Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Minimum Usage

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Minimum Usage

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is around usage of the card. If I wanted to take advantage of the Amex EveryDay Preferred to earn the extra points but keep the Plat for perks would Amex be unhappy that I wasn't using the Plat as much?

Nope.  Quite a few have the Platinum yet put most of their spend on another MR card since the Platinum doesn't have the highest MR earn rates.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, does anyone think I should apply for the Everyday now or wait for a while?

As always, depends on your credit.  WIll it significantly improve after "a while"?

Keep in mind, SP if denied, HP if approved.  If denied you'll have their reason(s) for denial to use as a guide on what to work on.

Message 11 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:
Keep in mind, SP if denied, HP if approved.  If denied you'll have their reason(s) for denial to use as a guide on what to work on.

Very likely, but a number of exceptions have been reported (HP with denied for existing card members)

Message 12 of 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is around usage of the card. If I wanted to take advantage of the Amex EveryDay Preferred to earn the extra points but keep the Plat for perks would Amex be unhappy that I wasn't using the Plat as much?

Nope.  Quite a few have the Platinum yet put most of their spend on another MR card since the Platinum doesn't have the highest MR earn rates.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, does anyone think I should apply for the Everyday now or wait for a while?

As always, depends on your credit.  WIll it significantly improve after "a while"?

I agree with Takeshi. If you think you can get approved for the EDP or you have a use for it, try when you're ready. Your internal Amex score may be higher than your FICO score. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Very likely, but a number of exceptions have been reported (HP with denied for existing card members)

I decided to do the app yesterday night. Keep in mind that was the same day I did the app for the Plat (as was approved). I only see one HP on my credit today so it's impossible to know if it's for the EDP or the Plat but I'll take one pull for an approval and an answer.

The instant response was declined for the EDP. I called today and they said due to FICO score and some other crap on my report that is like 4 years old. They said EX was 649 which is exactly what MyFico.com said. I asked them to reconsider due to my 0% CC usage and no derogatory items for years. They said, "I see you are a Platinum member and we will reconsider. Please call be in 3-5 days."

I have about 12.5k of total credit and 0% usage and I've spent aobut 11k over the last 2.5 months on the Amex Green I have. IMO they'd be silly not to approve but we'll see.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with Takeshi. If you think you can get approved for the EDP or you have a use for it, try when you're ready. Your internal Amex score may be higher than your FICO score

I think the "internal Amex score" is the only way I got approved for the Plat. I did the app and asked for a reconsider. We'll see Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Hope it goes well.  This is interesting though, as it is commonly thought here that Amex is almost impossible to recon with, only if something is wrong on the CR.  But maybe not.

Message 16 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All!

New to the forums Smiley Happy

Just approved for an Amex Platinum today. I'm pretty surprised considering my fairly low score 642 - 649, but very excited Smiley Happy

I'd still plan to do purchases like airfare on the Plat (so I could leverage the benefits requiring that I do so). I'm thinking about doing a combination of using both.

The reason I ask is because prior to today I just had the Amex Green and was using it for everything (in preporation for applying for the Plat). After 2-3 months I applied for the Plat and got it (today).

Does anyone think I'll have a problem with them letting me keeping the Plat if I apply for, get, and shift the majority of my spending to the Amex EveryDay?

Anyone else have Platinum but use another card for primary spend?

Thanks!

Amex isn't going to care if you don't use the plat. Your paying the AF on it. The only thing it can do is lower your internal available credit on the plat, since that is based upon spend history. However, you would probably still have enough to cover any air fare on the card and if there was an issue you could likely call in and  get them to free up a bit more credit for larger purchases.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 18
Luscher
Valued Contributor

AMEX Charge cards aren't really supposed to be used for spending IMO, its all about the perks. But definitely spend enough to get the bonus
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.