cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI Strategy and FICO 9

tag
chasmfiend1995

Chase CLI Strategy and FICO 9

Hello! I have two questions. I have opened a chase card in January and I am trying to increase my chances of a CLI come the 6 month mark. To do this, I am allowing a high balance to report every statement and paying in full the same or next day.  Question 1: Since chase reports on statement day, and when paid to zero, is it more helpful for fico 8 to pay the next business day or after I see the score change on karma/experian/fico? OR pay the same day.

My thought process is that maybe paying same day overrides the big balance paid and posts 0 balance on the credit report, giving me an all zero penalty. Any ideas?

Question 2: Will allowing the big balances to report affect my fico 9 score? I have heard on here and other places that fico 9 tracks utilization trend, for example if you normally report 80% utilization and one month report 20% or vice versa it may effect the score negatively.

I am kind of lost here and would really appreciate some knowledge from you all!

7 REPLIES 7
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CLI Strategy and FICO 9

@chasmfiend1995 wrote:

Hello! I have two questions. I have opened a chase card in January and I am trying to increase my chances of a CLI come the 6 month mark. To do this, I am allowing a high balance to report every statement and paying in full the same or next day.  Question 1: Since chase reports on statement day, and when paid to zero, is it more helpful for fico 8 to pay the next business day or after I see the score change on karma/experian/fico? OR pay the same day.

My thought process is that maybe paying same day overrides the big balance paid and posts 0 balance on the credit report, giving me an all zero penalty. Any ideas?

Question 2: Will allowing the big balances to report affect my fico 9 score? I have heard on here and other places that fico 9 tracks utilization trend, for example if you normally report 80% utilization and one month report 20% or vice versa it may effect the score negatively.

FICO 8 and FICO 9 do not have memory when it comes to reported utilization. 

FICO 8 and FICO 9 only care what the balances are at the time a score is pulled. 

Creditors and FICO 10T do care about balances over time, typically:

carried balances = bad

balances paid off in full monthly = good. 

ideally, at the moment you're about to apply, your reported balances on your cards look like this AZEO (all zero except one): 

$20

$0

$0

$0

$0

until the mortgage people spend more time with FICO 10T and figure out how it works, we don't truly understand yet how reported balances figure into 10T scores on files that pay off their bills in full every month. 

I have a feeling it won't matter and that any juice that you can game out of FICO 10T by manipulating reported balances will only be suggested for people actively mortgage shopping

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@chasmfiend1995 wrote:

Hello! I have two questions. I have opened a chase card in January and I am trying to increase my chances of a CLI come the 6 month mark. To do this, I am allowing a high balance to report every statement and paying in full the same or next day.  

That's not good for your FICO scores.

Question 1: Since chase reports on statement day, and when paid to zero, is it more helpful for fico 8 to pay the next business day or after I see the score change on karma/experian/fico? OR pay the same day.

It doesn't make a difference.

It doesn't make a difference.

Question 2: Will allowing the big balances to report affect my fico 9 score?

Yes it's bad for your scores.

I have heard on here and other places that fico 9 tracks utilization trend,

No you didn't hear that here. It's not so.

for example if you normally report 80% utilization and one month report 20% or vice versa it may effect the score negatively.

That's fiction.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 8
chasmfiend1995

Thank you I appreciate that. I believe I was confused between FICO 9 and 10T. Additionally, I understand the high balances are not good for Fico scores, however chase reports anytime you pay to 0 and I do not carry balances so I'm not worried at that factor. Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
chasmfiend1995

Thank you! I was confused between 9 and 10T. I appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 8
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@chasmfiend1995 wrote:

What percentage of your CL are you allowing to post? What one may consider to be a large amount may not be percentage wise or to the financial institution.

Message 6 of 8
chasmfiend1995

Hello, I was given I small CLI relative to my income. So I give them a call when approaching the balance just to be on the safe side. 95-100%. Yes it hits my scores, but I pay to zero and I am gardening currently so it has no real impact.

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@chasmfiend1995 wrote:

Hello, I was given I small CLI relative to my income. So I give them a call when approaching the balance just to be on the safe side. 95-100%. Yes it hits my scores, but I pay to zero and I am gardening currently so it has no real impact.

If you're concerned about your scores you should not report any balances greater than 28% of the limit.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.