Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyout Questions on Toyota Lease

tag
GFer
Valued Contributor

Buyout Questions on Toyota Lease

Lease will be up in about 4 months.  I would like to buy the vehicle (wished I had to begin with!).  The value of the car is actually a little more than the buyout amount per kbb. Curious as to if I'd be better off financing with say a CU vs Toyota?  I've never leased a vehicle, so this is all new to me.  Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated!  TIA

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buyout Questions on Toyota Lease

Might be too soon to decide because who knows what Toyota Finance's captive APR will be for someone with perfect FICO scores...

CU will likely tell you their best rate but with Fed rates going up this year, rates might be higher in 4 months.

I bet CU will have a better rate, but Toyota captive might be really competitive, too.

Message 2 of 4
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

I would call Toyota finance and get the complete payoff on the vehicle (meaning they release title). Then go to your credit union and see what kind of rate you can get. Bare in mine, in some states (like mine), when you buy your lease out, you have to pay sales tax on the payoff. Your credit union should be able to tell you if that is applicable to you.  If you like their rate and payment, then proceed with refinance now and be done with it. You don't have to wait till the very end of the lease to do this. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 3 of 4
Kree
Established Contributor

I just did a lease buyout with Nissan.

1.  I wish I had done it a few months early.  Found out after making the last payment that Nissan will waive the last 2 months of lease payments (Toyota might be similar).

2. DCU gave me 2.49% with 700s, didn't even check with Nissan for their percentage.

3.  Contact Toyota's end of lease department.  Any other department will make a mess of the paperwork. (atleast Nissan did)

4. Certain goto lenders like Cap1 do not deal with lease buyouts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.