Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA after BK - Data Points

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

USAA after BK - Data Points

So I have been a member since 91'. I have had bank accounts, a CC, home owners insurance, car insurance and a personal loan in the past. My CC charged off 10+ years ago. I filed BK - 2 years ago. My rebuild has been stellar. I just got access to the USAA website again after many years of being locked out. So I called in got a credit rep. I explained my past and my BK. He said I should apply there are NO RED FLAGS or issues with my memberships status which he has seen. So I applied with a 672 EQ for their AMEX. I was denied due to my BK. What a waste of a HP.
So now I really have no clue the time frame to reapply. I do plan on opening a checking/savings account along with moving my home owners back to them.
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: USAA after BK - Data Points

@tussking wrote:
So I have been a member since 91'. I have had bank accounts, a CC, home owners insurance, car insurance and a personal loan in the past. My CC charged off 10+ years ago. I filed BK - 2 years ago. My rebuild has been stellar. I just got access to the USAA website again after many years of being locked out. So I called in got a credit rep. I explained my past and my BK. He said I should apply there are NO RED FLAGS or issues with my memberships status which he has seen. So I applied with a 672 EQ for their AMEX. I was denied due to my BK. What a waste of a HP.
So now I really have no clue the time frame to reapply. I do plan on opening a checking/savings account along with moving my home owners back to them.

1st...TK, youve been around long enough, and Ive see you post, you should know by now to research USAA a little on the forums before pulling the trigger. I could have told you dont do it, and saved you a HP. 

2nd..USAA is 5-7yrs min post BK for credit products. Its true they let all the peeps back on the main frame site recently, I was one of them.  Been with them for 26 yrs with insurance, and they were also IIB for me in 2013 for a decent chunk. I did open a savings acct with them the moment I could to establish more of a relationship Smiley Happy

3rd...You might get a counter offer for the secured card in the mail. DONT DO IT.. Its a 2 yrs commitment, and IT DOESNT GRADUATE. Dont watse your time. Just sit back and the do the USAA time like the rest of us until we qualify for unsecured. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a correct statement?

If I have a BK showing, USAA will not give a unsecured CC...? And it will be a wasted HP?

I was discharged 2 years ago, ch13 (6 years in, 1 left till theybdrop off)

I don't need a USAA card, but I'm a member via my dad, wouldn't mind the card in my small collection.
Message 3 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Is this a correct statement?

If I have a BK showing, USAA will not give a unsecured CC...? And it will be a wasted HP?

I was discharged 2 years ago, ch13 (6 years in, 1 left till theybdrop off)

I don't need a USAA card, but I'm a member via my dad, wouldn't mind the card in my small collection.

Yes...this is a true statement. USAA for unsecured credit cards is 5-7 yrs post BK DC...depending on if they were IIB.  I applied last year at the 4 yr post DC mark, and declined,  but they immediately countered with the secured card, which I declined. USAA was IIB for me as well. I will try again this summer when Im 5 yrs post DC, to test the waters again. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know if the same rules for 5-7 years apply for a charge off that didn't go through BK?  I had two cards that charged off about 5.5 years ago for a very large amount and I assumed I was blacklisted for life for credit cards/auto loans.

Until recently I could only use the mobile site.  I was happy about that and thought I might be back in until I read on here that they are doing that for everyone now.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that out myself back in the summer of 2016 (before I found this site and seriously started learning about credit). I applied for a USAA rewards Visa and was denied due to my 2014 BK. As with Amex (which requires a waiting period of 5 years 1 month after filing before they'll consider accepting your application, provided they weren't IIB), I'll be able to apply with USAA in fall 2019. Paradoxically, though, since I now have a couple of good rewards Visa's, I don't need a USAA card anymore. Go figure...

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe this statement is true if you IIB or they just feel like giving you a chance prior to 5 years. My Husband and I have been discharged since April of 2017 and we applied with USAA cause he received a pre-selected offer to apply for the Amex card. Well he was approved and I was denied. I can't remember why but they approved me for a secured which I didn't take. This was at the end of Jan 2018. Fast forward to this past Saturday and he cold app'd for the Visa and again he was approved. My secured offer expires on the 12th of this month and I'd like to re-apply but I think I may wait until after April in which we will be 1 year post BK discharge of C7.

Message 7 of 9
Hex
Valued Contributor

It doesn’t matter if they were IIB or not. You’d better warn your DH that if he notices a black van following him that the jig is up- USAA has discovered the BK7 and CSR has come to get the card—— he needs to RUN!!!!!! Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Hex Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.