Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini App Spree. DONE for 18 months.

tag
kristin93
Established Member

Mini App Spree. DONE for 18 months.

Good Morning All, 

After gardening and paying down my overall debt to about 11%, yesterday I decided to pull the trigger on a few cards I have been stalking online for awhile. My profile PRIOR to the spree is as follows:

residence: TEXAS

full time student and full time employee (on apps I select full time employee, not sure which title works in my favor)

income: ~40,000 after all is said and done

AAOA: 1 yr 7 mos /Oldest Account: 3 yrs 4 mos

Scores: 753 (TU via CreditKarma) 746 (EQ via Credit Karma) 719 (via Discover Statement)

Accounts: 8 student loans, 3 revolving, 5 charge

NO Derogatory Marks OR Late Payments

Inquiries: 3 on TU 8 on EQ 8 on EX

Applications:

Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard: Applied for in the AM: instantly approved: $4000 

American Express Everday: Applied for in the early afternoon: instantly approved: $4500

Citi Diamond Preffered Card: Applied for just before midnight: instantly approved: $2000 **PULLED EX SCORE OF 715**

I am not sure what Barclays and Amex pulled but I've heard Barclays normally pulls TU while Amex pull EQ and/or EX. 

QUESTION FOR THE COMMUNITY: I was moments away from applying for the Amex Gold Card. I was really considering it until I realized the benefits sucked (in short) AND that it was a "Charge Card" NOT a credit card. I am by no means rich (obviously), therefore I cannot charge much. But I CAN pay my balance in full each and every month no problem.  I guess I just wanted it for show. I am thinking of applying for it tonight. I am not worried about HPs, as I have everything i want and need for the next year and a half (except gold).

So, Should I just throw caution to the wind and apply to meet the status quo? or should I just settle? Again, I am happy with what I have. One thing I dont want isAMEX to see red flags, freak out, and freeze everything if I apply again. I Just want another shiny card for my wallet.  

**SIDE NOTE: if anyone is at all curious about CreditKarma Accuracy, look below:

My scores were definitely off (Credit Karma is much higher than what CC companies pulled) BUT my “approval odds” were seriously accurate.

Barclaycard Arrival + World Elite: odds on CK were “Good” and listed in recommendations - APPROVED

American Express Everyday: odds on CK were “Very Good” and listed in recommendations – APPROVED

Citi Diamond Preferred: odds on CK were “Fair” – APPROVED

American Express Premier Rewards Gold: odds on CK were “Good” – APPORVED

MY WALLET: Discover - $2500 | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever - $6000 | Express Next A-List - $3400 | CareCredit - $12000 | Chase Freedom - $3500 | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $1500 | Amazon Store Card - $5000 | Target RedCard MasterCard - $3500 | Paypal Credit (BML) - $3500 | Barclaycard Arrival + World Elite - $6500 | American Express Everyday - $10000 | American Express Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | Citi Diamond Preferred - $3530
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Mini App Spree. DONE for 18 months.

Congratulations on your planning and spree results!

Do you have a bonus spend requirement for the Arrival Plus?

Bonus spend on ED?

Adding another bonus spend requirement for the Gold?

Arrival+ and PRG cards have AF? Perhaps delayed but it sounds like you intend to keep?

The ED will contribute MR points, the Gold / PRG will still be available in 18 months so one possibility is: it becomes your Next Goal Card for later.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 12
kristin93
Established Member

NRB525,

Thanks! 

there is a bonus sign up for arrival +, $3000 for 40,000 points (enough for a $400 travel voucher). I am going on a long spring break trip in March and will be able to reap those benefits. There is also a bonus on the Everyday, $1000 for 15,000 (not sure how much that is). I will use that for monthly bills so I will make that quota as well. The basic Gold (the one  I fell like I have a shot at) has no bonus spend. The AF is waived for first year so my plans were to use it and lose it after that period (or transfer/upgrade funds to my everyday) Same with the barclaycard, unless I can get the CSRs to waive the fee again, I'll downgrade. 

Thank you for the advice! Wise words!

