cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I a credit addict? How many times can I refresh my credit report in a day?

tag
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I a credit addict? How many times can I refresh my credit report in a day?

@visualfxpro 

In the morning, I daily go through Mint app to check my balances and budget, then jump on Ex and CK app; I like seeing my AAoA specially the age of my youngest account so I start planning for the next hit lol... in the afternoon after I make a purchase, I go back to Mint to put it in the right category of spend. Sometimes I go back and forward to check progress and the rewards strategy for the month. I'm enjoying myself at doing it, a game is how I see it. If it wasn't for this forum I probably wouldn't pay as much attention as I do; that should tell you is a hobby, and I like sharing my personal experience as my credit ages, sometimes looking for advice or knowledge, while also congratulating others for their improvements; there's a social aspect that brings me back to see what the news are, real mature ppl talking and cheering on the credit approval's board.

I like having control over my finances, and I'm glad that I do, so it doesn't feel like homework. This is the kinda mentality I had in my military service, the good that I may have done came from loving my job OBSESSIVELY!! haha

Message 11 of 26
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I a credit addict? How many times can I refresh my credit report in a day?

😆😆😆😆   I aint mad at you. When I was rebuilding I checked the app all the TIME!!!!  Then login to CK and check reporting dates, accts, etc 10 times a day, then check from the laptop/desktop multiple times, then the forum. I was obsessed!!!  It'll pass. Just let it run its course while you have the stomach for it. 

I loved those days!

Message 12 of 26
babbles
Established Contributor

what is mint?

Message 13 of 26
Reviewers
Established Contributor

@visualfxpro Refreshed mine today knowing it wasn't going to update. I'm waiting for 3 late payments to be removed from my credit history (sent out gwl) and they got approved so I'm just waiting for it to get removed. Should bring my score up some more.

Message 14 of 26
visualfxpro
Regular Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

😆😆😆😆   I aint mad at you. When I was rebuilding I checked the app all the TIME!!!!  Then login to CK and check reporting dates, accts, etc 10 times a day, then check from the laptop/desktop multiple times, then the forum. I was obsessed!!!  It'll pass. Just let it run its course while you have the stomach for it. 

I loved those days!

Yes, I'm sure (I hope) it will pass. You have to consider my situation in context. I was under 600 just maybe 4-5 years ago. Passing 700 is a MAJOR milestone even if it's just Vantage. My FICO at 651 is just 49 points from passing the holy grail of 700 club. So that alone is exciting but I have no way of knowing when this will happen. 700 FICO meat is being dangled in front of my while I'm tied up in the back yard, so of course I'm barking all day. I can just SMELL it! lol

Then I'm looking to buy my first multi-family home in a few months. This begins a HUGE journey for me to achieving a major life goal of financial independence. However, simply buying a home is a big enough deal. Then my score will affect the cost of the mortgage and which mortgage I get. So there is much anxiety there.

Then right after I have the house, I'm anxious to see what credit looks like going forward with an active mortgage. Then you have the mission of getting adult credit limits. I'm already preaproved for cards with minimum of $5000 limits when now my highest limit is $1000 unsecured. This will be big also, because with a $5000-$10k limit, there is less need to be so obsessive. Think about it. Right now, if I'm not on top of everything, a SMALL charge of $300 at the wrong time can put me 50% into my card limit and hurt my score. With a reasonable limit I don't need to pay attention so much. All my cards have auto-pays of some sort so late pay is not issue and letting balances get reported won't be an issue anymore. I'm not spending more than $3000/mo and half of that is rent, which is only now going through credit because I'm trying to boost my credit, so later this year it will be nearly have that. So with real limits, I won't have any utilization fears anymore. I can relax and focus on other things.

So in short, a LOT is happening in a short period of time and I'm really close to a major purchase and credit is at the center of everything. If I'm already in my new house and I've got my $5000k+ limit card, there is no need to pay so much attention to credit anymore. My credit will grow with time and it should be easier with much higher limits.

May 2022: TU Fico 8: 692 | EQ Fico 8: 713 | EX Fico 8: 708
NFCU Flagship Rewards $25,000 | Capitol One $750 | TD Bank $1000 | Bank of America $3000 | Wells Fargo $500 | Amazon $4000

Charge Off from 2015: Municipal Credit Union $5300 ($6500 limit)[PAID IN FULL]
Credit Age: 4 years | Inquiries (6/12/24 month): 12 mo | Debt to Income ratio: 10%
Message 15 of 26
visualfxpro
Regular Contributor

@babbles wrote:

what is mint?

Mint.com connects all your accounts in one place for visibility and budgeting purposes. 401k, savings, crypto...

May 2022: TU Fico 8: 692 | EQ Fico 8: 713 | EX Fico 8: 708
NFCU Flagship Rewards $25,000 | Capitol One $750 | TD Bank $1000 | Bank of America $3000 | Wells Fargo $500 | Amazon $4000

Charge Off from 2015: Municipal Credit Union $5300 ($6500 limit)[PAID IN FULL]
Credit Age: 4 years | Inquiries (6/12/24 month): 12 mo | Debt to Income ratio: 10%
Message 16 of 26
Hex
Valued Contributor

@visualfxpro 

I was the same way when I started out and I still check too often but like many others here I consider it a hobby. And if you're gonna have a hobby it might as well be one that can improve your quality of life. I've spent too much money on credit reports but I'm pretty certain that in the end I will have saved more in interest and reaped more in rewards than I spent on credit reports. I will offer you one word of caution though. Be careful about how frequently you check Equifax. When I started out I had a service that included daily Vantage 3 scores for all three bureaus and so naturally I checked them all daily. Unbeknownst to me at the time evey time you check your own credit a soft pull record is added to your file which is fine except that Equifax has a hard time managing too much data. I ended with so many Equifax soft pulls that my credit file got too large and I ended up with a split file on Equifax which was a total nightmare to deal with. If your file gets split no one (including you) can pull a report. Other than that I'd say enjoy!   Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do check all 3 reports on a daily basis. I have been adding 3 to 5 new accounts a month so I watch them to appear. I also have a list of closing dates and payment due dates so I am never late having so many cards.

Yes, It is a hobby for me too. Sort of like stamp collecting but this at least gives you cash back on your purchases LOL

Thanks

Mark

Message 18 of 26
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Lmao 😂 

thanks, Mark.

Message 19 of 26
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@visualfxpro  you're at the MOST exciting time imho.  Right at the threshold of 700's and ready to make big moves, that's what's its all about my friend.  Mazel Tov!  That was an anxious, nerve-wracking, tense, and FUN time. Enjoy the ride. You've earned it!

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.