Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Credit Union to Join.

tag
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

Easy Credit Union to Join.

What are some easy credit unions to join that are basically open to everyone and don't do a a HP for membership?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Easy Credit Union to Join.

It seems to me that most do not do a HP just for membership.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 12
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

If you're an alumni from the University of Michigan you can join without a HP, plus there are a number of perks for belonging. 😁

Message 3 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

What are some easy credit unions to join that are basically open to everyone and don't do a a HP for membership?

For starters there are probably several local ones near where you live or work that you're eligible to join simply because of where you live or work, it would be easy enough to walk in or call and ask if they hard pull just for membership.    

What is it you're looking for in a credit union other than it being easy to join without taking a hard pull?   Good credit cards?  Low-APR auto loan?  Comparatively high yield on deposit accounts?    Not all of them are good at all 3 of these criteria for example.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

Building off what others have posted above, I am not aware of any credit unions who do a hard pull just for joining.  So the next questions you need to decide are:

• Are you wanting to join a smaller local credit union?
  • Are you wanting to join a federal credit union with local branches?
  • Or do you not care about local branches and just want to join a federal credit union?
I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

Building off what others have posted above, I am not aware of any credit unions who do a hard pull just for joining.  So the next questions you need to decide are:

• Or do you not care about local branches and just want to join a federal credit union?

Because your list, as I read it, implies a contrast between a small, local credit union and a federal credit union, I just want to clarify: a "federal" credit union just means that the credit union is federally chartered and thus regulated by the NCUA.  You can have a federal credit union that has one branch with three employees, open only on Tues and Thurs afternoons.  A credit union that isn't federal is just one that's state chartered and regulated by state-specific laws.  You can have a state-chartered credit union with multiple branches across multiple states.

Message 6 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

Because your list, as I read it, implies a contrast between a small, local credit union and a federal credit union, I just want to clarify: a "federal" credit union just means that the credit union is federally chartered and thus regulated by the NCUA.  You can have a federal credit union that has one branch with three employees, open only on Tues and Thurs afternoons.  A credit union that isn't federal is just one that's state chartered and regulated by state-specific laws.  You can have a state-chartered credit union with multiple branches across multiple states.

Interesting, thanks for the education.  I have several smaller credit unions near me which do not state they are "Federal Credit Unions", however, they are NCUA regulated.  The thrust of my post was to draw a line between the likes of say Triangle Credit Union (https://www.trianglecu.org) in my area and the likes of say PenFed and NFCU.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the education.  I have several smaller credit unions near me which do not state they are "Federal Credit Unions", however, they are NCUA regulated.  The thrust of my post was to draw a line between the likes of say Triangle Credit Union (https://www.trianglecu.org) in my area and the likes of say PenFed and NFCU.

Are they regulated by the NCUA, or does the NCUA just insure their deposits?  (The NCUA insures deposits at federally-insured state-chartered credit unions, as well as federally-chartered credit unions.)

And, yep, I agree, one thing to consider when thinking about what CU to join is whether you want a small, local CU or a big, national one.  For me, even large-ish, statewide credit unions have been a different member experience from small, local ones.

Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

Some credit unions do a HP for membership, some do not. When I am interested in joining a credit union I reach out and ask them. You cannot rely on what you are told here or in online articles, because policies change.

As to credit unions open to all, I have formed the opinion that you can often get better deals with credit unions that are not open to all... i.e. those which are geographically or affiliation restricted.   So I would look in that direction first.

Some credit unions that are open to all are Affinity FCU, Alliant CU, Unify FCU, PenFed, DCU, Jovia FCU, Dept of Interior FCU, Dept of Commerce FCU, BECU, Dow, Consumers, Members 1st (Enola PA), PSECU, SECU MD, Baxter, Langley, Service, and many others.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 12
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Cory88  Here are several links for you.

With membership in the American Conumser Council gives a pathway to join many credit unions. The link below is to my post on the subject

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/American-Consumer-Council-Credit-Unions-Update-11-...    

I am member  Quorum  FCU and State Department FCU currently thru the American Consumer Council

There are several credit unions you can join through memberhip  Financial Fitness Association

https://financialfitnessassociation.org/   Click on Partners for the list of credit unions

My membership in Redstone FCU is thru the Financial Fitness Association

There is this list on Depositaccounts.com

https://www.depositaccounts.com/credit-unions/anyone-can-join/ 

There may be some overlap from the first two links  and this list

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.