Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Financial Review

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Financial Review

@iCoop wrote:

For those that find the process intrusive, you do realize that you don't have to borrow money from American Express. There are hundreds of other credit cards available for personal and business needs that are for the most part accepted at more places than AmEx. When I bought a house they required damn near everything that took place in my life over the last two - ten years. When I bought a car they wanted quite a bit of information too. So I don't see it out of character for American Express to perform a financial review of any account, especially when the funds that they provide are not backed up by collateral of any sort. They are taking your word at face value that you will continue to pay them on time, each month, for as long as you have your account. Now that I think about it, they should require just as much if not more documentation than home or auto lenders as these companies at least have something to go after other than causing a blemish on your credit history (which some people don't care about when times get rough).

If you want to use their money, then you have to play by their rules. It may be an inconvenience but a lot of these inconveniences are meant to protect their interests and at times, yours as well. It would be a lot more inconvenient for millions of consumers/businesses if credit cards weren't available to spend money that most people don't have on hand.

I guess Amex could require all that documentation. I'm pretty sure if they did they would only have crap customers left because who would want to go through all that hassle for a credit card unless the person was desperate for credit. Chase, Citi, Discover, Cap 1 and other lenders would be more than willing to supply cards to the amex customer base. Being realistic Amex needs customers more than customers need amex. Who really needs an amex card (or any particular lender's card)? Its not essential and there are plenty of other options. Amex makes its profit from issuing cards and having people going out and spending on them. If they became overbearing in demanding documentation at the time of the apps people would just go to chase or citi etc. Not to mention the extra time and money it would cost amex to review all those documents. I'm sure Amex would prefer to give out more credit than it is now, but with the legislation that was passed they are being forced to investigate a person's credit worthiness even more. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sean23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

+1. Pretty fishy, when someone will let their accounts be closed over "privacy." Yes it is privacy - as in "I don't want anyone to know I was lying." Lol.

That said, there are other scenarios.. Say the bulk of someone's income is "under the table" and avoids tax. They didn't misstate the amount in this case, they're just fudging with the IRS and the actual amount can't be verified through tax records. Still fishy activity, but a different sort. While I wouldn't agree with them, I think that's their private choice.

Right, because no-one could possibly care about different things than you, and value privacy over a set of cards from one issuer.

You keep missing the part about the fishy or suspicious behaviour. Of course, you are 150% correct, some people truly value their privacy and that is more important to them than a set of cards, completely agree with you about those people. Those arent the people we are talking about though. The people we are talking about are the ones possibly paying off student loans, or possibly paying monthly on financed car note, and then post to message boards all indignant about the fact that they feel their privacy is being invaded by that low down stupid credit card company they call Amex and are gonna close all their cards to make a point and stick it to the lender where it "hurts". Those people are not concerned about privacy. Sorry, they just arent. They are trying not to get caught in a lie.

The comment I was replying to was pretty blanket

Pretty fishy, when someone will let their accounts be closed over "privacy." Yes it is privacy - as in "I don't want anyone to know I was lying."

(And I'm not sure what to make of the next bit, it's your private choice to decline if you are lying to the IRS, but not if you mistate income to Amex.)

Message 42 of 60
sean23
Valued Member

@red259 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

For those that find the process intrusive, you do realize that you don't have to borrow money from American Express. There are hundreds of other credit cards available for personal and business needs that are for the most part accepted at more places than AmEx. When I bought a house they required damn near everything that took place in my life over the last two - ten years. When I bought a car they wanted quite a bit of information too. So I don't see it out of character for American Express to perform a financial review of any account, especially when the funds that they provide are not backed up by collateral of any sort. They are taking your word at face value that you will continue to pay them on time, each month, for as long as you have your account. Now that I think about it, they should require just as much if not more documentation than home or auto lenders as these companies at least have something to go after other than causing a blemish on your credit history (which some people don't care about when times get rough).

