Reply
Frequent Contributor
kc12286
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Amex - Which one to apply for?

I've been getting tons of Amex mailers, despite my score doing it's annual flucuation. I think I'm going to take the bait. Any suggestions? And what score(s) do they most commonly pull?

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy
Posts: 6,199
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?

I love my BCE!
3% on groceries
2% on gas
1% otherwise
No af!

Af version, BCP, doubles cashback basically with a 75$ af.

Do it!
They triple pulled me..based my approval on TU of 696...
Got a $3500 limit and the 61day cli.
Hhi about $150,000.

Looking for $25k in five more months!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Frequent Contributor
kc12286
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?


youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I love my BCE!
3% on groceries
2% on gas
1% otherwise
No af!

Af version, BCP, doubles cashback basically with a 75$ af.

Do it!
They triple pulled me..based my approval on TU of 696...
Got a $3500 limit and the 61day cli.
Hhi about $150,000.

Looking for $25k in five more months!

I may pick that one. I have my Discover for 5% categories and my Chase Amazon gives me points on gas, so I alternate between those two. I'm really looking for the perks like advancded ticket purchasing and special seating at concerts and shows. Can't remember which cards do that, I know they all technically do that, but then I've seen on some websites that mention there's priority or special seating for select Amex cards or cardholders.

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?

I have Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum which both have advanced ticket purchasing or whatever it is called.  As far as I have been able to tell, it isn't much of a benefit.  I certainly can't recall having access to better seats or seats at a better price.  Perhaps there are events where I have access before the general public, but I think there are so many additional programs that offer the same benefit for free that it really makes no difference. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
kc12286
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?


Walt_K wrote:

I have Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum which both have advanced ticket purchasing or whatever it is called.  As far as I have been able to tell, it isn't much of a benefit.  I certainly can't recall having access to better seats or seats at a better price.  Perhaps there are events where I have access before the general public, but I think there are so many additional programs that offer the same benefit for free that it really makes no difference. 


Yeah I see what you're saying. I can't really remember a a time I missed out on something or decent seats for something, because they were only accessiible to Amex customers. My mom had the Gold card, but got tired of the high AF. And years ago she had the Green card, which has a smaller AF. I just noticed the other day, when I was on ticketmaster, that they mentioned advanced ticket purchasing and special seating for Amex cardholders. And broadway.com also has a similar sign on the web page. I do eventually want to get a Amex card, because I plan to cancel a few credit cards. I have two cards I want to cancel, one low CL CC from my bank  and one MC that has no real rewards.

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?


kc12286 wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

I have Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum which both have advanced ticket purchasing or whatever it is called.  As far as I have been able to tell, it isn't much of a benefit.  I certainly can't recall having access to better seats or seats at a better price.  Perhaps there are events where I have access before the general public, but I think there are so many additional programs that offer the same benefit for free that it really makes no difference. 


Yeah I see what you're saying. I can't really remember a a time I missed out on something or decent seats for something, because they were only accessiible to Amex customers. My mom had the Gold card, but got tired of the high AF. And years ago she had the Green card, which has a smaller AF. I just noticed the other day, when I was on ticketmaster, that they mentioned advanced ticket purchasing and special seating for Amex cardholders. And broadway.com also has a similar sign on the web page. I do eventually want to get a Amex card, because I plan to cancel a few credit cards. I have two cards I want to cancel, one low CL CC from my bank  and one MC that has no real rewards.


To be clear, I like the cards and get a lot of value out of them, but that particular benefit is not anything to get excited about.  As an example, if I remember correctly, I was looking at tickets for Cirque de Soleil tickets once, and you could purchase tickets in advance with an Amex.  But being a Cirque de Soleil member or something (can't remember what it is called) also got you advanced purchase, and the only thing you had to do to join was register on their website with an e-mail address.  I think just about everything I have looked at has some similar option where anyone with an e-mail address can also qualify for the advanced tickets.

 

SPG may have that benefit as well.  It's a good card for lots of other reasons, so maybe that is an option for you. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
kc12286
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?


Walt_K wrote:

kc12286 wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

I have Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum which both have advanced ticket purchasing or whatever it is called.  As far as I have been able to tell, it isn't much of a benefit.  I certainly can't recall having access to better seats or seats at a better price.  Perhaps there are events where I have access before the general public, but I think there are so many additional programs that offer the same benefit for free that it really makes no difference. 


Yeah I see what you're saying. I can't really remember a a time I missed out on something or decent seats for something, because they were only accessiible to Amex customers. My mom had the Gold card, but got tired of the high AF. And years ago she had the Green card, which has a smaller AF. I just noticed the other day, when I was on ticketmaster, that they mentioned advanced ticket purchasing and special seating for Amex cardholders. And broadway.com also has a similar sign on the web page. I do eventually want to get a Amex card, because I plan to cancel a few credit cards. I have two cards I want to cancel, one low CL CC from my bank  and one MC that has no real rewards.


To be clear, I like the cards and get a lot of value out of them, but that particular benefit is not anything to get excited about.  As an example, if I remember correctly, I was looking at tickets for Cirque de Soleil tickets once, and you could purchase tickets in advance with an Amex.  But being a Cirque de Soleil member or something (can't remember what it is called) also got you advanced purchase, and the only thing you had to do to join was register on their website with an e-mail address.  I think just about everything I have looked at has some similar option where anyone with an e-mail address can also qualify for the advanced tickets.

 

SPG may have that benefit as well.  It's a good card for lots of other reasons, so maybe that is an option for you. 


Yeah I see what you're saying, definitely. There are a lot of free ways to get the same perks. Or a lot of the venues now offer memberships in excahnge for advanced tickets and special seating.  It's not the only reason to get a card from them and I didn't mean to imply it was my only reason for applying for an Amex card. I was an AF on my mom's Amex cards, both the Green and the Gold.  I'd say my other reason for apping is I want to get rid of two cards, the two I mentioned before, relatively soon. And that would leave my Chase Amazon, Discover, my debit card. Plus I'm hoping they may back day based on my mom's cards and my being an AU on two of them.I still have that history in my credit report.

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Regular Contributor
sengpatt
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎12-08-2012
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?

Besides advanced ticket purchase, is there anything else you're looking for in an Amex card? I imagine they would smile upon your ACM experience and give you the backdating. The scores in your are from a little while ago, but assuming they've stayed the same or improved, I would guess that you could be approved for most things.

Do you fly often? Stay in hotels? Buy a lot of groceries?
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Frequent Contributor
kc12286
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?


sengpatt wrote:
Besides advanced ticket purchase, is there anything else you're looking for in an Amex card? I imagine they would smile upon your ACM experience and give you the backdating. The scores in your are from a little while ago, but assuming they've stayed the same or improved, I would guess that you could be approved for most things.

Do you fly often? Stay in hotels? Buy a lot of groceries?

I know my mom use to bank her points and use it towards something good. I'm looking forward to that.

My scores have flucated, it seems to be cyclical. I had a high of 725  And now it's 695, I think. I may way until the fall when it's back up again in the 700s.

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Frequent Contributor
koalablue
Posts: 343
Registered: ‎05-23-2012
0

Re: Amex - Which one to apply for?

If you'd like cash back, I'd go for the BCP absolutely.  Providing you use it for groceries (6% cash back) and department stores or gas (3% cash back), you'll have no problem recouping the annual fee and you'll have a lot left over, more than the BCE.   If you're looking for hotel or air points, the SPG is a great card to have - great variety of hotels or airlines you can use the points for.  The PRG also has good transfer value to air or hotel points, though the annual fee is a bit steep. Good luck with whatever you decide.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+