cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on negotiating payoff on credit cards?

tag
HorseTears
New Contributor

Tips on negotiating payoff on credit cards?

I'm helping my mom out with some things after my dad's passing. We set up a consultation with a certified financial planner. This particular CFP was gracious enough to offer several pieces of advice during the free consultation. One of them was a fairly obvious one, which I'd anticipated -- that she could afford to pay off her $25k of high interest credit card debt. But, before doing so, she advised actually calling the credit card companies, noting her situation (newly widowed, now only one income) and say she's like to pay off the card(s), but would like to offer lower than the full balance. The CFP said there's no guarantee that any of the credit card companies would accept the offer, but it's always worth a shot. To be clear, my mother is not late/delinquent on any account and she already pays above the minimum on the monthly bills. So, my guess is, there isn't much motivation for a credit card company to accept a lower balance payoff offer from her. But, hey, it's worth a shot.  So, have any of you, in a similar situation, done the same?  If so, any tips or best practices?  Is there a reasonable threshold here for how much less they might accept?  For example, if she offered 80% of the balance would that have a decent chance of being accepted? 

In case it makes a difference, the cards are from Citi, Capital One, Synchrony and Union Bank. 

Also, if a credit card agrees to lower payoff amount, what should she be asking for, specifically? And could this negotiated payoff amount negatively affect her credit scores?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Tips on negotiating payoff on credit cards?

I'm not sure I understand WHY your mom would want to do this. I mean besides the obvious saving of some money. If her credit is in good standing now, *and* she can afford to pay her bills, *and* she's already paying more than minimums, what is her objective? Settling for lower amounts to pay off cards will result in them being closed and--I'm as sure as I can be--will result in negative marks on her credit reports. Why would she do that?

If she's actually in a financial bind and needs to reduce her outflow, that's one thing, but what you're describing doesn't quite sound like that.

If she wants to keep her credit cards and maintain her good credit, perhaps you/she can ask each creditor to lower her APR which, in turn, would make the debt less and take less time to pay off, but it sounds like she can pay the whole amount: "she could afford to pay off her $25k of high interest credit card debt."

Please clarify exactly what her objectives are going forward.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 8
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@HorseTears Asking for a debt settlement from the credit card companies will tank your mother's credit score and the cards will effectively be closed and scored like your mother defaulted on them and then did a payment arrangement for a partial payoff.

Maybe it won't matter to your mother because she doesn't have a need for credit, but there will be implications if she negotiates a partial settlement, even if she only wants to refinance her house at some point or get a new car, etc. 

I am extremely wary of a financial advisor that would give you this advice. I agree that $25k credit card debt is high for a new widow, but your mother tanking her credit score doesn't seem like an answer.

I agree with @SoCalGardener that it makes sense to ask for a lower apr. Perhaps look into balance transfers to low interest, or zero interest cards as a possibility as well.

Message 3 of 8
HorseTears
New Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I'm not sure I understand WHY your mom would want to do this. I mean besides the obvious saving of some money. If her credit is in good standing now, *and* she can afford to pay her bills, *and* she's already paying more than minimums, what is her objective? Settling for lower amounts to pay off cards will result in them being closed and--I'm as sure as I can be--will result in negative marks on her credit reports. Why would she do that?

If she's actually in a financial bind and needs to reduce her outflow, that's one thing, but what you're describing doesn't quite sound like that.

If she wants to keep her credit cards and maintain her good credit, perhaps you/she can ask each creditor to lower her APR which, in turn, would make the debt less and take less time to pay off, but it sounds like she can pay the whole amount: "she could afford to pay off her $25k of high interest credit card debt."

Ah! So, you're saying any negotiated payoff amount would also result in the accounts being closed. I think we were thinking of a situation in which you negotitate a payoff amount, but keep the accounts open. This was really about, yes, saving money in the longrun. Your suggestion of calling to request a lower APR is interesting.  But, even if something can't be negotitated, it may still make sense for her to, at least, paydown the high interest cards. 

As for her overall picture, this is very topline, but...

