cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA Calculations...will closing these accounts INCREASE My Score?

tag
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

AAoA Calculations...will closing these accounts INCREASE My Score?

I have 2 Credit One acounts.  One is 1y 6m old and the other is 2y 6m old.  I hvae 7 new accounts this year so my current AAoA is 4y 7m.  Doing the calculations...closing both Credit One accounts will increse my AAoA to 60 months or 5 years.  This will aslo allow me to ditch Credit One which I literally never use.  Currently they are $1000 and $800 CL.  My total available credit is $80k and I just got a CLI for my Apple card for an additional $5k which would more than make up for the loss in available credit.  I also am under 1% utilisation as I pay off all cards monthly and never carry balances.  I just wanna double check that I am not missing anything.  It seems like I have nothing to lose and only things to gain by dumping my 2 Credit One cards.  I wont miss teh available credit, the AAoA will go up, and I cut the only 2 cards with AFs even though now they have been waived but they should kick in again soon.  

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: AAoA Calculations...will closing these accounts INCREASE My Score?

there's a super long thread somewhere on here that highlights scoring factors, if I could find it, I could look into it and remember if AAoA is a scoring factor or not 

it doesn't sound intuitively right for closing an account to increase your score, but I would need to find that thread to be sure 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Your AAoA is right now and gets older each month. It wont change scores by closing cards. Open or closed accounts which can count up to in most cases is 10 yrs is equated in your AAoA's. So closing 2 Credit 1's wont do a thing to AAoA's. Here is a AAoA calculator:

https://aaoa-calculator.org/ 

In some cases its been said keeping a total of 5 active open accounts is beneficial. But I wouldn't put much into it. Staying above 3 is known. If there was a nice point gain. People would be closing accounts left and right around here.

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

I have 2 Credit One acounts.  One is 1y 6m old and the other is 2y 6m old.  I hvae 7 new accounts this year so my current AAoA is 4y 7m.  Doing the calculations...closing both Credit One accounts will increse my AAoA to 60 months or 5 years.  This will aslo allow me to ditch Credit One which I literally never use.  Currently they are $1000 and $800 CL.  My total available credit is $80k and I just got a CLI for my Apple card for an additional $5k which would more than make up for the loss in available credit.  I also am under 1% utilisation as I pay off all cards monthly and never carry balances.  I just wanna double check that I am not missing anything.  It seems like I have nothing to lose and only things to gain by dumping my 2 Credit One cards.  I wont miss teh available credit, the AAoA will go up, and I cut the only 2 cards with AFs even though now they have been waived but they should kick in again soon.  

What is used each month on a card isnt a util % thats reported. Its whats reported come statement date that matters. So paying all cards to 0% before statement date. Is 0% util which is a 15-20pt penalty for not having accounts reported any activity. Since you dont carry balances your aggregate util % should stay at 1%. No matter how many acounts are open. If 1% is reported. And you pay before the due date after the statment cuts. Confused? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
GZG
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Your AAoA is right now and gets older each month. It wont change scores by closing cards. Open or closed accounts which can count up to in most cases is 10 yrs is equated in your AAoA's. So closing 2 Credit 1's wont do a thing to AAoA's. Here is a AAoA calculator:

In some cases its been said keeping a total of 5 active open accounts is beneficial. But I wouldn't put much into it. Staying above 3 is known. If there was a nice point gain. People would be closing accounts left and right around here.

Perhaps OP meant AAoOA? 

I really wish I could find the therad I was talking about, it's not on the big list of common threads 

it's that super indepth guide to fico scoring

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Perhaps OP meant AAoOA? 

I really wish I could find the therad I was talking about, it's not on the big list of common threads 

it's that super indepth guide to fico scoring

In my fisrt reponce thats what I was trying to say. Open or closed still counts. My oldest closed account keeps getting updated from 30 yrs ago. Say no more. Dont wanna jinx it. Its figured in.

Message 6 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

The AAoA for FICO takes into account both open and closed accounts. So closing accounts has zero immediate effect on your AAoA.  The closed accounts will continue to be factored in so long as they continue to appear in your reports, which is typically 10 years or so, but sometimes longer, and sometimes shorter. Please do get rid of Credit One.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 14
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

OK...I was confused which is why I posted in the first place..lol.  So I was talking about Averge Age of OPEN Accounts...which isnt in the calculation credit score.  AAoA includes all accounts open AND closed. Got it Thank you...so if I close an account, it just moves from one category to another but its still factored into my credit score.  So closing an account really only changes the available credit and the utlisation.  If its closed, does it still age?  Or is it on my credit for 10 years as a 2 year 7 month account?  

Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

OK...I was confused which is why I posted in the first place..lol.  So I was talking about Averge Age of OPEN Accounts...which isnt in the calculation credit score.  AAoA includes all accounts open AND closed. Got it Thank you...so if I close an account, it just moves from one category to another but its still factored into my credit score.  So closing an account really only changes the available credit and the utlisation.  If its closed, does it still age?  Or is it on my credit for 10 years as a 2 year 7 month account?  

Yes it ages.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 14
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Gotcha...So to summarize..no positives other than no AF on those 2 particular dog cards.  The negatives will be those CL's will be removed from my available credit and that coud have a slight affect on utilisation.  Thanks!!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.