cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a 12 mo. zero interest card

tag
rahmsd1

Considering a 12 mo. zero interest card

To consolidate my debt and pay it off during the introductory period. The savings is great for me and I can do this but i am worried that it will have a negative impact on my CR. (i am four years from retirement and want my bills gone now so I can save more in the mean time. What is the best advice please?   Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Considering a 12 mo. zero interest card

For sure, go for it! This is a smart use of credit as long as you quit using your other cards. Don't get sucked into the trap that since your other cards are paid off that you can start running balances on  them again and you'll be fine.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 9
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

CHASE Slate?

It's everywhere.....

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Slate is the best because, in addition to the 15 month 0% APR, you have no Balance Transfer fees for the first 60 days. 

Outside of Slate, there are quite a few cards that offer 12-18 months at 0% APR, but most of them have a 3% balance transfer fee. That's still a good deal when compared to market rates of return or credit card APRs, so if Slate isn't enough, go for one of those. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont get the Slate, it has no rewards.. get the Freedom and it can be turned into a SIGGY once the limit is over 5k. and it has rewards.

Smiley Happy

Cheers

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom is not a good call. It has balance transfer fees. If your goal is to consolidate your debt onto one card, your objectives should primarily be 0% APR and 0% balance transfer fees. I'm sorry, but Slate is a much better choice than Freedom for the OP. 

Message 6 of 9
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dont get the Slate, it has no rewards.. get the Freedom and it can be turned into a SIGGY once the limit is over 5k. and it has rewards.

Smiley Happy

Cheers

You're not looking for rewards if you intend to BT. You are looking for 0% interest and preferably 0% BT fees. Slate! You can always transfer you CL to another Chase card when your 0% time runs out or you have paid off your balance as it was intended for. The reward is not paying interest!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

There's a few decent options, I think the best two are Bank Of America Better Balance Rewards (BBR) and the Chase Slate and depends how much you are trying to BT.

Chase Slate:  15 months 0% plus no BT fee.  

BoA BBR:  12 months 0%, but a 3% BT fee.  However, you earn a $25 bonus every 3 months you make at least the minimum payment ontime.  Obviously the BT fee negates this benefit if you plan to transfer over $3k.

Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@rahmsd1 wrote:

To consolidate my debt and pay it off during the introductory period. The savings is great for me and I can do this but i am worried that it will have a negative impact on my CR. (i am four years from retirement and want my bills gone now so I can save more in the mean time. What is the best advice please?   Thank you

How much debt are you looking to consolidate? What is the interest rate you are paying now on each card?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.