Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan reporting as IIB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan reporting as IIB

This is obviously not accurate. And I don't want it to hurt my credit. Can I just dispute it like any other error? My lawyer listed it in our creditors (I don't know why, he knew it was a student loan). Will that make a difference?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan reporting as IIB

HAHAHA, the same EXACT thing happened to me. I emailed my bankruptcy attorney about this, and he said the court made a mistake. Do you have your bankruptcy discharge paperwork? You could make a case stating that it was wiped, but my attorney said that it was actually still valid. YMMV. I'm personally going to keep making payments, but I only owe a few thousand. If you owe a ton, I would go visit an attorney and ask them. Bring all of your bankruptcy paperwork.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The loans are reported because they are debt. Mine showed up as IIB right after discharge, but went back to normal with Experian and Equifax after a month.

I electronically disputed the student loans still reporting as IIB with TransUnion, and TU ended up removing all my cosigner loans. $60k in debt just *poof*. I assume it would start reporting again if the loans were in default.

Message 3 of 4
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

This is normal behavior and no dispute will be required.

Your student loans have to be included because they are debt, but will not be discharged.  They will go into forebearance as well, where no payment will be required until discharged, but interest will accrue and be capitalized after discharge.  With that said, keep up with them, because after discharge, they will not tell you when payments resume, and will be up to you to ensure payment is received timely after discharge.

They will go back to reporting normal (with no history during your proceedings) after your first payment is received after discharge and you resume normal cycles.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.