cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who unlocks their credit reports once per month?

tag
NotDavidLindhagen

Who unlocks their credit reports once per month?

My FICO score bumped up one month after paying off all debt.  
It has not changed in the 2.5 months since.  
I spend hours each month to keep a perfect AZEO leaving under $20 on only one card.  

I've long kept all three reports locked for years.  
Do I need to unlock them every month for them to be reviewed for increased scores?  

BK7 DC: 6/2014 (Chase, WF, and BofA were IIB) No late payments or baddies since BK7.
GOAL: Gardening 'till October 2022 before applying for core/legacy bank cards with Citi, BofA, and WF (Chase will have to wait until 8/2024).
Amex Platinum & Rose Gold (0%) || Discover $25.5K (≤1%) || Barclays JetBlue Plus $17.5K (0%) || Capital One Venture $12K (0%) || Apple GS $11K (0%)
TCL: $66K [Primary on all lines]
2 HPs as of January 20, 2022:
EQ: None
TU: 8/27/20
EX: 3/18/20

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Who unlocks their credit reports once per month?

@NotDavidLindhagen wrote:

I spend hours each month to keep a perfect AZEO leaving under $20 on only one card.  

Do I need to unlock them every month for them to be reviewed for increased scores?  

If you're pulling the scores yourself then no they don't need to be unfrozen.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NotDavidLindhagen wrote:

No they can be reviewed with soft pulls, whether locked or unlocked.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 9
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Your scores update whenever there's a scorable change to your reports.  As stated above, all that a lock does is prevent hard pulls (as well as some soft ones).  Any credit monitoring service should be able to get a score for you regardless of whether or not there is a lock on your reports.  The CMS should also show the date of the score or report somewhere as well.

One thing I would advise would be to switch from locking to freezing your reports.  They accomplish the same thing, but freezes are free and come with additional protections.

Regarding AZEO, are you preparing your reports to app for something, or are you just doing it for an enjoyable way to spend a few hours?  (Given what forum this is, no judgements if the latter!)

Message 4 of 9
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

Regarding AZEO, are you preparing your reports to app for something, or are you just doing it for an enjoyable way to spend a few hours?  (Given what forum this is, no judgements if the latter!)

🤨

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 5 of 9
NotDavidLindhagen

TY, friend!  I didn't know there was a difference between locking/freezing, but now I know.

No, not planning to app anything; just a miserable way to spend a few hours.  Smiley Happy 

My siggy is not current, and I'm unable to edit/update the siggy.  It says I'm a New Member, but I've called FICO twice--talk about a few hours--and they cannot figure out why the system will not allow them to revert back.

I have zero hard pulls, zero baddies (aside from the BK7), zero debt (except for the $8 on one card for AZEO) and still the scores do not change.  Not even a little. Just the monthly emails stating, "No Changes to the scores."   I'm only working hard to return to the good graces after my BK7 rolls off this Summer.   

I know I may not be typical, traditional member in the community:  I don't want to amass more cards (except for airport lounge access cards from a Chase or or other major bank).  

Thank you again!

BK7 DC: 6/2014 (Chase, WF, and BofA were IIB) No late payments or baddies since BK7.
GOAL: Gardening 'till October 2022 before applying for core/legacy bank cards with Citi, BofA, and WF (Chase will have to wait until 8/2024).
Amex Platinum & Rose Gold (0%) || Discover $25.5K (≤1%) || Barclays JetBlue Plus $17.5K (0%) || Capital One Venture $12K (0%) || Apple GS $11K (0%)

Message 6 of 9
NotDavidLindhagen

Sorry for the delay; I travel a little bit.  Thank you, though!  

Striving to reach 800 unlike most folks.  Smiley Happy

I don't own real estate, and never will.  I'm focused on anything credit-wise that has international benefits.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 9
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Have never locked mine. All scores have ver 800

Message 8 of 9
TrapLine
Established Member

The key for you is what works best. At night you are able to sleep.

Of late, I moved out of real estate and back into investing (slowly). Closing cards as I do not have the spend. Remorse but it is realistic.

You will read many points of view and they vary by card holder. Do what works for you!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.