cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support Arrears Question

tag
Cmos3

Child Support Arrears Question

Are child support arrears allowed to be reported on the credit report indefinitely?

Or are they supposed  to fall off after 7 years just like any other debt?

Are states allowed to after 7 years is up, put it back onto the credit report again?

I know taxes, student loans etc can remain forever until paid off,  but child support I thought as far as reporting, worked just like credit cards, or an auto loan, after 7 years, it comes off of the credit bureau.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Child Support Arrears Question

In general yes I believe it should be removed but it may depend on how your state is reporting it to the CRAs. 

But regardless, child support accounts on your reports won't affect your FICO score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

From my understanding unpaid child support never goes away.

Message 3 of 11
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Are you talking about an outstanding arrearage or a paid-off arrearage? I'm pretty sure a paid-off account should fall off at 7 years but an outstanding arrearage is different. The Federal Statute of Limitations (which most - but not all - states have now fallen in line with) is 10 years after the last payment collected after the child in question has aged-out of the order. Every time you make a payment or they seize your income tax refund or anything else that services that debt, the clock restarts. If you go 10 years without paying a cent or them seizing a cent the state may close the case, as per Federal guidelines, but it can be re-opened if your financial situation changes (like you win the lottery or something). Once the state closes the case and reports that to the CBs it should start the 7 year countdown. Of course in some states they don't follow the Federal guidlines. Some have no Statute of Limitations at all on child support and some that do like to take the matter in front of a judge just as they're about to hit the limit and get a new order that starts the whole countdown over again at the beginning. My advice would be to speak with an attorney who can apprise you of the way it works in your state.

Message 4 of 11
Cmos3

Great, that really helps, ty

Message 5 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

In Michigan unpaid child support never goes away. 

Message 6 of 11
OldDog
New Visitor

Muck Fichigan!

Message 7 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

An Ohio State fan? Can't spell Col  bus without UM!!!

Message 8 of 11
FicoMike0
Frequent Contributor

The're not big on spelling in Cbus.  Um certainly had quite a season, I even enjoyed the cheating scandal.  I was surprised there's a rule against it. If you can figure out the other teams signals, that should just be good clean fun!

Message 9 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Jim Yarbrough had to go for three straight wins over that college in the middle of round on the outside and high in the middle school, because he could!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.