Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX New Member Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX New Member Question

Hi All:

first time poster, but I've been a lurker on here for a while now. Looking forward to hearing your advice:

I am looking into applying for an Americin Express card. I'm leaning toward a charge card... Green gold or platinum. 

i am 25 years old and currently have a Chase Freedom (opened 6/2010) and a BofA BankAmericard Rewards (opened 6/2008). I checked my FICO score today and it came back 706. 

What is your advice on applying for a green, gold, or platinum? Am I better off applying for green... Since I'm assuming my chances of being accepted for gold or plat are slimmer? Suggestions on a different card? Will I even qualify for any of them?

i know this is broad but thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX New Member Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All:

first time poster, but I've been a lurker on here for a while now. Looking forward to hearing your advice:

I am looking into applying for an Americin Express card. I'm leaning toward a charge card... Green gold or platinum. 

i am 25 years old and currently have a Chase Freedom (opened 6/2010) and a BofA BankAmericard Rewards (opened 6/2008). I checked my FICO score today and it came back 706. 

What is your advice on applying for a green, gold, or platinum? Am I better off applying for green... Since I'm assuming my chances of being accepted for gold or plat are slimmer? Suggestions on a different card? Will I even qualify for any of them?

i know this is broad but thanks for your help!

I think you could qualify for any of the three, and quite possibly you could qualify for a revolver as well. 

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 22
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Ask yourself do you really need a charge card ????Charge card is a good way to start with Amex .

They also had a great credit card collection with cash back hotel and points........Do a research on their website and see which one fit your life style the most ????

Don't forget sign up bonus for most of their card.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

wow only 2 cards? 

i need to get down too this. 

if you open up any other card it will drop your aaoa. 

how is your utilization?  (personally for your score this maybe a little high)

limits?  

inquries? 

with judging on your aaoa(average age of accounts) and score alone i think you could get a revolver. 

what are you looking for? something to carry a balance every month or pay off every month? do you like cash back, or points, or travel miles? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My limits are low. Both cards I have were opened when I was either college or just after. limits are both under 1k each. 

Same job for 3.5 years. Same place of living for last 3... So very low inquiries. My utilization is high. Low limits on my 2 cards. And I have 7k left on my student loan. 

I feel confident in my ability to pay on time. Haven't had a late payment in a long time. Which is why im interested in a charge card-- i pay off my balance to 0 every month.  My report is showing all good standing. But that's it on my credit report. Not a ton of history. 

Im not a credit expert by any means. So thank for all your responses. 

Message 5 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My limits are low. Both cards I have were opened when I was either college or just after. limits are both under 1k each. 

Same job for 3.5 years. Same place of living for last 3... So very low inquiries. My utilization is high. Low limits on my 2 cards. And I have 7k left on my student loan. 

I feel confident in my ability to pay on time. Haven't had a late payment in a long time. Which is why im interested in a charge card-- i pay off my balance to 0 every month.  My report is showing all good standing. But that's it on my credit report. Not a ton of history. 

Im not a credit expert by any means. So thank for all your responses. 

what are the limits? 

if you pay too 0 every month try and pay before the statement cuts. 

that way the cards report 0 on your cr, that will shoot up your score a little higher. 

sadly both chase and boa or notrious hard pullers for a cli. 

if you know you wont be applying for a car or a mortgage in the next year or so i would apply for the charge and ask for a cli on both boa and chase

but thats only after the cards report 0. 

well actually leave one card reporting a small balance 

to get the optimal fico via util balancing is leaving one card with a total of 1-9% reporting in total. so if both cards were 500=1000 together. youd want no more then 99$ to report total, but also only have one balance on one card. 

how old were the lates? after a couple years they dont have as much of an effect but they still have some. 

i would gw them and see if they would delete the lates as well. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks creditnocash. My cr is not showing 1 late payment. 

I agree on the balances. Currently I'm at $22 and $107. So about 10%. 107 is pending payment. 

Not planning on applying for a mortgage or car loan Soon so I feel now is a good time to apply for the amex.  I've also received a SWA premier visa signature offer in the mail and a US AIR premier offer in the mail this week.  

Do you think I should attempt to app for the Amex platinum? id just hate to apply and easily get denied and be back at step 1.  

Message 7 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

how many lates are showing? in total? 

do you want the platinum? 

what is your income? 

after the first year the af for that card is 450$ personally i wouldnt apply for that card. (unless you travel alot and the rewards outweigh the af)

do you shop at costco by chance? 

i would go for something that you could use. 

charge cards are easier to obtain then amex revolvers. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 8 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks creditnocash. My cr is not showing 1 late payment. 

I agree on the balances. Currently I'm at $22 and $107. So about 10%. 107 is pending payment. 

Not planning on applying for a mortgage or car loan Soon so I feel now is a good time to apply for the amex.  I've also received a SWA premier visa signature offer in the mail and a US AIR premier offer in the mail this week.  

Do you think I should attempt to app for the Amex platinum? id just hate to apply and easily get denied and be back at step 1.  

what is your income and do you travel a lot?

the platinum is a serious card with an even more serious AF, if you are traveling like every month and spending thousands of dollars a month the platinum would be a good card.  if you're a little more modest and don't travel as often then just stick with the green card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 22
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

If you really want a charge card, I would go for the Premier Rewards Gold.  The annual fee is waived the first year, the sign-up bonus is generous, and you can rack up a lot of points pretty easily.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  You could qualify for the Platinum as well, but as others have said, the annual fee is steep so its only good if you really travel a lot.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.