Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help dealing with Affirm charged off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help dealing with Affirm charged off

Hi, Im in a bit of a pickle with affirm. I used them to buy a transmission earlier this year however the merchant sent the wrong transmission. I returned the transmission expecting a full refund but the merchant's policy was to only give partial refund for this type of scenario. I disputed with Affirm but they ruled in the merchant's favor. I let the affirm account sit as I planned to continue disputing this charge but unfortunately i let too much time pass and they charged off the remaining $250 balance to true accord. My credit score dropped 80 points with Experian and I am freaking out because I want to buy a house soon. Experian is saying I have a 630 now. Im wondering how to go about this? Has anybody had any luck with a goodwill letter to affirm? Is there a way I can escaluate the dispute? Should i pay the account with true accord now or wait to get answers on how to proceed? Any help here would be great.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Need help dealing with Affirm charged off

When it comes to auto parts. Theres always some kind of return policy. Like you cant return certain electronic parts. In the fine print its probably sitting there what happens if anything is returned. For now its only $250 and needs to be PIF. The tranny cost probably 5 times more than that or more. Mistake was it was an open loan and payments still had to be made regardless while working on the refund. "I let the affirm account sit as I planned to continue disputing this charge but unfortunately i let too much time pass and they charged off the remaining $250 balance".  Stop disputing cause it hits your scores each time it updates. Time for GW letters although Affirm is a tough one. Like I said PIF quick before a collections is added and more damage is done.

Whos the transmission dealer or auto parts store you used?

Message 2 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I'm failing to see how you didn't get a full refund for the wrong part being shipped. No business that I know of charges a restock fee if they send the wrong item. If they did, they wouldn't stay in business for long.

Are you sure what you're being charged for isn't the accrued interest and fees from the loan? Many of these buy now, pay later lenders have this issue with their customers.

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I'm failing to see how you didn't get a full refund for the wrong part being shipped. No business that I know of charges a restock fee if they send the wrong item. If they did, they wouldn't stay in business for long.

Are you sure what your being charged for isn't the accrued interest and fees from the loan? Many of these buy now, pay later lenders have this issue with their customers.

+1. Good thinking.

Message 4 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

^^ This is exactly what I was going to say! Smiley Happy

The merchant made a mistake. I don't know of anywhere, any state, in the US where it's legal to charge a restocking fee when the merchant sent the wrong product!

OP, if you're really sure that the charge is for what you stated, you have EVERY right to continue disputing it--until you get a full refund. If your facts are accurate, it should never have come to this. Please clarify the sequence of events, starting with receiving the wrong transmission. What happened next?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm confused here.

So you disputed for months hoping there is a decision in your favor while accumulating lates that led to account being in charged off status?

Even if the decision was eventually favorable for you, you would still have "kept" those lates since transaction disputes are covered by cardholder agreement and you broke it. 

The proper way (and the only way) to do this is to make at least minimum payment while there is an active investigation in process. You cannot just ignore balance because you disagree with the decision.

Additionally, if you were preparing for mortgage, how come lates didn't bother you but CO does? That's just the last straw in a long process. 

CO is nothing but an accounting measure, the actual delinquency is the late that precedes it, typically 120+ days. 

I'm afraid your chance of getting GW from Affirm is non existent. 

Message 6 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

The merchant made a mistake. I don't know of anywhere, any state, in the US where it's legal to charge a restocking fee when the merchant sent the wrong product!

OP, if you're really sure that the charge is for what you stated, you have EVERY right to continue disputing it--until you get a full refund. If your facts are accurate, it should never have come to this. Please clarify the sequence of events, starting with receiving the wrong transmission. What happened next?

@SoCalGardenerEach time you dispute accurate info it comes back verified and updated. It refreshes the CO as a new update and then the score dings happen. Not a great idea to keep repeating. OP should settle or PIF and let it age off. Bout all they can do as is stated above m

Message 7 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SoCalGardenerEach time you dispute accurate info it comes back verified and updated. It refreshes the CO as a new update and then the score dings happen. Not a great idea to keep repeating. OP should settle or PIF and let it age off. Bout all they can do as is stated above me.

You assume they're disputing the info on their credit report. They could simply mean they've been disputing the charge with the lender the same way you would contact a credit card for a fraudulent charge.

Message 8 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SoCalGardenerEach time you dispute accurate info it comes back verified and updated. It refreshes the CO as a new update and then the score dings happen. Not a great idea to keep repeating. OP should settle or PIF and let it age off. Bout all they can do as is stated above me.

You assume they're disputing the info on their credit report. They could simply mean they've been disputing the charge with the lender the same way you would contact a credit card for a fraudulent charge.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I went with my statement from the OP's opening post: "I disputed with Affirm but they ruled in the merchant's favor." As well as others said about disputing. But we're from all over. Take things differently. Down here in the south we call it a refund of the remaining balance after turning in the part that didnt fit. On here I guess dispute can be fix anything.

Message 9 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SoCalGardenerDisregard the post in the quote above. Us country folks call it a refund not a dispute. I apologize. My bad.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.