Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else have this happen with NFCU?

tag
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

Anyone else have this happen with NFCU?

I received several notifications (CreditKarma, CreditSesame, and Experian) that my score had changed ... and for the better. When I investigated the positive change I discovered NFCU had deleted their tradeline from all three of my credit reports! The DoFD was sometime in 2018 so this account was several years away from the seven-year timeframe for automatic deletion. Is this a glitch in NFCU's system and their tradeline will reappear at some point in the future or is the tradeline permanently deleted?

I would like to get back in with NFCU but I owe them the most $ so they were the last on my list that I was going to contact.

Rebuilding starting date: 7/14/2022
TU = 488; EX = 489; EQ = 467

Goal FICO score: 750 or higher

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~ Robert Frost

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone else have this happen with NFCU?

There is one more option and you are not going to like it.  In the past NFCU didn't sell their paper (bad debts) and simply held onto them.  That may have ended.  I know I have seen a thread on another site where someone's NFCU cc debt was sold to LVNV who is now suing.  LVNV is one of the JDBs who require the OC to delete their trade line when they sell the debt on anticipation that the buyer will be litigating and doesn't want the issue of counter claims.  You need to wait a bit and see if they sold your debt and make sure that either the buyer or NFCU isn't about to litigate this.

Message 2 of 14
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

@Cowboys4Life wrote:

There is one more option and you are not going to like it.  In the past NFCU didn't sell their paper (bad debts) and simply held onto them.  That may have ended.  I know I have seen a thread on another site where someone's NFCU cc debt was sold to LVNV who is now suing.  LVNV is one of the JDBs who require the OC to delete their trade line when they sell the debt on anticipation that the buyer will be litigating and doesn't want the issue of counter claims.  You need to wait a bit and see if they sold your debt and make sure that either the buyer or NFCU isn't about to litigate this.

Thanks for your reply. I hope that isn't what is going on in this case but time will tell. This debt was incurred and the charge-off occurred when we lived in Texas and the SOL in Texas is 4 years which has passed since the DoFD was in early 2018. Experian shows the account will "be on account" until April 2025. I believe (hope) the jurisdiction for a lawsuit would be Texas where the SOL has expired. We now live in Arkansas and according to the information I found online:

Consumers being sued by a collection agency should be aware of the statute of limitations for a breach of contract.  In Arkansas, written contracts have a statute of limitations of 5 years.  However, if a consumer is convinced to make a payment by a collector, the statute of limitation period begins anew as a partial payment or written acknowledgment of default of the debt tolls this statute of limitations (A.C.A. 16-56-111).

Most cases filed against consumers for unpaid debts are filed as ‘breach of contract’ claims.  Thus, a consumer concerned about a collector suit, must be aware of the statute of limitations in a breach of contract action.  In Arkansas, contracts not in writing have a statute of limitations of 3 years (A.C.A. 16- 56-105).

The accounts I had with NFCU were a checking and savings account and a Cash Rewards credit card.

Thoughts?

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~ Robert Frost

Message 3 of 14
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

If you moved to Arkansas BEFORE the SOL expired in Texas then the Arkansas SOL prevails.  If you moved after the SOL expired you can use that as a defense.  The portion in red does not address when the consumer changes jurisdiction.  Where you were when you opened the account and defaulted is not relevant if you changed jurisdiction while the SOL was alive.  They have to sue you where you reside and I do not believe AR has a borrowing statute allowing you to use the TX SOL.  

As for the written contract:  a credit card and bank accounts ARE a written contract.  The terms and conditions spell that out that your opening the account, consenting to the T&Cs and making payments consents to them and forms a contract between you and NFCU.  

Lay low because if they are planning litigation you will need to be ready to defend it.

Message 4 of 14
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

@Cowboys4Life wrote:

If you moved to Arkansas BEFORE the SOL expired in Texas then the Arkansas SOL prevails.  If you moved after the SOL expired you can use that as a defense.  The portion in red does not address when the consumer changes jurisdiction.  Where you were when you opened the account and defaulted is not relevant if you changed jurisdiction while the SOL was alive.  They have to sue you where you reside and I do not believe AR has a borrowing statute allowing you to use the TX SOL.  

