Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance Advice

I recently bought a car and owe about 15 thousand on the loan with 19% rate. My scores are around 550-600. I pay everything on time and have 5 open credit cards and just paid the balances below 50% on all of them. I am working now on settling some collection accounts and so far have settled 4 off with 3 of them agreeing to have the items deleted from my report. Will this make my score higher? I am wanting to refinance my vehicle in 6 months-1 year but dont know who I should try with or when I should try??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Refinance Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently bought a car and owe about 15 thousand on the loan with 19% rate. My scores are around 550-600. I pay everything on time and have 5 open credit cards and just paid the balances below 50% on all of them. I am working now on settling some collection accounts and so far have settled 4 off with 3 of them agreeing to have the items deleted from my report. Will this make my score higher? I am wanting to refinance my vehicle in 6 months-1 year but dont know who I should try with or when I should try??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Collections are a major derogatory, so having them deleted from your report can have a nice effect on your score.  However, when you have a lot of them, you don't see as much improvement because the remaining ones are still holding you down.  It can also depend on whether it is the more recent ones that are getting deleted or the older ones.  The most recent collections are hurting you the most, so you'll see less benefit from the older ones being deleted, and vice versa.  Still, getting 3 collections deleted is great as you have to start somewhere. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refinance Advice

Thanks for the advice. I paid some accounts off a month ago and checked my scores today and they went up anywhere between 20-35 points!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.