cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex really, really, really doesn't like me.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex really, really, really doesn't like me.

So just got a notification from Experian that the limit on one of my cards decreased. Checked and saw it was the Delta Platinum, cut in half from $4k down to $2k. 

It's been my daily driver since I got it in March as I've been hoping to get it to grow from the original $2k SL. Back around the end of April, beginning of May, I moved $2k from my BCE to the Delta as I had been pushing 75% of the CL each month. (3 out of 4 weeks as I PIF and wanted to make sure everything cleared.) Run about $5k through it so far. Just paid $1500 last week before the statement closed on the 16th.

This essentially eliminated my $2k CLI on the BCE from last fall.

No lates ever, no baddies, no BK ever. Experian has me at a 779 as of today and Amex is showing 777 through their site. Total util is under 1% (AZEO on a non Amex)

I'm going to give them a call and see about reinstatement as I've seen others here mention. 

And as life would have it, my next CLI opportunity is in 2 days. Anyone want to put odds on how that will go?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex really, really, really doesn't like me.

@Anonymous wrote:

And as life would have it, my next CLI opportunity is in 2 days. Anyone want to put odds on how that will go?

Excellent odds on reinstatement.  Very good odds on CLI.  Good luck!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So just got a notification from Experian that the limit on one of my cards decreased. Checked and saw it was the Delta Platinum, cut in half from $4k down to $2k. 

It's been my daily driver since I got it in March as I've been hoping to get it to grow from the original $2k SL. Back around the end of April, beginning of May, I moved $2k from my BCE to the Delta as I had been pushing 75% of the CL each month. (3 out of 4 weeks as I PIF and wanted to make sure everything cleared.) Run about $5k through it so far. Just paid $1500 last week before the statement closed on the 16th.

This essentially eliminated my $2k CLI on the BCE from last fall.

No lates ever, no baddies, no BK ever. Experian has me at a 779 as of today and Amex is showing 777 through their site. Total util is under 1% (AZEO on a non Amex)

I'm going to give them a call and see about reinstatement as I've seen others here mention. 

Yeah just call them. Don't CLI. Just call them. They will likely reinstate your old line. All the banks are twitchy right now. Just call them and ask them. 

Message 3 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure why you guys think the odds are "excellent"

Most, if not all, CLDs from Amex that resulted in reinstatement were a result of non use, which clearly isnt the case here. 

Your best bet would be to call them and find out why CLD, and go from there. 

I wouldn't attempt CLI unless I knew the answer to that, especially if it's something on your CR that's rubbed them the wrong way. 

Message 4 of 16
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Sure! betcha-bet:  Reinstated with a cli x 2! 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 16
GApeachy
Super Contributor

hmmmm, after reading Remedios comment I'm thinking hmmmmmmmm, maybe ditch that cli attempt.  Good Luck though! 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

that is very strange amex would cut your CLD if nothing else on your profile has changed?  Not like 4k is a big CLI by any means with amex and their risk is very low at that level already.  Be intersting to hear that reason this happened especially if you are pushing spend through said card as appears you have a few other decent cards with decent limits as well.

Message 7 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I definitely agree on making a call.  Based on the data you provided (using good portion of limit, paying in full, very low aggregate utilization, very good scores), that would be a head-scratcher.

Other than the Platinum SkyMiles Card, have you been aggressively seeking credit elsewhere?  (Mortgage, auto loans, etc.)

Message 8 of 16
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

I'm curious as well, keep us all posted! Sorry to hear about the bad luck though,  hopefully it will turn around

Capital one 500, Discover 11.1k. UMB Signature visa 18.5k, DW UMB card Auth user 16K. Citi Costco anywhere 26.6k, Amazon Prime 22.3K
BH/Comenity Photo 10k Lowes advantage 35k
AAOA 2y4m, oldest 5 years. 0 collections. 125k income, Util 1% inq 1/12. 1/24. 30/60/90 = 0, No derog's, clean file. Rebuilding started 4 years ago.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 795
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. So......

The joke is on me and I'm feeling a little sheepish. 🐑🐑🐑

When I got the alert from Experian earlier I was in the middle of a little family thing and had a 3 year old running around trying to make sure that every inanimate object and animal had a opportunity to have a piece of the s'more that she had just made. Needless to say my brain was a little preoccupied, but the chickens didn't seem to mind the attention.

Did I think to check my actual Amex account? No.  My brain went straight to all the CLD's I've been reading about lately.

I managed to score a brief reprieve from the chaos at home and somehow convinced DW that I needed to refill the spare propane tank....immediately. Despite having just hooked up a full one. 😉

As my head cleared, I checked my account. Everything looked the same. No changes. And as I stared at the limits on my two cards, it hit me. Experian was 100% correct. Amex did cut my limit in half, from $4k to $2k.

On my BCE. Over a month ago. When I moved $2k to the Delta. 🤦‍♂️

I was told my limit was cut from $4k to $2k and my head just went to the Delta. Cuz that was my $4k card, right?

Made a quick call to Amex and they were able to confirm my suspicions. My CL's are intact. Not cool Experian. Not cool. At least fire off a CL increase as well to more accurately represent the limit reallocation. 

Maybe I should have titled this "Experian really, really, really doesn't like me".

At least I'm back on track for my CLI request in a couple days! 😁

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.