Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP CLI, not 3x

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCP CLI, not 3x

I waited until about day 65 to try for my CLI on my BCP. I wanted to let my PIF for the second statement to fully clear. Anyway, I was quite happy with my 9k SL, and I didn't expect my credit profile to support a full 3x. I requested 20k. They offered 15,100. Whatever. Took it. I'm happy enough, but that 20k would have looked much nicer.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX BCP CLI, not 3x

Grats on the increase Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I waited until about day 65 to try for my CLI on my BCP. I wanted to let my PIF for the second statement to fully clear. Anyway, I was quite happy with my 9k SL, and I didn't expect my credit profile to support a full 3x. I requested 20k. They offered 15,100. Whatever. Took it. I'm happy enough, but that 20k would have looked much nicer.

Still a nice CLI so that's good to see.

Question though about the 3X CLI to the OP or anyone else reading this.  Is there any DOWNSIDE to requesting a 3X CLI?  I mean, shooting high?  I know with some cards like Synchrony it's always best to reach for the stars as they'll counter with the highest limit possible as to not leave anything on the table.  Not sure about Amex?

Say the OP requested the full 3X CLI, $27k.  Would he have had a greater chance of obtaining that $20k counter offer, or regardless of the amount requested does his account/profile at this time simply support $15.1k and nothing more?

I'm curious about this as I recently got approved for a BCE and am going to need to strategize what to request CLI wise once my 61 days pass.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any DOWNSIDE to requesting a 3X CLI? 

Nope. And if Amex doesn't approve the full amount, their counter won't change based on the size of the requested increase.

Message 4 of 15
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 5 of 15
joeaseer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Still a nice CLI so that's good to see.

Question though about the 3X CLI to the OP or anyone else reading this.  Is there any DOWNSIDE to requesting a 3X CLI?  I mean, shooting high?  I know with some cards like Synchrony it's always best to reach for the stars as they'll counter with the highest limit possible as to not leave anything on the table.  Not sure about Amex?

Say the OP requested the full 3X CLI, $27k.  Would he have had a greater chance of obtaining that $20k counter offer, or regardless of the amount requested does his account/profile at this time simply support $15.1k and nothing more?

I'm curious about this as I recently got approved for a BCE and am going to need to strategize what to request CLI wise once my 61 days pass.

Personally I had a 6k SL and just for fun not thinking I would get it, I put in 18k for a CLI and bam they gave it to me. That's the good part about aiming high. Congrats to the OP though, going from 9k to 15.1k in 65 days is pretty great. Maybe if you put your income as being 5k more in 6 months and you'll get that 20k limit, it could work, you could put 5k more as potential gains of having an Amex card Smiley Happy

EQ Score: 784 | TU Score: 758 | EX Score: 760 | Goal Score: 800+
INQ = TU: 1 | EQ: 0 | EX: 4
Utilization: 0% usually or at most 1% - 3%.
Amex BCE (Approved: 11/2015): $24k ($6k SL) | Discover IT (Approved: 07/2015): $16k ($1k SL)
Citi DC WEMC (Approved: 07/2016): $14.5k ($4.6k SL) | Chase SR (Approved: 01/2017): $11k
Chase Freedom Unlimited (Approved: 07/2016): $7.5k | Chase Freedom (Approved: 12/2014): $5k ($500 SL)
Citi Simplicity (Aprroved: 07/2018): $4.5k | Total CL: $82.5k
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your CLI Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill add an interesting data point .... got my Amex in Oct requested 3x when i received my card in mail wham got 15k then waited 180 days for next request on April 27th asked for 24,500 this time didnt want to go over 25k thinkn they would ask for documents. .neway declined for debt to income levels it said ..now I suppose after denial u should wait 61 days .. well forgot all about waiting period (about 56days or so now) and pulled the trigger online today ... this time just asked for 20k to see if that would work ...wham! Approved instantly for that amount ...strange
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet CLI! When your account is eligible again ask for 20K. Good luck!
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ill add an interesting data point .... got my Amex in Oct requested 3x when i received my card in mail wham got 15k then waited 180 days for next request on April 27th asked for 24,500 this time didnt want to go over 25k thinkn they would ask for documents. .neway declined for debt to income levels it said ..now I suppose after denial u should wait 61 days .. well forgot all about waiting period (about 56days or so now) and pulled the trigger online today ... this time just asked for 20k to see if that would work ...wham! Approved instantly for that amount ...strange

Congrats on your approval! Thanks for the data point. It used to be after a denial you needed to wait 90 days. I'm not sure if it still applies.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.