cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Score Increase?

tag
Sean085

Auto Score Increase?

Long story short I bought a used truck last year and I'm just wanting to move on to something else. I am in the process of rebuilding credit right now and want to purchase a brand-new vehicle middle of next year. I'm waiting now till the end of the month for my reports to update after I have paid my CC off. Anyway, my lender for my truck allows principal-only payments on top of monthly payments. I just made a $3000 payment last week (required monthly is $777.66). I don't plan on doing this till I pay it off just till I trade it in so my score does not drop. If I were to maintain paying double or even triple payments towards my truck each month, would this raise my auto score or have any real effect on it. 

Equifax-636

Transunion-643

Experian-585

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Auto Score Increase?

I'm not too familar with auto scores specifically, but understanding is that generally scoring for loans and credit cards is based on crossing certain thresholds which I think are 9%, 29%, 49%, etc. You would need to look at your balance vs. the original loan amount and and see if you have paid or can pay an amount that would cross a threshold. Based on the scores you've listed, something is supressing them quite a bit, I'm not sure that improving utilization on the car loan will help a lot. Do you have credit card balances? Depending on the particulars, maybe paying towards those would be more beneficial. Beyond that hopefully one of the experts here will chime in and give more guidance.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 5
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Sean085 wrote:

Long story short I bought a used truck last year and I'm just wanting to move on to something else. I am in the process of rebuilding credit right now and want to purchase a brand-new vehicle middle of next year. I just made a $3000 payment last week (required monthly is $777.66). I don't plan on doing this till I pay it off just till I trade it in so my score does not drop. If I were to maintain paying double or even triple payments towards my truck each month, would this raise my auto score or have any real effect on it. 

Equifax-636

Transunion-643

Experian-585

Double or triple payments will have no impact on score. Payment history only looks at whether or not payments are made on time. Aggregate balance to loan ratio B/L can impact score. However, the only significant point gain threshold is getting below 9%.

If you only have 1 credit card, let it report a small statement balance (under 9% of the card' credit limit) and then pay statement balance before due date. Rinse and repeat.

Note: If all credit cards report a $0 balance, your score typically gets penalized 15-25 points for"no recent revolving activity".

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 5
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

What else is on your credit report? Payments made on time for your vehicle loan will help your scores. I owe less then a third of my original balance, yet I'm told my balance is holding back my credit score. It's 846. 

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You might consider saving that money towards your down payment for your next vehicle, especially if you'll be buying new vs used or if you expect interest rates to be higher than your current loan.

Also unless you know that your next lender pulls auto scores versus classic FICOs I would focus on optimizing your revolving utilization and / or cleaning up your reports to boost your scores. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.