Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA credit limit ?

tag
markcerm
New Contributor

BofA credit limit ?

I just got approved for BofA rewards card, I called to see what my limit on card was they only started me with $500 I really wanted to use this as a daily card PIF each month but the limit is so low wont even fill my work trucks up with gas for the week lol.  Does anyone have any luck calling them and asking for a higher limit before I get the card? or should I wait 6months to ask for a CLI? also is it a hard pull for CLI?

My score was 710 TU 700 EX

thanks

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 666
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: BofA credit limit ?

You can always try calling and asking for recon without another pull. If they won't do it, I'd wait 6 months before you take another hard pull from them for a CLI. You can always just PIF multiple times throughout the month if you want to be able to put all your purchases through it. Just make sure you don't have a high util. % around statement time.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest simply using there online luv button. Its a soft pull and they'll increase it every few months.

Message 3 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@markcerm wrote:

I just got approved for BofA rewards card, I called to see what my limit on card was they only started me with $500 I really wanted to use this as a daily card PIF each month but the limit is so low wont even fill my work trucks up with gas for the week lol.  Does anyone have any luck calling them and asking for a higher limit before I get the card? or should I wait 6months to ask for a CLI? also is it a hard pull for CLI?

My score was 710 TU 700 EX

thanks

BofA in all my experiences for a CLI was a soft pull, didn't matter if I called in or hit the luv button. The other question to ask is where are your scores from? Are they FICO scores? 

One small note is many people right away state my scores are 700, 725, 750 as examples but fail to look at the bigger picture. Your scores are not the only determining factor to recieve credit, they are just a part of the equation creditors use. For example it is very possible to have scores in the 700's and have a bankruptcy listed within a few years, or possibly a collection. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 12
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

When I got my BofA Amex, the CL was fairly dissapointing. 2k, as I recall. (Which was less than my other cards, and I bank with BofA) I called in for a CLI and they jumped me to 5k. So go right ahead,  call a backdoor # and ask for a CLI.

Message 5 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JM-AM wrote:

BofA in all my experiences for a CLI was a soft pull, didn't matter if I called in or hit the luv button. The other question to ask is where are your scores from? Are they FICO scores? 

One small note is many people right away state my scores are 700, 725, 750 as examples but fail to look at the bigger picture. Your scores are not the only determining factor to recieve credit, they are just a part of the equation creditors use. For example it is very possible to have scores in the 700's and have a bankruptcy listed within a few years, or possibly a collection. 

The only time I have requested a CLI from BoA (several  months ago and was denied) they told me it would be a hard pull from Experian. Once again it's YMMV.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to barge in on the forum but I recently got a BoA card as well $300 limit (bad credit being repaired) and was told by the rep it'd be a hard pull in the future to see about a CLI... What's the "luv" button? I see and increase my limit link on my homepage. Is that the "luv" button?

Message 7 of 12
markcerm
New Contributor

Thanks for your replies,

My scores are fico TU is from this site 710 and EX is from psecu 700 my EQ is 666 from this site also.  I did call the # for bank of America and they said that it would be a hard inq. To request a CLI so I didn't ask for one.  I will have to pay off the card like 3xs a month or so. After 6 months I think ill try for a CLI. Does BofA ever give automatic CLI or do you always have to request them?

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 666
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 12
in0wh3r3ul1v3
New Contributor

not sure if they do auto CLIs, but i've never gotten one. i've had a BofA Humane Society Visa for over 3 years now, and i got my first CLI this week. it was a hard inquiry. according to what the credit analyst told me, all CLI requests will require a hard inq.

Macy's Red Star - $5100 (1/2010)
AMEX Everyday - $9000 (1/2011 Backdated)
AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL
Chase Amazon Prime - $8900 (11/2011)
Lowe's/SYNCB - $6500 (7/2014)
J. Crew/CB - $3500 (2/2015)
Target REDcard - $500 (11/2015)
Citi AAdvantage - $4000 (6/2016)
Chase United MileagePlus - $5000 (2/2017)
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they do (did?) auto CLIs... but don't count on it.

I got my first BoA card when I was 18, and it's limit was $750.  About 6 months after opening it, they auto-CLI to $1200.  It stayed at $1200 for the next 4.5 years, without a single increase, until I called last month asking for an increase.  They asked how much, I said $4000, and they ok'd it on the spot without a hard pull.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.