Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Informed Delivery

tag
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

USPS Informed Delivery

Has anyone heard of the USPS Informed Delivery service which send scanned images of your expecyted postal mail for the day  to your email address? I received one of these emails yesterday, don't recall signing up for it but when I went to check my mailbox, everything in the email was in my mailbox. The odd thing was I had two letters from Citibank and in addition to the scanned image of the outside of the envelope, there was the caption below indicating these were  balance transfer offers. 😳

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: USPS Informed Delivery

I'm pretty sure this service has been around for a few years. I don't remember exactly when I started using it, but it must've been 3 or more years ago.

There have been times when some pieces of mail didn't arrive the day they were expected but maybe a day later. Some mail actually never came, so I figured it got lost in transit or something. The service can be helpful, but it also gave me some anxiety when mail didn't arrive when it was supposed to Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 13
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@MySunrise271 wrote:

Has anyone heard of the USPS Informed Delivery service which send scanned images of your expecyted postal mail for the day  to your email address? I received one of these emails yesterday, don't recall signing up for it but when I went to check my mailbox, everything in the email was in my mailbox. The odd thing was I had two letters from Citibank and in addition to the scanned image of the outside of the envelope, there was the caption below indicating these were  balance transfer offers. 😳

It's a real service, but it's one that's been used for identity theft, including ordering credit cards in other people's names. Don't click on any links in the email. Go directly to the USPS website, and secure the account. If it's setup with your email, you probably just forgot about it. But if it's not, that means someone else signed up using your name to watch your mail. Not a terrible idea to pull your credit reports and see if any accounts have appeared.

Message 3 of 13
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@MySunrise271 wrote:

I have had this service for at least a decade.  When I lived in an apartment complex with a mailbox area it was extremely handy to know when to go grab mail.  I still use the service now that I own a house because there is one mailbox stand on each street.  Mail is not delivered straight to your home.  

The service did save my behind when I had ordered sneakers from the internet.  Got an email indicating they had shipped and when too much time passed and customer service didn't respond to emails I initiated a charge back.  Suddenly customer service answered on when they had been delivered.  Went and checked and turns out my delivery notification had the package listed somewhere I didn't look to see it was in one of the package mailboxes.  Went and found the key in my mailbox and grabbed the shoes a day before the carrier would have returned them.  Reversed the charge back.  I have used my notifications several times when a business claims they sent something and I can use the email with the digital images to show no notification of delivery.  

I like it.  As for the display of information:  as long as it isn't in collections I wouldn't worry.  The sheer volume of mail carriers deal with I doubt they have time to read everyone's mail to see what they are getting sent to them.  

Message 4 of 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I have been using it for a couple of years.  It's a great way to make sure you're getting the mail you're suppose to get.  Comes like this:

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 13
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

I don't  recall signing up for it so I was suspicious of its legitimacy, but it does seem like a great tool 🙂

Message 6 of 13
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

This was my first time seeing it show up, not sure how I receive it but seems handy.🙂

Message 7 of 13
BillSmiff
Established Member

I have had the service for about 4 years; if you got the email you (or someone) has established an account for you. When you go online to USPS you obviously know your email to login and maybe your device auto remembered your password. If not you have the email and can reset it.

Maybe it is different than in AZ, but I have to pay to have the service but by now you probably have it figured out. I originally paid for 6 months not knowing how long I'd need the service; USPS is very prompt about a month or so from the expiration date and start emailing me reminders.  I finally did the auto renew about a year ago but they still emailed me a reminder. Maybe check your email history and see what you see....they got your email somehow!

RH 

Message 8 of 13
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

I'm in Illinois and I'm definitely not paying for this mystery service...will definitely look into how I've been able to receive this service.  Thanks!!

@BillSmiff wrote:

I have had the service for about 4 years; if you got the email you (or someone) has established an account for you. When you go online to USPS you obviously know your email to login and maybe your device auto remembered your password. If not you have the email and can reset it.

Maybe it is different than in AZ, but I have to pay to have the service but by now you probably have it figured out. I originally paid for 6 months not knowing how long I'd need the service; USPS is very prompt about a month or so from the expiration date and start emailing me reminders.  I finally did the auto renew about a year ago but they still emailed me a reminder. Maybe check your email history and see what you see....they got your email somehow!

RH 

Message 9 of 13
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Yes, I didn't click in the email and went directly to USPS website. I like it, just don't know how I was signed up to receive it. So far it's been spot on with what's shown up in my mailbox. I have a fraud alert on all my reports requesting a phone call before opening any new accounts, but I will pull them and make sure nothing suspicious is showing up.  Thanks!!

@Anonymalous wrote:

@MySunrise271 wrote:

It's a real service, but it's one that's been used for identity theft, including ordering credit cards in other people's names. Don't click on any links in the email. Go directly to the USPS website, and secure the account. If it's setup with your email, you probably just forgot about it. But if it's not, that means someone else signed up using your name to watch your mail. Not a terrible idea to pull your credit reports and see if any accounts have appeared.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.