Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Yes, according to credit karma it was a HP for my CLI request. They didn't give me a reason when I called, just that pulls can either be hard or soft for CLIs, I assumed it had to do with not having a credit score yet.

Message 2761 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood.  That makes sense.  I didn't realize you didn't yet possess a credit score.

Message 2762 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

My date for my initial 61 day cli is coming up.  I have been pumping a ton of cash through this card and paying it off 2-3x's a week.  My initial SL was $1k.  Can I ask for more then a 3x's CLI?  I have already put $6k through the card in less then 2 months.  I want to use this as my main card but I need a realistic limit.  Also when requesting the CLI and since I want to ask for more I should call in correct instead of doing it online?  Thanks for any info ahead of time 

Message 2763 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My date for my initial 61 day cli is coming up.  I have been pumping a ton of cash through this card and paying it off 2-3x's a week.  My initial SL was $1k.  Can I ask for more then a 3x's CLI?  I have already put $6k through the card in less then 2 months.  I want to use this as my main card but I need a realistic limit.  Also when requesting the CLI and since I want to ask for more I should call in correct instead of doing it online?  Thanks for any info ahead of time 

When I requested more than the 3x CLI, I was countered with the max 3x CLI. This was before I hit 34.5k. I believe it was when I had 6k. I requested 20k and came back with 18k. If you want more than the 3x CLI, you'd probably have to call and talk to a CSR and do a HP instead of the SP. I usually just chat with the CSR reps for AMEX. It's pretty convenient. Good luck!

Message 2764 of 5,432
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I requested more than the 3x CLI, I was countered with the max 3x CLI. This was before I hit 34.5k. I believe it was when I had 6k. I requested 20k and came back with 18k. If you want more than the 3x CLI, you'd probably have to call and talk to a CSR and do a HP instead of the SP. I usually just chat with the CSR reps for AMEX. It's pretty convenient. Good luck!

While it never hurts to try, I've never heard of Amex doing a HP for a CLI, even if someone were to ask them to.

From: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-useless-is-an-Amex-charge-card/m-p/4784071#M1392055

@Anonymous wrote:

The numbers and formulas you see online are largely outdated by now (including that silly $250K number for Centurion). The only formula that remains true is that you cannot request for more than 3x your current limit during a CLI request. While it's true that your spending ability is influenced by your spend on the AXP network, we have a lot more data available to us that allows an appropriate spending ability to be assigned.. and yes to Jamaica.. don't play with that feature because you're telling the system you plan to spend that within 10 days! Lol.. That's one reason why I moved to have the virtual limit simply displayed... It was causing a lot of unnecessary credit-related issues.

(Pooka89 is a current Amex employee)

I'm only providing this so that you can set your expectations accordingly, not to discourage you from giving it a try.  I'm a big proponent of giving things a try even if it goes against the 'common knowledge', since we all know the "rules" can change over time. 

If you find that the 3x rule has changed be sure to let us know!  Smiley Happy

Message 2765 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While it never hurts to try, I've never heard of Amex doing a HP for a CLI, even if someone were to ask them to.

From: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-useless-is-an-Amex-charge-card/m-p/4784071#M1392055

@Anonymous wrote:

The numbers and formulas you see online are largely outdated by now (including that silly $250K number for Centurion). The only formula that remains true is that you cannot request for more than 3x your current limit during a CLI request. While it's true that your spending ability is influenced by your spend on the AXP network, we have a lot more data available to us that allows an appropriate spending ability to be assigned.. and yes to Jamaica.. don't play with that feature because you're telling the system you plan to spend that within 10 days! Lol.. That's one reason why I moved to have the virtual limit simply displayed... It was causing a lot of unnecessary credit-related issues.

I'm only providing this so that you can set your expectations accordingly, not to discourage you from giving it a try.  I'm a big proponent of giving things a try even if it goes against the 'common knowledge', since we all know the "rules" can change over time. 

As disappointing as it is to only go to $3k from the abysmal $1k SL it is what it is.  I will just have to wait another 6 months for my next one to make the card respectable.  Thanks for setting it straight, that's the only way I like it.

Message 2766 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As disappointing as it is to only go to $3k from the abysmal $1k SL it is what it is.  I will just have to wait another 6 months for my next one to make the card respectable.  Thanks for setting it straight, that's the only way I like it.

I feel you. Had a $1k starting limit in March and they only let me goto $2k after 62 days (not even 3k!). Thankfully they let me do a 3x CLI in November so I'm sitting at 6k now. Now I can only hope for another 3x CLI in May. 

Message 2767 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB Lowe's account opened at $500 raised to $5000 in less than 60 days (bought and paid off $1000 merchandise)
GEMB tjmaxx account opened at $400 raised to $3500 in less than 60 days (bought and paid off $800 merchandise)
Message 2768 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
GEMB Lowe's account opened at $500 raised to $5000 in less than 60 days (bought and paid off $1000 merchandise)
GEMB tjmaxx account opened at $400 raised to $3500 in less than 60 days (bought and paid off $800 merchandise)

This is an Amex thread, so unfortunately those CLIs with non-Amex cards really don't provide any data points that are helpful with this thread.

Message 2769 of 5,432
HighScoreSeeker
Established Member

After waiting 6 months (a few days longer) from my last request, I decided to try and double the limit on my BCE to 50k. I got the "decision mailed out in 5-7 days" message. I retried lowering the request to 35k but it said the same. Expecting an IV, I was going to wait in the mail for it. However, after about 5 mins I got an email stating they made a decision and to contact Customer Care to get the details. I called and got the automated system which said it could not find a request and it walked me through requesting again. I did the request for 35k and it said a decision would be mailed out. I opted to speak with a rep and she looked it up and said the reason was that I couldn't receive more than one credit increase in 6 months. She reviewed my account and saw that my last increase was in June. I did have an auto CLI on my HHonors card from 6 to 10k but she said that should not matter since the 6 months is per card (credit decision rep said opposite when I spoke to her later). She offered to process a request and if it came back with the same she could transfer me over to the credit decision dept to find out reason immediately - I agreed. Same thing happened, she transferred me over and they informed me that the system could not approve 50k but gave a suggested limit of 47,900. I accepted that amount and she said it will be available on my account tomorrow. 

So if you happen to get the "5-7 days" message, try calling Customer Care to have them check on a lesser approved amount.

Goal: 5/1/21 Acheived! 800+ Across the Board | Current Scores 5/17/21 - EQ: 803 TU: 822 EX: 807
Message 2770 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.