If you want to use their money, then you have to play by their rules. It may be an inconvenience but a lot of these inconveniences are meant to protect their interests and at times, yours as well. It would be a lot more inconvenient for millions of consumers/businesses if credit cards weren't available to spend money that most people don't have on hand.

I guess Amex could require all that documentation. I'm pretty sure if they did they would only have crap customers left because who would want to go through all that hassle for a credit card unless the person was desperate for credit. Chase, Citi, Discover, Cap 1 and other lenders would be more than willing to supply cards to the amex customer base. Being realistic Amex needs customers more than customers need amex. Who really needs an amex card (or any particular lender's card)? Its not essential and there are plenty of other options. Amex makes its profit from issuing cards and having people going out and spending on them. If they became overbearing in demanding documentation at the time of the apps people would just go to chase or citi etc. Not to mention the extra time and money it would cost amex to review all those documents. I'm sure Amex would prefer to give out more credit than it is now, but with the legislation that was passed they are being forced to investigate a person's credit worthiness even more. 

The same people that go through all that crap for a mortgage, want to finance a car, or apply for student loans. 

Message 43 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like the number 1 reason to get a fr is spending more than they are comfortable with.

People used to say you'd get a fr for shopping at WalMart, paying the card off, or making multiple payments in a month. I think it all comes down to spending too much too fast.

I'm my opinion Amex is a charge card by nature they just happen to offer credit cards also.
Message 44 of 60
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, a mortgage/auto loan vs credit limit can be quite a bit different.  Most folks getting mortages or cars are looking at borrowing $10k plus, and those funds are immediately paid out with the expectation of it being paid back in installments.  While someone can get a $10k credit limit, it likely won't be utilized all at once. And they (CC companies) have the right to decline a transaction if it's too high or unusual, mortages and auto loans don't work like that.  CC's check credit reports.  If they give out high/risky CL's, then request more information during application process or CL increase request.   I think shutting down someone's card entirely because it's an unusual transaction isn't (always) necessary.  It is their right to do so, of course, and I understand that there are times when it's beneficial for them but it does pose an inconvenience to the consumer.  When we don't think it's a 'big deal' for them to obtain so much financial information for something that can be a miniscule thing (a decline during a lunch, for example), we're inviting them to do more in the long run.  That's where my concern is.  They can already do routine SPs, now it's requesting tax returns, next it'll be access to periodically check our bank accounts to see where our money is going.  If you didn't think I could handle the credit, don't issue me the card or don't give me such a high limit.  And if you see a concern, be a little more flexible because (as some have said) I don't have to use your card.  I think that verifying income before issuing someone a card could be an option or temporarily reducing a CL while requesting information if something seems unusual until it's resolved.  But completely freezing cards and saying you have to provide this or you don't use our card can seem (or feel) a bit controlling and sometimes unnecessary.  I know they have tiers for high risk, low risk customers, why not have the process be different for each tier?  Freeze high risk cards and just request info and set a deadline for low risk cardholders.  Maybe they do this already, who knows.  Is it their money and do they have the right to do it, yes, absolutely.  But I think there can be better ways to go about it.  If it happened to me, I'd provide the information, but depending on the reason why (the AU thing I absoutely get, someone they haven't checked out is spending more money) I'd let them know that this could result in my using the card less because I wouldn't know when or if they'd feeze my card again and I have other cards I can use.  If I feel like they're not just protecting themselves, but protecting me-the customer- ask away!  But if it feels like a them vs. me situation and I haven't given much of a reason for them to do it, it changes my attitude towards them.  No qualms with amex, but I am concerned if I don't use my card a lot and then start to use it more frequently, will I have an issue...? 

Also think it's important to keep in mind that each situation can change our opinions of things, so I like reading other's opinions on topics like these.  Gives perspectives I may not think of myself and makes me more objective if something like this were to happen to me. 

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 45 of 60
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I have not been subjected to any form of FR yet.

