Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Approval 4506-C

tag
blkroyalT
Established Member

Discover Approval 4506-C

As I posted previously, I was approved for a secured Discover It card.  I made the minimum deposit of $200 because I just wanted to get in the door (I don't want the low tier subprime cards for my rebuild, and I have an unsecured card with Cap 1).  Well this morning, I get the infamous "Equifax Verification" email.  Initially I was like absolutely not, but it's really annoying that if you don't they will close the account and ding your CR.  I verified that the request was legit, and submitted the form.  My only concern is the approval, because I've read a few of the horror stories about accounts being closed after the verification.  Everything's good on my end, but I was wondering if  the income I applied with has to match my tax return.  I actually applied using mine and DH's base income, but our return shows a lot more in income. Anyone have this experience?

And if at first you don’t succeed, you can dust it off and try again

temp-Images-AMizotemp-Imageltbxw-Ntemp-Imagec-ASE0-Atemp-Imagej-VVIgltemp-Image-Gfmx-NJtemp-Image-Hxjf0-Qtemp-Image-N2-Zi-NUtemp-Image-N2-Zi-NUtemp-Imagexs-Ij-XYtemp-Imagezkm-Aq-Ktemp-Imagecd-GSZF
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Approval 4506-C

If your returns show a higher income than you stated, I wouldn't be concerned. It's when it's the other way around that it presents an issue. 

Message 2 of 11
blkroyalT
Established Member

Ok, great.  Well things have certainly changed in the credit world!  This is the first time I've heard of submitting returns for a card...Smiley Indifferent.  

temp-Images-AMizotemp-Imageltbxw-Ntemp-Imagec-ASE0-Atemp-Imagej-VVIgltemp-Image-Gfmx-NJtemp-Image-Hxjf0-Qtemp-Image-N2-Zi-NUtemp-Image-N2-Zi-NUtemp-Imagexs-Ij-XYtemp-Imagezkm-Aq-Ktemp-Imagecd-GSZF
Message 3 of 11
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

4506-C is for identity purposes not income verification. 4506-T is for the income verification. So far as I know the IRS stopped doing the T a while ago. So this will not show income. Besides its a secured card not needed anyways just to verify your identity.

Message 4 of 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@hawkins wrote:

4506-C is for identity purposes not income verification. 4506-T is for the income verification. So far as I know the IRS stopped doing the T a while ago. So this will not show income. Besides its a secured card not needed anyways just to verify your identity.

Actually the 4506-C is a tax verification form, not ID verification form. A 4506-C is used through an authorized third  party participant in the IRS Income Verification Express Service (IVES). Where as a 4506-T is a request for tax documents directly from the IRS (and still in use).

For verifying ID, or SSN credit card companies might request you fill out a SSA-89 to verify your identity, or SSN number

Message 5 of 11
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

@hawkins wrote:

Actually the 4506-C is a tax verification form, not ID verification form. A 4506-C is used through an authorized third  party participant in the IRS Income Verification Express Service (IVES). Where as a 4506-T is a request for tax documents directly from the IRS.

For verifying ID, or SSN credit card companies might request you fill out a SSA-89 to verify your identity, or SSN number

Well then I stand corrected. I have never had to do one but read somewhere that it was for identity but it's all good. Thanks for the info always good to know in case I ever have to do one.

Message 6 of 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@hawkins wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

@hawkins wrote:

Actually the 4506-C is a tax verification form, not ID verification form. A 4506-C is used through an authorized third  party participant in the IRS Income Verification Express Service (IVES). Where as a 4506-T is a request for tax documents directly from the IRS.

Well then I stand corrected. I have never had to do one but read somewhere that it was for identity but it's all good. Thanks for the info always good to know in case I ever have to do one.

The whole thing can be confusing for sure.

Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@hawkins wrote:

The 4506-T still exists but only to request a copy of one's own tax return.

The 4506-C allows a taxpayer to authorize a specifically named 3rd party who is an Income Verification Express Service (IVES) participant to see their wage transcripts or tax returns; per the IRS the IVES program exists to allow such authorizations "for income verification" (their term).

The IRS uses the IVES program as a vetting process that requires application and IRS validation/approval in order to be granted access to 4506-C data; taxpayer authorization for such disclosure is necessary but not sufficient.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
blkroyalT
Established Member

Well, it apparently went well and only took a day to clear. They called the same night that the form was submitted to make sure I sent it...lol. I've heard of people having to wait 2 weeks for the verification to come back. I got the card the next day and set the account up with no problem.

Message 9 of 11
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Welcome to My Fico @blkroyalT .

Congrats on this approval.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.