Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 3 separate charges discover it shut me down temporarily

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After 3 separate charges discover it shut me down temporarily

I got my new discover it card last night, bought gas then went to dinner, today bought a tire at a bike shop all 3 were within 2 miles of my house I guess I triggered a suspicious activity fraud alert. Does discover take awhile to trust ur spending habits?  All was well after a click of are these your charges yes they are carry on I just was surprised I triggered the card shut down that fast.  

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: After 3 separate charges discover it shut me down temporarily

I don't think they take awhile. I too triggered a fraud alert with them when I made a large purchase. After confirming that it was indeed me, I have yet to have to do it again.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am confused. did they shut off debits from the account or did they close your account completely
Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i am confused. did they shut off debits from the account or did they close your account completely

Last word of the subject should help your confusion, and if, not, the OP ends:

"All was well after a click of are these your charges yes they are carry on I just was surprised I triggered the card shut down that fast.  "

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just froze the card until I verified some transactions I was just surprised as with Chase I've made some crazy transactions 100 miles away in the same day and haven't ever had an issue yet. 

Message 5 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my new discover it card last night, bought gas then went to dinner, today bought a tire at a bike shop all 3 were within 2 miles of my house I guess I triggered a suspicious activity fraud alert. Does discover take awhile to trust ur spending habits?  All was well after a click of are these your charges yes they are carry on I just was surprised I triggered the card shut down that fast.  

Just checking, you did log on to Discover, go to the online verification to let them know you did get the card, right? Not just peel the sticker off and take it to the gas station?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

When I got my Discover back in late July, all was good for a month or so, then I initiated a balance transfer... within a day my card started being declined, and I had both an email and voice mail to contact them.  Before calling I attempted to look at my account online, but I was locked out of that as well (!). 

Once I called I was transferred to security, and they asked a few questions to both confirm it was 'me' and that I had initiated the BT.  Once I told them 'yes' and 'yes', they transferred me back to someone to help with the BT (the first request was canceled).  They were very nice, and I told the CSR I was eventually transferred to I would have to call back since I didn't have the other card's details with me.  I ended up just going online and doing the BT (again) from there, and the second time all was well.

Since then, I've had no problem with Discover at all... it's been as reliable as a Capital One card.  I suspect now that you've cleared up your security problem it will be "clear sailing" from here on out... Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would always prefer this happen if there is even one tiny possibility that my card information has been stolen.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

on black friday, my husband and i bought a washer and dry...

on black friday, my husband and i bought a washer and dryer and the fraud alert prompted the transaction for $1300. we were wondering why the card was getting declined. it was a little embarrassing, but there was no way that we were getting declined due to low funds or whatever. we just had to log onto their website and confirm that we were indeed making that purchase.

Message 9 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would always prefer this happen if there is even one tiny possibility that my card information has been stolen.

You are not responsible for fraud, so it benefits the issuer rather than you

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.