Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target MC approval on a whim

tag
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

Target MC approval on a whim

Sooooo.....needed to make a larger purchase ($200+) at Target today and discovered that my RedCard debit card had been deactivated (unbeknownst to me) back in 2021 for two years without use. So I decided to app the credit card version to complete the purchase and take advantage of both the 5% discount and their current $40.00 off coupon for new account opening.

My credit is great these days, but wasn't really sure what to expect since I just app'd a Yard Card to take advantage of their 0% for 60 month financing on an $11,500 lawn mower (also issued by TD Bank like the Target cards). To my surprise, they issued a SL of $3,500 on the MC version of the card right off the bat. Based on a little perusing of the interwebs, this appears to be a very good approval versus the average. Might try to make more use of Target for groceries. Not sure it beats out a number of my other cards like the Sapphire Preferred, Savor, Propel, etc. for gas or dining, but it's definitely got a niche. Anyone else found any uses for it that maximize the returns?

18 REPLIES 18
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Target MC approval on a whim

Congrats on your Target MC approval.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet, grats on the 3.5K Target MC approval!!!

Message 3 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval. It's a great card if you visit Target regularly. You get 5% off gift cards. You also get a 10% off coupon yearly. 

Just a word of caution, be careful with your 0% financing because if it is a credit card then it'll show as a maxed out credit card. Depending on your profile you could take a real score hit. And if you regularly carry balances, then some lenders may not like it. Just something to consider especially if you plan on opening more cards.

Message 4 of 19
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

Yeah, that was a consideration on the Yard Card. I didn't like it being a credit card, but needed to make the purchase and didn't want to part with that much cash at once. The good news is, I don't carry much. I have one that I carry a larger amount on, but everything else gets  PIF monthly. I also don't really need to make any other large purchases anytime soon, so I'll have some time to do some gardening. 😁

Message 5 of 19
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Congrats on Target approval! 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 6 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Target approval! $3.5K is a great SL for this card!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on the Mastercard Version!

As mentioned above that is pretty good for a TD Bankcard Target account.

Message 8 of 19
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 9 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your Target Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.