Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a car with credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a car with credit card

Going tomorrow to buy a used car. Carfax checks out. Was wondering if it breaks down in a month if I'd be able to do a chargeback if the dealer won't take it back or won't fix it. Planning on using my chase united for the 50000 miles.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying a car with credit card

@Anonymous wrote:
Going tomorrow to buy a used car. Carfax checks out. Was wondering if it breaks down in a month if I'd be able to do a chargeback if the dealer won't take it back or won't fix it. Planning on using my chase united for the 50000 miles.

probably wouldnt be able to do a chargeback.  How old is the car and does it come with a warranty?  Also, you should check with the dealer to see how much they will let you put on a credit card.  Most have some limitation

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa Signature Purchase Protection does not extend to motor vehicles.

Also, many dealers won't even take a CC.

Message 3 of 18
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I agree with Irish. It is extremely unlikely that a bank would entertain a chargeback for a car purchase, at least not without a probing and drawn out investigation (which likely wouldn't result in your favor anyway). Also, $3000.00 has been the maximum I've been permitted to charge on a credit card. I'd be very suspicious of the deal I was getting if a dealer allowed a substantial amount to be put on a credit card. 

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks guys
Message 5 of 18
jbsea
Established Contributor

I was able to put $5000 and the rest had to write a check.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 6 of 18
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I know someone who bought C300 on Amex Platinum and the only reason this was made possible was the fact that it was their 7th car from the same dealership (Not trying to say that buying 7 cars allows you to charge it on a credit card :-) )

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I know someone who bought C300 on Amex Platinum and the only reason this was made possible was the fact that it was their 7th car from the same dealership (Not trying to say that buying 7 cars allows you to charge it on a credit card :-) )

Don't new cars generally offer much higher margins for dealers than used cars? It might not have been possible to do that with a used car.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to put a $2k in credit down for a down payment on a used car. I used 2 different cards and put down 1k apiece. 

Message 9 of 18
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

My parents bought my brothers Honda Accord (23,000) on their Amex Platinum a long time ago so I do think it's possible.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.