• She's 71. 
  • Still works, but wants to retire by 75 - salary: $100k/yr (of course, that decision may be made for her prior to then!)
  • Owes $400k on a house worth $1.3 million
  • Has $300k in 401k
  • Will receive a $100k pension
  • Has $120k in checkings and savings (reflective of a life insurance payout for my dad)
  • Receives full social security payment
  • Also receives a UK state pension payment (dual citizen of UK and US)
  • $29k in credit card debt (sorry, I had a typo earlier)
  • Credit scores in mid 700s

We're interviewing CFPs right now to help build a plan for her retirement that would allow her to reduce debt, improve cashflow and identify various options/plans that would allow her to stay in her house post-retirement. 

Edited to add. Here's a summary of the cards...

CARDBALANCEAVAIL CREDITLIMITAPR AVG MONTLY PAYMENT
(Based upon prior 12 mos avg; some months she pays more than others)
Citibank #1 $ 15,825.34 $  2,174.66 $18,000.0029.99% $                          562.00
Citibank #2 $      807.32 $  2,742.68 $  3,550.0020.99% $                          242.00
TJX Synchrony $   1,155.26 $  2,644.74 $  3,800.0026.99% $                          158.60
Union Bank Visa $   4,888.58 $  1,011.42 $  5,900.0014.99% $                          160.00
Capital One #1 $   3,234.84 $  1,365.16 $  4,600.009.67% $                          160.00
Capital One #2 $   3,577.49 $  1,412.51 $  4,990.0019.99% $                          175.00
Capital One #3 $          0.99 $      299.01 $      300.0019.99% $                                  -  
TOTAL $ 29,489.82 $11,650.18 $41,140.00  

Message 4 of 8
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@HorseTears wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Ah! So, you're saying any negotiated payoff amount would also result in the accounts being closed. I think we were thinking of a situation in which you negotitate a payoff amount, but keep the accounts open. This was really about, yes, saving money in the longrun. Your suggestion of calling to request a lower APR is interesting.  But, even if something can't be negotitated, it may still make sense for her to, at least, paydown the high interest cards. 

As for her overal picture, this is very topline, but...

• She's 71. 
  • Still works, but wants to retire by 75 - salary: $100k/yr (of course, that decision may be made for her prior to then!)
  • Owes $400k on a house worth $1.3 million
  • Has $300k in 401k
  • Will receive a $100k pension
  • Has $120k in checkings and savings (reflective of a life insurance payout for my dad)
  • Receives full social security payment
  • Also receives a UK state pension payment (dual citizen of UK and US)

We're interviewing CFPs right now to help build a plan for her retirement that would allow her to reduce debt, improve cashflow and identify various options/plan that would allow her to stay in her house post-retirement. 

Okay, thanks, that makes much more sense now. Yes, negotiating payoffs would result in account closures AND negative marks on credit reports.

If I were in your mom's situation, I would just pay off the $25K CC debt and be done with it. Keep the cards open and keep her good credit, just get rid of the debt. Now, I am *NOT* a financial planner, so this may not at all match up with what a pro tells you, it's just what I'd do given your mom's assets and circumstances.

Also, paying off the debt outright and then contacting the CC companies to ask for lower APRs would probably help. I mean I think they'd be happier to reduce the APR if there was no balance, you know? Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HorseTearsThis: "Has $120k in checkings and savings (reflective of a life insurance payout for my dad)" We say here finances over FICO. Just pay them all off. The savings in paying interest eventualy will come back. She has a nice nest egg and the retirement coming in. I vote just pay it off. No more stress or needed phone calls haggling to get better rates. Be done with it. Just use the cards if needed. Freedom from debt. Its a great feeling. Trust me. Even though I did BK. Not owing anything any longer improved life in general in many ways. Good Luck on your decision.

Message 6 of 8
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

The general consensus is correct in my non-professional opinion... negotiating a lower pay off will result in negative marks on credit reports and cause the account to be closed.

If the debt was in your dad's name and not a joint account, sending a copy of the death certificate to the creditor (call before mailing, as sometimes a different address is used for notifications of death -- and some lenders need more information included with the letter)  *usually* gets the lender to write off the debt and not go after the survivor for payment. 

If your mom is an authorized user on an account held by her late husband, the same can be done with this debt; just be sure to remove her as an authorized user FIRST so it doesn't report on her credit.

Depending on state of residence, all joint accounts must be closed and any accounts that the decedent was primary account holder must be closed.

If saving some money is what her intentions are, perhaps her late husband's debt is where to start (if any was in his name only).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

She appears to be able to pay that debt off with no issues, so that's what she needs to do .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.