Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building towards CSP with no credit history

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Building towards CSP with no credit history

My quote function isn't working, but no harm done, Leadberry.

Hope to hear back from OP soon so that we can figure out how to help with the game plan.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 11 of 13
brodor

Thank you for all the card recommendations!

Discover has pretty poor acceptance in Canada (same with Amex when compared to here for everyday spend) so it'll be pretty useless even with no FTF.   The TD card can be applied for using my Canadian credit but its rewards seem to fall behind the BoA/Cap One cards suggested to me (and it has a similar annual fee as the CSP).  I would prefer getting a Visa Signature for its benefits so the Cap One comes out ahead of the BoA card in a one-to-one comparison.

At 1.25% for the no-fee Cap One card, the breakeven point is ~$12500 (I value UR points at 2c/mile through UA points transfer) to justify the $95 AF on the CSP.  I spend roughly $500+ a month (so $6K+ annual spend) and I have around $2-3K of reimbursed travel expenses each year, which translates into $10K total spend as a conservative estimate.  That $2500 difference is ~$19 a year and is easily accounted for by the differences in sign-up bonuses.  So projecting rewards over the next three years (when I graduate and should receive a bump in salary/spend), the CSP comes out ahead by a few hundred dollars (not to mention it's a pretty metal card!).

The Amex Delta Gold AF is something that I'm not looking forward to, but I mainly got that to get my foot in the door with Amex.  Fortunately the signup bonus will at least cover the AF for the next 2-3 years.

I see some recommendations to apply for the Freedom (and other no-AF CapOne cards) but would I be declined for lack of history (maybe I'm being overly protective of my inqs)?  Should I obtain one or two more cards (now? or in a few months so that my two new cards have reported for a bit?) before gardening?

Message 12 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

In my opinion, applying now is not the best choice. You have some cards to work with, and clearly have the patience to wait for bigger and better things. I found 6 months in between apps to work well for "establishing" revolving history.

Also, great analysis on your rewards. It sounds like you have thought this through and I can't find any holes in your analysis, so good luck in obtaining what you want! Based on what you have posted here, you will find yourself in the good graces of US credit scores very soon.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.