a $30 charge on it. It has a higher credit limit so I wanted to keep the utilization around 1%. Unfortunately that card hasn't reported yet or at least it hasn't reflected via experian. My experience score took a 16-point hit, I'm assuming because all my cards zeroed out. I'm hoping that my card with the $30 on it that was also supposed to report on the 3rd reports today, combating the negative effect. Does anyone think that will be the case? Will my scores bounce back from this hit, immediately? Do I have to wait for a full cycle IE a month? Am I doing the a z e o wrong? Should I be doing it so two cards have a balance at some point, that seems like the only way that I can do it without this happening again. I've course want to maximize my score, however I'm not that concerned because I am currently gardening for at least 8 months. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

You're overthinking this.  I think you should stop trying to do AZEO, it's causing you too much anxiety.

If you pay everything on time, and pay some of your cards before the statement date, you'll be fine. You're trying to micromanage it to a degree that's not sustainable.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 38
Shmike
Regular Contributor

You're absolutely right! It's not exactly impossible because I know when my cards report approximately, within a day or two. So it's certainly sustainable. But I am without question overthinking it. I just feel like this is a productive hobby for one of a better word something my girlfriend and I do together. It's helpful, utilitarian and moderately entertaining!

Especially since I'm "gardening" I've committed to at least 8 months, perhaps a year. I just feel like it's something in my control, so why not? I wouldn't say it's stressing me out, per say. Perhaps it's getting more of my attention than it should. But again, it's not unhealthy. On the contrary I think. Something my significant other and I can do together. And it has a practical application, and real world consequences.

I have to say do value your Insight greatly, and appreciate any gems that you drop.

Thanks again SJ!

Message 8 of 38
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Utilization has no memory so your scores will change as your UTI changes. You got dinged the all zero penalty, not a big deal. Nothing wrong with AZE0 but I think it's more hassle than it's worth. I let several (not all because that would incur another penalty) of my cards report balances, not the same ones every month either, and have seen steady gains.

Every now and again I've let a 10% usage on one card report, then let it show a significant pay-down to 1% or less report on the same card the following month. Then report to zero after that. You're in the garden... try different things, for science.

Message 9 of 38
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Right exactly that was my plan. I'm in it for the long haul so these little insignificant fluctuations are inconsequential. It's funny because I had a number of cards reporting small balances and I didn't in fact get a hit for that once I had only one card reporting a small balance my score did go up substantially so yes that absolutely is another metric they used to measure utilization. I am in the interest of science as you said going to play around with it. Thanks very much for taking the time! Best of luck and all of your credit endeavors!

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.