tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help dealing with Affirm charged off

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I'm failing to see how you didn't get a full refund for the wrong part being shipped. No business that I know of charges a restock fee if they send the wrong item. If they did, they wouldn't stay in business for long.

^^ This is exactly what I was going to say! Smiley Happy

The merchant made a mistake. I don't know of anywhere, any state, in the US where it's legal to charge a restocking fee when the merchant sent the wrong product!

OP, if you're really sure that the charge is for what you stated, you have EVERY right to continue disputing it--until you get a full refund. If your facts are accurate, it should never have come to this. Please clarify the sequence of events, starting with receiving the wrong transmission. What happened next?

@SoCalGardenerEach time you dispute accurate info it comes back verified and updated. It refreshes the CO as a new update and then the score dings happen. Not a great idea to keep repeating. OP should settle or PIF and let it age off. Bout all they can do as is stated above me.

You assume they're disputing the info on their credit report. They could simply mean they've been disputing the charge with the lender the same way you would contact a credit card for a fraudulent charge.

Thank you--that's EXACTLY what I had in mind, because if *I* had a fraudulent charge like this--and this *is* a fraudulent charge--I would dispute it first with the merchant--you know, the guy who sent the wrong product?--and if that failed, I'd dispute it with the credit card, as a fraudulent charge. That shouldn't do anything to my credit, right? It never has in the past when I really did do that. And then I'd go to the Better Business Bureau, the state AG, Yelp, and anywhere else I could think of to get the merchant to do the right thing.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 11 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoCalGardenerDisregard the post in the quote above. Us country folks call it a refund not a dispute. I apologize. My bad.

No need for apologies. Smiley Happy

In this situation, there's some confusion on which terms to use, because the MERCHANT screwed up--they sent the wrong product!!--but then they turned around and charged the OP part of the price, which we're all referring to as a restocking fee, even though I don't recall OP saying that. So, as I see it, the merchant screwed up by sending the wrong product, then when the OP returned it, instead of the full refund he should've gotten, the merchant screwed up AGAIN and kept part of the money. Then Affirm screwed up by ruling in the merchant's favor. If this happened to me, there would be no stopping me until I got 100% of my money back AND had any derogatory marks removed from my reports, because it's plain as day that the merchant erred.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 12 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I'm failing to see how you didn't get a full refund for the wrong part being shipped. No business that I know of charges a restock fee if they send the wrong item. If they did, they wouldn't stay in business for long.

^^ This is exactly what I was going to say! Smiley Happy

The merchant made a mistake. I don't know of anywhere, any state, in the US where it's legal to charge a restocking fee when the merchant sent the wrong product!

OP, if you're really sure that the charge is for what you stated, you have EVERY right to continue disputing it--until you get a full refund. If your facts are accurate, it should never have come to this. Please clarify the sequence of events, starting with receiving the wrong transmission. What happened next?

@SoCalGardenerEach time you dispute accurate info it comes back verified and updated. It refreshes the CO as a new update and then the score dings happen. Not a great idea to keep repeating. OP should settle or PIF and let it age off. Bout all they can do as is stated above me.

You assume they're disputing the info on their credit report. They could simply mean they've been disputing the charge with the lender the same way you would contact a credit card for a fraudulent charge.

No assumptions were made, it's direct dispute with lender. 

Message 13 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, Im in a bit of a pickle with affirm. I used them to buy a transmission earlier this year however the merchant sent the wrong transmission. I returned the transmission expecting a full refund but the merchant's policy was to only give partial refund for this type of scenario. I disputed with Affirm but they ruled in the merchant's favor. I let the affirm account sit as I planned to continue disputing this charge but unfortunately i let too much time pass and they charged off the remaining $250 balance to true accord. My credit score dropped 80 points with Experian and I am freaking out because I want to buy a house soon. Experian is saying I have a 630 now. Im wondering how to go about this? Has anybody had any luck with a goodwill letter to affirm? Is there a way I can escaluate the dispute? Should i pay the account with true accord now or wait to get answers on how to proceed? Any help here would be great.

Okay, I've read everyone's responses and honestly, this is where my confusion lies. 

*Didnt you still need a transmission? Why not trade it for the right one? Why ask for a refund?

*What reason did Affirm give for ruling in merchant's favor? I'm sorry, but I feel there's some info missing--we're not getting the whole picture. 

*And lastly, and I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but there's no way in you-know-what that I would procrastinate in getting my money back! What do you mean, "you planned to continue disputing?" How much time did you let go by? 

*Do you know if there's an appeal process or if there was, did that lapse? 

So, OP, I'm sorry this has happened to you, but I'm trying to understand how you got here. And as Remedios asked, why did you stop making payments? 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.