Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLOC before Mortgage?

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: PLOC before Mortgage?

@LjHunter, I would argue opening any new credit account less than a year before applying for credit is a very bad idea, regardless of how thin one's file is.  Here is just one data point; I have spotless credit reports, all showing a single new credit card within the last year, I opened that card in August, even still, my middle Mortgage score is roughly 40 points below my FICO 8 scores and nearly 60 points below my FICO 9 scores.

Long story short, new accounts hurt mortgage scores more than pretty much any of your other scores.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 11 of 16
LjHunter

Ok so you think he's better off just going for the mortgage as he is now. I just wish I'd got him to get a credit card a couple years ago when I first asked! 

Message 12 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@LjHunter wrote:

Ok so you think he's better off just going for the mortgage as he is now. I just wish I'd got him to get a credit card a couple years ago when I first asked! 

Definitely.  I just checked my scores from a couple years ago (the last time my youngest account was over a year old), and all three of my mortgage scores were 800 or higher, now they are all 50+ points lower.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 13 of 16
LjHunter

Good to know, thank you! I appreciate all the feedback. 

Message 14 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@LjHunter wrote:

Hey there, I'm Lj. Been loving everyone's advice here, absorbing tons of info, and now for my first post. (Really looking forward to member status for signature!) 

After the last 3 years of finally paying attention to my credit, I've come a long way and am proud of what I've accomplished credit wise, and now I'm looking to buy my first home. I have a good credit mix already but my SO doesn't and so I've been thinking of doing a joint Personal Line of credit, now that we've recently opened a joint savings account at Truist. 

My question is: If I want to start the approval process in say the next 6 months or so, is it a good idea to apply for a PLOC now? My concern is having a new account/new inquiry. But I'd also love the extra cushion of available cash for unexpected expenses. The only significant way I still need to improve my credit report now is my length of credit history. TIA for any advice! 

my generic sig: 

MyFICO Fico 8 - 767 EQ

Vantage 3.0 - 766 TU

Inquiries 4 

Derogatory/Delinquencies 0

1 vehicle loan

1 personal loan (small, my daughter pays) 

Total Cards 6 (2 zero balance)(+5 closed)

Utilization 7%

AAoA 3.6 years 

oldest acct 9 years 

newest acct 1.5 years (5 new accts) 

You absolutely should NOT make any credit application in the 12 month run up to a mortgage application.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 16
LjHunter

Got it, we've decided to get my SO a credit card and wait at least a year. Not touching my credit now and it gives us a chance to save more for down payment. You guys have been super helpful! Thank you 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.