As for the written contract:  a credit card and bank accounts ARE a written contract.  The terms and conditions spell that out that your opening the account, consenting to the T&Cs and making payments consents to them and forms a contract between you and NFCU.  

Lay low because if they are planning litigation you will need to be ready to defend it.

According to my Experian report, I opened the account on 12/6/2016. The report indicates "On record until Apr 2025," so I presume the DoFD would have been March/April 2018. Using these dates, the SOL for Arkansas would be March/April 2023, which is just a few months away.

We moved to Arkansas in July 2019, prior to the SOL expiring in Texas or Arkansas.

Edited to add: I just checked my county court records and thankfully nothing has been filed yet. I'll continue to check to see if anything gets filed against me.

Message 5 of 14
KangiCosmos
New Contributor

@Gigi-DFW wrote:

I received several notifications (CreditKarma, CreditSesame, and Experian) that my score had changed ... and for the better. When I investigated the positive change I discovered NFCU had deleted their tradeline from all three of my credit reports! The DoFD was sometime in 2018 so this account was several years away from the seven-year timeframe for automatic deletion. Is this a glitch in NFCU's system and their tradeline will reappear at some point in the future or is the tradeline permanently deleted?

I would like to get back in with NFCU but I owe them the most $ so they were the last on my list that I was going to contact.

Mine did too, but I also got a text from Resurgent who now has the debt. They offered a settlent of 50%. Pay it with in 45 days and they will not put it back on credit report. I am thrilled by it. I paid $100 to secure the offer. Check your emails etc. My 1st deliquency was in 2018 also.

After I pay the settlement I will still call NFCU later to pay the total amount so I can be basck in good graces with them. NFC doesn't black list you if you pay them all the money you owe. They were last on my list too. But Iam beyond happy it wont be on my credit report anymore. They was my last baddie from that time.

Starting Score: 502
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
KangiCosmos
New Contributor

Oh, I think I should mention I spoke with Resurgent on Oct 30th. SO you might get lucky have have the window to take an offer to settle, they had several option, but make sure which ever offer your comfortable with that they agree as long as you do what ever payments on time that they wont put it back on your report.

Best of Luck to you.

Message 7 of 14
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

@KangiCosmos wrote:

@Gigi-DFW wrote:

Mine did too, but I also got a text from Resurgent who now has the debt. They offered a settlent of 50%. Pay it with in 45 days and they will not put it back on credit report. I am thrilled by it. I paid $100 to secure the offer. Check your emails etc. My 1st deliquency was in 2018 also.

After I pay the settlement I will still call NFCU later to pay the total amount so I can be basck in good graces with them. NFC doesn't black list you if you pay them all the money you owe. They were last on my list too. But Iam beyond happy it wont be on my credit report anymore. They was my last baddie from that time.

Thanks for the info on how NFCU handled your account. I'll keep an eye out for something from Resurgent and see if I can get it settled so it doesn't get put back on my report by NFCU or a new delinquent line added by Resurgent. I owe almost $5,000 to NFCU and I currently don't have the cash on hand to pay $2,500 for a 50% settlement as I'm self-employed and sales have been slow. I wonder if Resurgent would work with me on a payment plan. 

So far, nothing from NFCU or Resurgent but I'll keep y'all posted.

Message 8 of 14
KangiCosmos
New Contributor

They do have different payment plans. But for more of settlement. Like reduced 30% for a longer payoff. I'm not sure if they would then not put in on your Report. But if they did would probably delete it once you paid the final agreement. I wanted the 50% reduction settlement. If you don't here from resurgent soon I would call them to see if they have the debt. Or you can go to their websight to check.

Message 9 of 14
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you. Somewhere between November 7th and 10th NFCU removed both of their accounts from my reports. Received a letter today from a firm representing LVNV/Resurgent about one of the accounts. I'm not going to poke the bear because I'm 11 days away from that account being past the statute of limitations (the other account passed in November). 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.