Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

[ Edited ]

The other thread was locked due to it being so old. It probably had some out of date info anyway Smiley Happy Thought I would start a new one since it seemed to help a lot. All of these are YMMV and not a guarantee

Last edited 08/10/2017 to add info on Merrick

- AMEX:           Recently we have come to the conclusion that 5 years post file date is the absolute earliest

- BofA:             The little info we have shows they will approve around 4 years post d/c if not IIBK. We have now seen some approvals around 3 years post d/c. As always YMMV

- Barclay:         They like to see about 6-12 months of some revolving history before approving. If denied make sure to recon!!!! Also YMMV

- BCU:              Will approve a secured card fresh out of BK

- Chase:           Based off the minimal data we have, 2.5 years post d/c seems to be about the earliest. Chase auto declines w/ BK so will require recon and good rebuild. Not so friendly if they were burned.

- Capital One:  Very friendly and will approve as soon as the day you are discharged. YMMV but they also seem to let you back in fairly quick after burning them. When IIB there is some info that you may not be able to get back in until 1 year post (or one year post CO date)

- Credit One:    Very friendly, just watch all the fee's

- Comenity:      Sometimes will be the first to approve via SCT. Visa/MC products will be harder to get from them until about 1 year post d/c

- Citi:                Will not consider until 7 years post d/c Home Depot seems to be a different story. We have now seen an approval on the Costco Visa as early as 3 years 9 months post d/c (Citi was not IIB)

- DCU:              Unsecured card requires 2 years post d/c, minimum 620 EQ, revolving history for them to review

- Discover:       YMMV big time here. A year post d/c seems like an ok ish time to try. Some have been approved earlier and some have been denied later. Tough cookie

- Fingerhut:     Very friendly and will often be the first to approve fresh out of BK

- Merrick          Very friendly to recent BK's. They also like to send pre-approvals to people who have a recent BK.

- NFCU:            Very friendly as we all know Smiley Happy May need to send secure message to recon denail

- NASA FCU:    They like you to be 2 years post BK with rebuilding on revolving TL's

- PenFed:         Seems they want some revolving history to look over and at least a 620. If denied make sure to take the survey and explain your dissatisfaction (this has worked as a recon for MANY.

- Synchrony:    Another YMMV. Sometimes as early as 3 months post d/c Others have luck around 1 year post d/c

Backdoor numbers thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

I know I have missed a bunch so help me out everyone!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
735 EQ FICO 09/2017
744 TU FICO 09/2017
737 EX FICO 09/2017
$20k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $17k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

CitiBank also seems to auto-decline with a BK... or at least 3 years out in my experience.  Only reason listed for decline, at least.

.05/12-BK01/16
EQ476683
TU493723
EX481683

1st Goal: 700 club. Ultimate Goal: 800 club.
Official Home Owner as of 04/15/15 - Re-entered the Garden 06/08/2015
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Scupra wrote:

- Chase:           Based off the minimal data we have, 3 years post d/c seems to be about the earliest. Chase auto declines w/ BK so will require recon and good rebuild

No dice with Citi and Chase for me. 

Despite my solid profile and $5-$10k CC experience I have been declined by both citing the BR.  I was 71 months post filing and 22 months post discharge when I applied for both in March 2015.  I was also denied on recon. I've given up until everything falls off my reports in the coming months.

AmEx denied 55 months post filing 6 months post discharge... approved $5k revolver 68 months post filing 19 months post discharge.

Same with Discover.

None of the above (Citi, Chase, AmEx, Discover) were IIB.

Citi and Chase seem to play hardball longer... probably the 36 months post discharge that you mentioned.  Smiley Wink

2015 Dodge Challenger RT @ 4.49% opened: 1/15 $5k in student loans opened: 3/01 AAoA: 5.5 years
myFICO 5-5-16 EQ: 730 EX: 738 TU: 733 / CC UTI: 32% / Gardening since: 3-25-15
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, Citi I have no info on really. I never looked as I heard they are very conservative. I was scared to add Discover to my list as they are all over the map! Smiley Very Happy

edit: Does everyone want me to try and keep the OP updated, or just keep it as a running thread like the last one?

735 EQ FICO 09/2017
744 TU FICO 09/2017
737 EX FICO 09/2017
$20k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $17k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE
Senior Contributor

Updating the OP would be good... with a date of last update.  Smiley Wink

2015 Dodge Challenger RT @ 4.49% opened: 1/15 $5k in student loans opened: 3/01 AAoA: 5.5 years
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

TRC_WA wrote:

Now you're just asking for a lot! hahaha

735 EQ FICO 09/2017
744 TU FICO 09/2017
737 EX FICO 09/2017
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

TRC_WA wrote:

^^ This ^^

I should add that my Chase & Citibank declines were right at 36 months post-discharge (to the date), with optimized scores (had just closed on a mortgage that wasn't reporting yet).

Edit for request below: I didn't have any CCs in my BK filing. My husband had BoA and Synchrony, neither of whom we've applied with since (I detest BoA and Synchrony just hasn't come up).

.05/12-BK01/16
EQ476683
TU493723
EX481683

1st Goal: 700 club. Ultimate Goal: 800 club.
Official Home Owner as of 04/15/15 - Re-entered the Garden 06/08/2015

Would it be an inconvenience to include in the running list whether or not they were IIB? hopefully I worded that correctly, lol. I have several companies that are included in my filing and I'm wondering who I may have luck with in the future.
Senior Contributor

Scupra wrote:

TRC_WA wrote:

Now you're just asking for a lot! hahaha

Would be a lot easier to see the OP for all the updates rather than having to scroll through 10+ pages looking for the info. 

But you knew that... Smiley Wink

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

flowergirl2015 wrote:
Would it be an inconvenience to include in the running list whether or not they were IIB? hopefully I worded that correctly, lol. I have several companies that are included in my filing and I'm wondering who I may have luck with in the future.

I can absolutely try! I don't have any experience with it though. If we can come to a conclusion of a time period the lender likes, I can add it Smiley Happy So far it seems to be a YMMV thing if the lender was IIBK

735 EQ FICO 09/2017
744 TU FICO 09/2017
737 EX FICO 09/2017

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.