Did you mean: 

Medical collections question

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

Medical collections question

Hi all,

hoping someone knows the answer,

It is my understanding that medical bills under $500 will not be reported to credit bureaus,

however, my question is, if you have multiple invoices from a medical provider is that $500 per bill or in the aggregate? 

for example, bills for $450, $400, and $600,

If the total owed is over $500 would that still be reported or would it be individually and only any single bill over $500 would be reported ?

5 REPLIES 5
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical collections question

"if you have multiple invoices from a medical provider is that $500 per bill or in the aggregate? "

For reporting it is a balance of $500 not "per bill" to the provider/creditor.  Now some patients have a single bill with a balance over $500 and that can be reported.  A single balance under $500 cannot.  While a patient may have separate visits to the Humpty Dumpty Orthopedic Clinic resulting in  a balance of $2500 owed it doesn't mean the clinic is required to break it down to the separate charges for reporting purposes.  The provider after all is one creditor with one balance that was arrived at through multiple charges.

"If the total owed is over $500 would that still be reported or would it be individually and only any single bill over $500 would be reported ?"

In my opinion it would be the same as a credit card.  If you owe a credit card $25k for mulitple charges over several years and default they can report and sue for the entire balance owed.  The credit card issuer is not required to break it down and collect or report per charge that was made to the card only on the aggregate balance.

Message 2 of 6
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@Cowboys4Life  Good way of putting it!

Message 3 of 6
FicoMike0
Frequent Contributor

Not good for the op😂😂

Message 4 of 6
emily15
Regular Contributor

Yeah not good for me especially since I just went through a bk and stupidly did not include this debt. Long story

But it's okay! I'll pay it. 

thanks everyone. 

Message 5 of 6
IPIF
New Contributor

I know this doesn't help the OP, but maybe some people are interested.

New York State law prohibits hospitals and other health care providers from reporting medical debt to credit agencies.

The law also prohibits credit agencies from collecting information about or reporting medical debt.

The law become effective in December 2023.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.