Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries between 1 and 2 years old

tag
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

Inquiries between 1 and 2 years old

I know that they appear on your reports but supposedly don't count toward your score. Can they still have an impact on credit decisions? E.g., if I have no inquiries for the past 12 months but have 20 in the preceding 12 months, would those still be a negative factor?

The reason I'm asking is that I already have 5 inquiries this month and might want to take a flyer on a few more before retiring to the garden for a year at the end of this month. Will this flurry of 13-month-old inquiries come back to haunt me when I'm back in the "market" in November 2022?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Inquiries between 1 and 2 years old

Yes, depending on the lender, it can still impact the decision. That's actually the position I'm in right now. CLIs and apps denied for too many inquiries. Approximately 17 per bureau, about 2/3 over a year old.

Message 2 of 5
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

I know that they appear on your reports but supposedly don't count toward your score. Can they still have an impact on credit decisions? E.g., if I have no inquiries for the past 12 months but have 20 in the preceding 12 months, would those still be a negative factor?

The reason I'm asking is that I already have 5 inquiries this month and might want to take a flyer on a few more before retiring to the garden for a year at the end of this month. Will this flurry of 13-month-old inquiries come back to haunt me when I'm back in the "market" in November 2022?

I have the same problem, 20/12 but at the end of this month i will be 5/6 5/12 20/24.

I was hoping after 12 months there would be a major difference but after reading this thread the air just came out of my balloon

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 5
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

It's true they become "Unscorable" at 12 months but they don't become "Unviewable" until 24 months to inquiry sensitive creditors.

I have been unofficially gardening for quite some time now.

I have one inquiry due to drop off tomorrow (Oh Yeah)  leaving  me with...

Experian      0/24

Equifax        1/24     (due to drop off 1st week of Nov 2021)

Transunion 1/24     (due to drop off 1st week of March 2022)

So by April 2022 I will be Zero Zero Zero

It's been so hard not to apply for some great pre-approved offers but I'm playing around with the idea of buying a house in the future and I know (with the knowledge acquired through this forum) New accounts/Inquires/Lost of AAoA etc. is not welcomed with open arms by the Mortgage score gods.

My mortgage scores right now are Ex-750/Eq-748/Tr-717 and I'm not currently practicing Azeo.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the lender whether this will impact any decisions. Some are INQ sensitive some are Less sensitive. Its an indicator of credit seeking along with established new accounts. Another factor that may arise is the number of new accts in relation to INQs. A bunch of INQs and few new accounts may signal to a UW that no lenders are willing to risk extending credit to that particular individual. Some profiles are stronger and this may have less of an effect over time. Depends on the profile. Dirty/thin profiles are usually best advised to manage INQs more carefully. Again this is also lender specific. Research and DPs are key. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.