Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Paid" Delinquent account on credit profile

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

"Paid" Delinquent account on credit profile

Hi all, 

Years and years back, I had an account with Kay Jewelers. Being young and irresponsible, I let it go to collections and the debt was eventually written off and purchased by a collections company. Fast forward to today, I had since paid the debt in full (i was served, so I assume the payment went to the collections company). 

My issue is that the original Kay Jewelers account still shows on my credit report as delinquent and current, where as it was paid in full. I have tried far and wide to get this atleast changed to "paid" as I know it looks somewhat better to lenders, but the response im getting from Kay is that at the time it was written off, it was delinquent and they have no association with the collection company so it has to remain that way. Mind you, the account from the collection company has never shown on my CR....just has always been KAY. 

Do I have any leverage here to get this changed? I have a letter from the lawyer which I sent to Kay and i still get nothing. I plan on purchasing a home in the near future and I know this could help even the slightest but at this point I dont know what to do....any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Paid" Delinquent account on credit profile

While logically, "paid" looks better then "current" or "deliquent" it having gone ot collection is really all that matters. if a collection is on your credit report, regardless of paid status, its going to be a heavy negative.  the only 2 ways to resolve that are:

1)  wait 7 years from when it went to collection.  after 7 years its gone from your report

2) pay the collection company for a "pay for deletion".  not all will do this, and you already paid so your probably out of luck there

Has long has it been since it was collected?

Your efforts are probably better served looking into how to have it removed vs. the status.  the status wont change much.  most of this stuff is automated by lenders, there are typically not human eyes on this unless its something big like a mortgage and even then it going to collection will do more harm then the status will mater

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: "Paid" Delinquent account on credit profile

What does your report show for Kays. You say written off which is a charge off basically. Is there any balance showing on the Kays account. And who did you pay? Whos the collection agency? It should show $0 balance since you paid it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.