cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 inquiries on EX. Is that too many for AmEx?

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: 6 inquiries on EX. Is that too many for AmEx?

i recall someone here recently being approved with "30" EX inq's (0 on TU and 0 on EQ of course)... very well aged, thick and robust file with a good income.

my profile would be denied with 5 or 6 i'm thinking so i planned ahead and checked my prequals and after awhile my UTIL was perfect, my inq's were low, my scores were up, i had many offers and i carefully selected a few that worked for me. in ONE year i'll grab a couple more that i REALLY want.

check your amex offers and jump on a charger offer if it works for you.

12 months of treating it right and your inq's will be aged enough to move forward.

if you have a bunch of new inq's on EX anyway then 1 more won't matter IMHO, app... if denied AMEX won't hold it against you. if their decision for denial is solely "inq's" then they will age off at the same time anyway (including the single AMEX inq)

good luck and welcome to the stress of over-apping for credit cards (i feel your pain)

the garden club is my 12 step for this... "hi, my name is elim... and i'm an over-apper"

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

For what purposes? New application? How recent are the inquiries? Is any of them from Amex?

Yes I'm thinking of applying for a card from them.  One of the inqs is from them.  In early August I stupidly applied for Platinum and was denied. Since then my scores have risen 75+ points as a tax lien and collection were removed.  Right now my highest CL reporting is the Ventures card as the NFCU and DC cards have been added yet.  The NFCU one should start reporting any day now.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 9 EX INQ's when I applied and was approved for AMEX PRG and ED. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

For what purposes? New application? How recent are the inquiries? Is any of them from Amex?

Yes I'm thinking of applying for a card from them.  One of the inqs is from them.  In early August I stupidly applied for Platinum and was denied. Since then my scores have risen 75+ points as a tax lien and collection were removed.  Right now my highest CL reporting is the Ventures card as the NFCU and DC cards have been added yet.  The NFCU one should start reporting any day now.

just got on my lappy and can see your sig... i'd go for prg or a revolver.  keep us posted  

Message 14 of 18
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

6 inq is not too many.  Borderline, maybe if they're within the last 6 months.

I used to firmly believe Amex didn't mind inquiries, but they've been downright stingey with me and the only explanation I can come up with is inq and new accts.  They have only given me one 3x CLI ever.

Message 15 of 18
taxi818
Super Contributor

Im starting to beleive all the hype about Amex is overrated. as when i apped for the cards . i had 11 hps. on Experian. and score 696 at approval. although my file is thin. it was not a real issue. was approved in less than a minute. maybe my starting limit is low. for Delta. im not sure. what the definition on low is on these boards. 3500. and i got the green. instead of other. even with AF waived. as i will just keep it long term. not churn. im not concerned with the rewards at this point with so many rewards. but i know now that Delta was not the best choice. since it takes a lifetime to get a free flight. Smiley Sadanyway back to point. Amex seems to be the easiest of the cards ive gotten in the last few months. really no questions asked. seems Diners was more of a challenge.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

Im starting to beleive all the hype about Amex is overrated. as when i apped for the cards . i had 11 hps. on Experian. and score 696 at approval. although my file is thin. it was not a real issue. was approved in less than a minute. maybe my starting limit is low. for Delta. im not sure. what the definition on low is on these boards. 3500. and i got the green. instead of other. even with AF waived. as i will just keep it long term. not churn. im not concerned with the rewards at this point with so many rewards. but i know now that Delta was not the best choice. since it takes a lifetime to get a free flight. Smiley Sadanyway back to point. Amex seems to be the easiest of the cards ive gotten in the last few months. really no questions asked. seems Diners was more of a challenge.

AMEX used to be harder to get.

I remember when I first apped for the Blue Sky in 2008, they gave me an initial SL of $3,000 because my credit history was only ~1yr old to which I faxed in a 4506-T to get upped to $5,000..That was with an income of $70,000 at the time.

Message 17 of 18
taxi818
Super Contributor

@elim  I can see your programming magic in your avitar. i need you to teach me that trick or send me the code. thanks taxi

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.