Where I come from, we're often asked to submit proof of income to begin with. In many cases (in the recent 5-7 years) the only legit proof of income has been tax returns. This is true for almost all credit applications except student loans. Previously, a copy of your existing / oldest credit card would have been sufficient (yes, we were living in primitive times). 

While I can understand people's concerns about privacy, it is true that customers offended by such requests can move on; it is also true that AMEX needs our business more than vice-versa which is why they don't ask for income verification through tax documents for every app. In my country, almost every lender asks for that proof.

However, I see people stating elsewhere on this forum that they are okay with supplying bank statements etc.

This is where I have a hypothesis: Probably AMEX believes it would be better off taking and reviewing a third-party (IRS) verified information rather than information that is unverified, and could be potentially altered / tampered? I would think Bank statements, pay-stubs etc could be tampered with, but with IRS the chances are far slimmer? 

Unless there is a way in which AMEX could independently access my bank account and paycheck profile with my employer (which is even more intrusive)?

Message 46 of 60
red259
Super Contributor

@sean23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

The same people that go through all that crap for a mortgage, want to finance a car, or apply for student loans. 

Buying a house, car or paying for an education is very different than getting a credit card. In the vast majority of cases when applying for those other catergories you are applying for much much more money than you would get with a credit line. Its apple and oranges. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 47 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

I have not been subjected to any form of FR yet.

Where I come from, we're often asked to submit proof of income to begin with. In many cases (in the recent 5-7 years) the only legit proof of income has been tax returns. This is true for almost all credit applications except student loans. Previously, a copy of your existing / oldest credit card would have been sufficient (yes, we were living in primitive times). 

While I can understand people's concerns about privacy, it is true that customers offended by such requests can move on; it is also true that AMEX needs our business more than vice-versa which is why they don't ask for income verification through tax documents for every app. In my country, almost every lender asks for that proof.

However, I see people stating elsewhere on this forum that they are okay with supplying bank statements etc.

This is where I have a hypothesis: Probably AMEX believes it would be better off taking and reviewing a third-party (IRS) verified information rather than information that is unverified, and could be potentially altered / tampered? I would think Bank statements, pay-stubs etc could be tampered with, but with IRS the chances are far slimmer? 

Unless there is a way in which AMEX could independently access my bank account and paycheck profile with my employer (which is even more intrusive)?

Yes, that is certainly one of the reasons that they get the transcript from the IRS and won't accept, for example, you sending in copies of your tax returns.

In the not to0 distant past,  income verification via third parties were common (and still exist, e.g. http://www.theworknumber.com/)  Many bigger companies stopped using them for liability concerns, or didn't want to pay the costs of the services.

As shown in another thread, Amex can get into a conference call with your bank, who will, with your permission, verfiy information.  But whether for many that is easier or less intrusive than sending in a tax transcript request...

Message 48 of 60
sean23
Valued Member

@red259 wrote:

@sean23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

Buying a house, car or paying for an education is very different than getting a credit card. In the vast majority of cases when applying for those other catergories you are applying for much much more money than you would get with a credit line. Its apple and oranges. 

It's not apples and oranges at all. There are plenty of people that have gone completely bankrupt on credit card debt alone that they couldn't manage.

Message 49 of 60
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

The Biggest difference is def the payment(banks loss) all at once (mortage,car loan,studentl loan,LOC) to Payments over time (Credti Card). I will say this you can lie and get a aprox 20K credit card maybe even more they can throttle your spending and their loss exposure. Car loans and bigger loans are 30Kplus easily all gone as soon as bank approves. No throttling or ability to monitor from that point forward their loss exposure

AMEX is almost a hybrid. Esp since you can 3xcli two times in 8 months. so in less then year you can 9x any limit they give you.

1k to 9k 8 months

2k to 18k 8 months

3 to 27k 8 months

4k to 36k 8 months

5k to 45k 8 months

That is alot of risk fast for a lender fast. I dont think any other personal bank/credit company has that type of possible risk exposure. This is assuming getting most if not all of the 3xcli each time

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.