cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real talk... Does an authorized user tradeline actually help rebuild credit?

tag
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Real talk... Does an authorized user tradeline actually help rebuild credit?

OK, so I am a veteran at rebuilding. I am currently on my second rebuild after I filed for bankruptcy last year.

I hear a LOT about putting yourself as an authorized user on someone else’s credit card. I’ve always dismissed this idea, because I don’t believe it’s very beneficial, especially in manual underwriting. However, I recently saw another veteran member mentioning that s/he wish they knew about becoming an authorized user back in the day, so s/he could have avoided predatory rebuilding cards. That made me think… am I missing out?

At the same time, I have noticed my mother has two Chase credit cards that are 15 years old. Should I ask her to add me?

I already have 3 secured credit cards with a $1,000 credit line each.

Edit to add: I don't necessarily need age. I have several cards on my reports that were paid/closed way before my bk. My AAoA is 9 years, and my oldest credit line is 19 years.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Real talk... Does an authorized user tradeline actually help rebuild credit?

@jmcmillan, I'm not much of an advocate for AUs of any stripe and think if one can make do and rebuild without popping the AU genie out of the bottle, so much the better.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 30
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Real talk... Does an authorized user tradeline actually help rebuild credit?

@Horseshoez wrote:

I'm not much of an advocate for AUs of any stripe and think if one can make do and rebuild without popping the AU genie out of the bottle, so much the better.

That's my feeling, as well. But people on Reddit seem to be obsessed with AUs. I'm skeptical that it would change your life, but I am a big believer in secured credit cards.

Message 3 of 30
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@jmcmillan wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I'm not much of an advocate for AUs of any stripe and think if one can make do and rebuild without popping the AU genie out of the bottle, so much the better.

That's my feeling, as well. But people on Reddit seem to be obsessed with AUs. I'm skeptical that it would change your life, but I am a big believer in secured credit cards.

Agreed, when I started my rebuild last year after my Chapter 13 discharge, I ended up going for a secured card with a $5,000 limit and that one card opened up lots of doors for me and has since graduated to unsecured and up to a Signature Visa.  I rather doubt I would be anywhere near as far along had I gone for an AU versus the secured card.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 30
draychi
Valued Member

They are mostly used to lower utilization or to drown out late payments by adding years of payment history. People usually add them to snag a few good cards/account, or when manual underwriting isn't used for a decision. They're really good for thin or new credit files when used for the situations above.

I think the latest FICO model gives AU accounts less value as far as scoring.

Rebuild start: Late 2020 (Low 500's).
- Settled & Removed 9 collections
- 680-700 (03/2022)
- 5.5 year old Chase repo I need to settle

PenFed Power Cash $3.5k | Amex Plat NPSL | Discover IT $2k | Citi $200 | WF Active Cash $300 | FirstPremier $1200 | FirstNational, FirstSavings $850 each | Cap1 Plat $700 | Avant $300 | Surge $1k | Kohls $300 | CreditOne $600 & $1.2k | Jasper MC $1k | Petal1 $500 | OppFi $1k | Prosper $500 | MissionLane $500
Message 5 of 30
jnbowmar
New Contributor

They are INCREDIBLY helpful. They establish amounts owed  via utilization (35 percent of of fico, credit age by adding to average age of account and oldest account (15 percent of fico) and contribute to number of account with balances and other scoring metrics. The only reason I can think of were they are not useful is chase doesn't count them internally when considering credit apps .

Otherwise, they the difference between a young or inexperienced person being able to get prime cards and mortgages or being stuck overpaying banks and auto lenders. 

Message 6 of 30
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I think they help when they are big limits and low utilization.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 30
Joobie
Regular Contributor

It depends on your situation. If age is what you need, being placed on a credit card with a long, established credit history could definitely help you. If utilization has been an issued with you, being placed on a card with a large spending limit could benefit you. You won't know until you try. They could be very beneficial or they can keep your profile the same.

Starting Credit Scores:

Current Credit Scores:

Current Credit Cards (In Order of Approval):
Message 8 of 30
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

AUs are used when you are trying to do an initial build or an initial rebuild when there are no other accounts available to help, this isnt the case for you. I would not become an AU at this point.

Message 9 of 30
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.