cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Approved / Amex EveryDay Card Denied!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold Approved / Amex EveryDay Card Denied!

I recently applied for the Amex Gold card and was approved, so I figured it would be great to also apply for the EveryDay Card since it seemed that it was relatively easy to get approved for from forum posts i've seen.

I applied for the card and was denied with a whole boatload of reasons mainly related to my EX report.  Has anyone been approved for an AMEX card only to be denied for another AMEX card in such close proximity?

I think i waited about 2 weeks to apply for the EveryDay card.  

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold Approved / Amex EveryDay Card Denied!

No.  I see your EX score is a lot lower than the others.  Is there something on it?  Maybe the reason for denial of the second card?   I would use your first card heavily & wait a bit and try again for the second.  They like a lot of usage.

Message 2 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for the Amex Gold card and was approved, so I figured it would be great to also apply for the EveryDay Card since it seemed that it was relatively easy to get approved for from forum posts i've seen.

I applied for the card and was denied with a whole boatload of reasons mainly related to my EX report.  Has anyone been approved for an AMEX card only to be denied for another AMEX card in such close proximity?

I think i waited about 2 weeks to apply for the EveryDay card.  

This happens everyday (no pun intended Smiley Happy ).. Give it a few months with Amex and you should be good with some history

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX seems to be slow in updating so the numbers there are a bit skewed as far as credit utilization, and a collections that was taken care of ages ago.  I looked at the reports side by side and they aren't THAT different, so I'm not sure why the EX numbers are so low.  Finding it quite annoying though watching TU and EQ continue to move up quickly while EX is moving at this glacial pace...

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!  I'll keep the Gold card usage healthy for about 3-6 months then will apply for one of their credit cards

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may have been a different result if you applied for the ED card IMMEDIATELY after you were approved for the PRG. That is how many of us on here have done it.

Wait 90 days and try again.

Experian tends to get a lot of action inquiry wise. Did you have a lot of inquiries or a high utilization?

Message 6 of 23
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Amex gives you very specific reasons for denial. What did they say? History? Negative items? DTI? 

Something to consider: The underwriting criteria for the charge cards are looser than the revolvers like the Everyday. 

Message 7 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Amex gives you very specific reasons for denial. What did they say? History? Negative items? DTI? 

Something to consider: The underwriting criteria for the charge cards are looser than the revolvers like the Everyday

I disagree with this as when I was trying to get in with Amex I couldnt get approved for the green card but the delta card no problem...  Then tried green card same day and denial... I have no doubt I could get it now or any of their CC, but I believe the delta is probably the easiest for most.. Although as always YMMV..  It has been proved many times that CC aren't necessarily easier to get approved for then revolvers and I am one of the people that is proof.  Anways, just wanted to add m 2 cents in

Message 8 of 23
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Something to consider: The underwriting criteria for the charge cards are looser than the revolvers like the Everyday. 

**Ditto**

Managing your current charge has a lot less to do with your future approval odds than does the reasons for your initial denial. Also ppl fail to consider that approval for Amex chargers are more lax than for their cc's. When u stated that there were a 'boatload' of denial reasons, that indicates things U specifically need to address. Forget what your other CR's report in relation to your EX file (and vice versa) as its negligible. U hav to target-research cards you're interested in: meaning U need to know what issuers are looking for in the varying products they offer and not assume one criteria automatically spills n2 the next.

Furthermore what works for some doesnt work for all bcuz credit pofiles differ and as such so will the results. Good luck.

Message 9 of 23
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Something to consider: The underwriting criteria for the charge cards are looser than the revolvers like the Everyday

I disagree with this as when I was trying to get in with Amex I couldnt get approved for the green card but the delta card no problem...  Then tried green card same day and denial... I have no doubt I could get it now or any of their CC, but I believe the delta is probably the easiest for most.. Although as always YMMV..  It has been proved many times that CC aren't necessarily easier to get approved for then revolvers and I am one of the people that is proof.  Anways, just wanted to add m 2 cents in

Sounds like a YMMV situation for you. The anecdotal evidence in these forums seems to state otherwise.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.