MY WALLET: Discover - $2500 | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever - $6000 | Express Next A-List - $3400 | CareCredit - $12000 | Chase Freedom - $3500 | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $1500 | Amazon Store Card - $5000 | Target RedCard MasterCard - $3500 | Paypal Credit (BML) - $3500 | Barclaycard Arrival + World Elite - $6500 | American Express Everyday - $10000 | American Express Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | Citi Diamond Preferred - $3530
Message 3 of 12
elim
Senior Contributor

@kristin93 wrote:

NRB525,

Thanks! 

there is a bonus sign up for arrival +, $3000 for 40,000 points (enough for a $400 travel voucher). I am going on a long spring break trip in March and will be able to reap those benefits. There is also a bonus on the Everyday, $1000 for 15,000 (not sure how much that is). I will use that for monthly bills so I will make that quota as well. The basic Gold (the one  I fell like I have a shot at) has no bonus spend. The AF is waived for first year so my plans were to use it and lose it after that period (or transfer/upgrade funds to my everyday) Same with the barclaycard, unless I can get the CSRs to waive the fee again, I'll downgrade. 

Thank you for the advice! Wise words!

PRG has a current offer of 50,000 for 1k spend / AF waived for 1 year. Although it is a charger, during the app you will be asked if you would like to apply for "pay over time" feature that will add revolving features to the card (any charge over $100 with $35,000 total charges allowed to add to the feature). Being a charger.... many are hit with just 1 HP when they app for a revolver and a charger in a very short amount of time.

You already have a nice spree and you can easily stop and be very happy with it.

congrats

Message 4 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Ok, I think the general comment you will get is the regular AMEX Gold is stale. The points are only 1 MR per $1 spend, and still the $125 AF. You get 1MR point already, plus 2 on groceries with the ED and no AF.

The PRG, on the other hand, usually has some sort of sign up bonus you can get (for required bonus spend of course) and then starts earning 2MR points on categories. Slightly higher AF, but if you are looking at the use-then-cut program, the bonus award on the PRG is a big consideration.

And if you are looking to book travel in March from bonus spend on the Arrival+ that is not quite in hand yet, that's a short window to get $3k through the card and still allow time to get the bonus points, turn around and use them on a ticket. You'll be like Tina Fey, except using your Arrival+ more than the ED Smiley Happy

Edit: Arrival+ uses Statement Credits, so no worries about using the card to book the travel then circling back to use the awarded points later. The Tina Fey image still stands.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 12
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the spree success!

Message 6 of 12
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@kristin93 wrote:

Good Morning All, 

After gardening and paying down my overall debt to about 11%, yesterday I decided to pull the trigger on a few cards I have been stalking online for awhile. My profile PRIOR to the spree is as follows:

residence: TEXAS

full time student and full time employee (on apps I select full time employee, not sure which title works in my favor)

income: ~40,000 after all is said and done

AAOA: 1 yr 7 mos /Oldest Account: 3 yrs 4 mos

Scores: 753 (TU via CreditKarma) 746 (EQ via Credit Karma) 719 (via Discover Statement)

Accounts: 8 student loans, 3 revolving, 5 charge

NO Derogatory Marks OR Late Payments

Inquiries: 3 on TU 8 on EQ 8 on EX

Applications:

Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard: Applied for in the AM: instantly approved: $4000 

American Express Everday: Applied for in the early afternoon: instantly approved: $4500

Citi Diamond Preffered Card: Applied for just before midnight: instantly approved: $2000 **PULLED EX SCORE OF 715**

I am not sure what Barclays and Amex pulled but I've heard Barclays normally pulls TU while Amex pull EQ and/or EX. 

QUESTION FOR THE COMMUNITY: I was moments away from applying for the Amex Gold Card. I was really considering it until I realized the benefits sucked (in short) AND that it was a "Charge Card" NOT a credit card. I am by no means rich (obviously), therefore I cannot charge much. But I CAN pay my balance in full each and every month no problem.  I guess I just wanted it for show. I am thinking of applying for it tonight. I am not worried about HPs, as I have everything i want and need for the next year and a half (except gold).

So, Should I just throw caution to the wind and apply to meet the status quo? or should I just settle? Again, I am happy with what I have. One thing I dont want isAMEX to see red flags, freak out, and freeze everything if I apply again. I Just want another shiny card for my wallet.  

Hmm.  I don't get the need for the additional AMEX charge if your travel and spending habits don't warrant it.  IMO, there's no real upside (other than "feel good"), like reducing your credit to debt ratio.

Congrats on your approvals!

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 7 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your successful app spree Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic Job, congrats on your approvals- enjoy Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.