cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oportun CC - Are they considered a subprime card/provider?

tag
kb2ehj
New Contributor

Oportun CC - Are they considered a subprime card/provider?

Subject basically says it all.

Thinking about dropping them next year.

Haven't seen any love out of them in over a year and they started charging an anual fee of $0 - $49, the are charging me $29.

I have no absolutely no late payments with them, have a balance every so often but it's paid off within a month or two and smaller charges are paid off within the billing period.

I called them for why all of a sudden I'm getting charged this annual fee all of a sudden they couldn't answer it,  I asked for it to be removed, nope we can not do that it's all automated......tried several time they wouldn't budge, so on to try for some love.

Ask if I could then get a CLI since it had been well over a year since I got the last one.......got the new 'standard answer'  oh sir it all automated and handled by the computer we can't do anything for you until the computer says you can have one.

So I am not going to drop them until my year that I paid for runs out in March of 2024, but  I am seeing no reason to keep doing business with them either.  So the card is out of the wallet and in the drawer for emergency use only.

Mark

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: Oportun CC - Are they considered a subprime card/provider?

It's considered a "credit builder" card, which I find is a euphemism for a credit card, in many cases, for people with subprime credit.

I now have scores in the 800s, but I'm stupidly hanging on to one subprime card.

I wouldn't get rid of this one until you have at least one card where one must have "good" credit for being approved for that card.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 7
kb2ehj
New Contributor

@donkort wrote:

It's considered a "credit builder" card, which I find is a euphemism for a credit card, in many cases, for people with subprime credit.

I now have scores in the 800s, but I'm stupidly hanging on to one subprime card.

I wouldn't get rid of this one until you have at least one card where one must have "good" credit for being approved for that card.

Thank you for feeling the same way Icdo about them.  Need to make a calendar entey for December of this year to drop them.. I have several what I think are much better.  Ie Discover, Penfed, local credit inion.

Message 3 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Yes.

What other cards (and CL) do you have?

Message 4 of 7
kb2ehj
New Contributor

Provider   Credit Line

PenFed                $7,500 *

Discover              $3,000 *

Amazon               $1,500 (store card only)

Best Buy              $2,500 (true Visa card) *

Local Gov FCU    $9,000

Lowes                   $2,000 (Store card only) *

State Dept CU      $500 (this is also on my radar for cancellation also)

Oportun                 $1,100

Capital One (QS)  $600 (might be on the list for cancellation)

Academy Sports  $700 (store card only) *

Coastal FCU          $1,000 (my main bank)**

* CLincrease in the last 2 weeks

** Went from secured to unsecured and got a CL increase

Depending on what the source is my credit rating I have the following numbers from Credit Karma

Transunion 693

Equafax 662

Here on FICO.COM it is showing as a 657 on Equifax, I don't subscribe to the other two companies.

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

And you wouldnt have what you have now without proving yourself with the subprime card. Rebuild cards are not lifers. Use them for what they're for and then move on and shut them down once things grow on your file. They wont miss you when you do close it. And the same for you.

Message 6 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Your current profile looks good.

I know you just paid the AF but feel free to cut the cord with them now.   They may actually offer to refund the AF when you call to close this card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.