Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small loan killing my score

tag
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Small loan killing my score

I have a small $240 loan with a balance of $190 remaining. I opened this loan to help with credit mix , so it's a 24 month loan at $10 a month.

It seemed like a good idea, but now it seems to be dragging my score down. Instead of boosting I'm getting dinged for loan balance which just doesn't make any sense. Is this normal? Should I just close?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Re: Small loan killing my score

I'll add that I currently have 2 NFCU pledge loans paid down to 97%. Got this loan before I opened the pledge loans

Message 2 of 8
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

The benefit from this type of loan would be when the balance goes to less than 9% of the original amount.... This is doing nothing positive for you... I'd close it and save your money.

Message 3 of 8
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I just closed it. I hesitated for a couple months becau I thought it would do more damage closing it. However seeing that I'm getting penalized for having it open I've concluded that it will probably cancel it self out now that it's closing paid in full.

Message 4 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

ideally you have one pledge loan, for as long of a term as you can, paid down like you have now. 

how long are your two loans for currently?

I would pay one of them off and when that runs out, apply for a longer term one, 3-5 years

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 8
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Both are for 1000 term of 12 months. I planned on doing a 5 year when these are done. 

Message 6 of 8
FicoMike0
Frequent Contributor

Penfed does $25 x term in months, $1500 for 5 years. 2.05%.

Message 7 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@CreditPoor wrote:

I'll add that I currently have 2 NFCU pledge loans paid down to 97%. Got this loan before I opened the pledge loans

Fico looks at open installment loan B/L ratio in aggregate. You do not get a score boost for individual balance to loan ratios (B/L) below 9% . Aggregate B/L needs to be below 9%.

Having multiple open loans does not help score. Only one is needed. For those with an open mortgage, a token SSL or pledge loan - even if paid to below 9% - will not improve score.

Note: Fico does look at length of installment loan payment history as a scoring factor independent of B/L.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.