Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change address to Foreign country?

tag
codedoctor
Valued Member

Change address to Foreign country?

I moved from the US to Canada a couple years ago. I still maintain some credit cards and a bank account in the US, all have my Canadian address and understand that this is my permanent residential address, not a temporary address. 

My address has not been updated in the three major credit bureaus to my Canadian address. I've gleaned from these sites that my address should have been updated with these bureaus by the entities that issued the credit cards (which are Chase Bank, American Express, and RBC Bank). 

I have poked around in these sites and just now I tried the dispute at Equifax for my current address; however, this wasn't workable as I need to put in my true current address and the web form accepted only US addresses. 

Any ideas on how to force an update at the major credit bureaus? I suppose I can send a dispute by postal mail to get around the issue I described.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Change address to Foreign country?

When it comes to things like address changes/disputes with the three main credit bureaus, it most often requires this to be done through the mail as they often request proof, supporting documents to be sent by mail. 

Message 2 of 5
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Interesting that the CRA have not picked up on your current address during the past two years.  One must wonder when presented with correct information the credit bureaus have ignored  this fact. How untrustworthy is this?

Message 3 of 5
FicoMike0
Frequent Contributor

Do the cras do Canadian credit?

Message 4 of 5
codedoctor
Valued Member

@FicoMike0 

Equifax and Transunion are the two big US cras that operate in Canada as well. However, they operate separately and independently from the US services. So there is no interaction between US and Canadian credit reports, credit scores, etc.

Some cards (Amex and some cross-border banks) will consider your credit in one country when you apply in another country.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.