cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tricks to getting rewards on Better Balance Rewards card with BoA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any tricks to getting rewards on Better Balance Rewards card with BoA?

Recently got approved for this card. Rewards seem too good to be true!! So I have a question if I pay off this card every single month, would that disqualify me? Meaning if its a zero balance and then they try to post the reward would they not do that if it would mean my credit card balance would go into the negative?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Any tricks to getting rewards on Better Balance Rewards card with BoA?

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently got approved for this card. Rewards seem too good to be true!! So I have a question if I pay off this card every single month, would that disqualify me? Meaning if its a zero balance and then they try to post the reward would they not do that if it would mean my credit card balance would go into the negative?

I believe you need to let a balance of $25 or more post on the month in which the reward would come to you.

Message 2 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would not pay it before statement cut, if that is your intention. I would pay it at payment due date, so the statement always has a little something to catch that quarterly reward.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read numerous times, folks put netflix on the card, which is less than 25. Then after statement cuts, its automatically paid from bank account.

As long as ur card shows a balance at statement cut, and u pay, u are fine.

are you a checking/savings account holder at BOA?  you could get an extra $20 a year if you do, just throw in $300 into a savings. They also have some signup bonuses for larger deposit amounts.

Message 4 of 6
axlm
Regular Contributor

Here is what we do (it's DW's card). I'm sure some are not going to like it, but works for us.

Since we have banking relationship, we get $120/yr. They are always flooding her with BT offers, we pick one for the longest period, say 16 months, and then we transfer an amount larger than minimum payment times 16 months, (i.e. $25 x 16 mos = $400 +  $12 (3% BT fee) = $412). So for this example, I would transfer around $408 from any other card for a final balance of aprox. $420. Then we set auto payment for $26 and forget about it for the next 15 months.

Basically, we forgo $12 out of $150 to save time and hassle. I realize we are not maximizing rewards, but it's still free money in exchange of me doing nothing.

Hope that helps.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 5 of 6
axlm
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read numerous times, folks put netflix on the card, which is less than 25. Then after statement cuts, its automatically paid from bank account.

As long as ur card shows a balance at statement cut, and u pay, u are fine.

are you a checking/savings account holder at BOA?  you could get an extra $20 a year if you do, just throw in $300 into a savings. They also have some signup bonuses for larger deposit amounts.

I've seen those reports as well, but never tried myself. IIRC, in the agreement it says something like 'more than the minimum payment', so I'm always afraid of BofA bringing semantics into it Smiley Happy

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.