cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC/ goals for 2016-2017!!! Determined to succeed!

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

CC/ goals for 2016-2017!!! Determined to succeed!

So, as Ive been evaluating my credit profile/cards, there are a few CC's I would like to get, and hopefully be approved for whether instant or recon.

1) 2nd CC w/ NFCU ( doable)

2) CC w/ Penfed ( this will be tough with my profile and BK, but possible low limit on recon)

3) CC w/ Chase (this will be a challenge, since they were IIB, but I now know their 5/24 rule, and I think I could squeak out a $500 freedom) Smiley Wink

So in order to obtain one or all of the above mentioned, and have myself set up in the best way for possible approval,  I knew I needed to do two things that would help.......

1) garden for 2 yrs, and let all new accts age to 2+ yrs, and have 0 inq on all 3 CRA's. ( hard, but not impossible to do)

2) close several store cards (some I could close easily, others Id have to really think about) also if I want Penfed, they are conservative, and notorius for decling for "pyramiding debt", so getting rid of some available credit could help. 

Ive been putting a list together of store cards I could close and not care at all about, and Ive come up with 11-13 for the first batch. My goal by August of 2017 is to have 15 store cards closed.  Ill be 4 yrs post BK, with my CC profile trimmed, no new accts for 2+ yrs, 0 INQ on all 3 CRA's to help.  I think these are good goals overall and obtainable. 

I will also in the mean time be working on trying to get my limits raised via either only SP or auto's on my Cabelas, Discover, and Sallie Mae cards. If I dont get an auto CLI on my Cabelas card by then, Im closing it.  Im already 6 months into my goal of gardening, (last new acct was 6mo ago; last inq 5 mo ago),  and its all down hill from here now. Im staying focused on the bigger picture. 

Thanks everyone for all your support Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC/ goals for 2016-2017!!! Determined to succeed!

There is no pizza in the garden. Buwahahahaha
Message 2 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Laura... I think you are starting to "get it" and by that I mean, quality over quanity. Store cards are great during rebuilding, and I will probably never give up my Amazon card because of the great 00% financing option, but once you have a core of quality bank cards, most store cards and their high APR's are worthless. As you know, I thin the herd at least once a year, for 2015 I closed most of my store cards last February and I closed a bunch of GE/Sync bank cards a few weeks ago because of lower limits, higher APR's and frankly I didn't need them. 

You and I have about the same amount of available credit (I'm at $250,200) with only one Comenity (total rewards) and still too many GE/Sync (GE Care Credit, GE BP Visa, GE Amazon, GE Lowes,  GE Ebates Visa, GE Old Navy Visa, GE Sams Club MC, GE Walmart Basic) all of these have pretty strong credit limits but I'll probably close Care Credit, BP, Old Navy and the basic walmart card in early 2016 (loss of $28,000 in available credit lines) because I don't use them and they have high APR's even though I PIF as a rule. 

My goal is to have maybe 12 core cards (I currently have 31), all with lower APR's and higher credit limits, but frankly when looking at my cards, a lot of them (more than 12) I find useful and want to keep.  

At a certain point, some prime lenders look at over all risk and when they see, even a thick file, with a lot of exposure and under used credit limits they have second thoughts. Frankly I think you have done an amazing job of recovering from your BK in a very short period of time. I don't have a BK on my file, but you have much higher credit limits from lenders like Capital One than I have ($15k total vs your $47k) and other than the "branding" of a few accounts I don't think your credit mix is much different than mine and my scores are maybe 75-100 points higher than yours (again I don't have a BK, but I did go through a very rough patch when my business closed). 

Frankly, with a $20k BBVA card and a $20k Diners MC, that's all the credit I would ever need as far as revolving credit. I enjoy the "game too" and the slight rush of "congrats you are approved" for new cards, but at a certain point it becomes more of a game then an actual need. Quality over Quantity - close those cards you don't need and you'll find you'll get better cards meaning higher credit limits at lower APR rates. Mature credit files are different from rebuilding, and the biggest factor is quality bank cards over a boatload of store cards which granted are useful in rebuilding, but little use after that with the exception of 00% APR offers. 

IMO, you have just progressed from rebuilding to mature by looking at closing those cards that helped you rebuild, but really are no longer useful.

Message 3 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on setting some solid goals. Closing cards is part of the cycle of credit: When something isn't going to be useful, or be a drag on your goals, then it's time to cut it loose.

That Chase 5/24 rule is a definite restriction. I have the CSP as a goal, will be getting some UR points built up with Freedom, but they only get useful with the CSP. At the present time, the earliest I could app for it would be July 2017, which will be a challenge, but even if I take some other new cards it will be October 2017. So my goals include working with the cards already on hand to use them optimally, fully utilize what is already available, and perhaps picking off a Citi card between now and then.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Laura... I think you are starting to "get it" and by that I mean, quality over quanity. Store cards are great during rebuilding, and I will probably never give up my Amazon card because of the great 00% financing option, but once you have a core of quality bank cards, most store cards and their high APR's are worthless. As you know, I thin the herd at least once a year, for 2015 I closed most of my store cards last February and I closed a bunch of GE/Sync bank cards a few weeks ago because of lower limits, higher APR's and frankly I didn't need them. 

You and I have about the same amount of available credit (I'm at $250,200) with only one Comenity (total rewards) and still too many GE/Sync (GE Care Credit, GE BP Visa, GE Amazon, GE Lowes,  GE Ebates Visa, GE Old Navy Visa, GE Sams Club MC, GE Walmart Basic) all of these have pretty strong credit limits but I'll probably close Care Credit, BP, Old Navy and the basic walmart card in early 2016 (loss of $28,000 in available credit lines) because I don't use them and they have high APR's even though I PIF as a rule. 

My goal is to have maybe 12 core cards (I currently have 31), all with lower APR's and higher credit limits, but frankly when looking at my cards, a lot of them (more than 12) I find useful and want to keep.  

At a certain point, some prime lenders look at over all risk and when they see, even a thick file, with a lot of exposure and under used credit limits they have second thoughts. Frankly I think you have done an amazing job of recovering from your BK in a very short period of time. I don't have a BK on my file, but you have much higher credit limits from lenders like Capital One than I have ($15k total vs your $47k) and other than the "branding" of a few accounts I don't think your credit mix is much different than mine and my scores are maybe 75-100 points higher than yours (again I don't have a BK, but I did go through a very rough patch when my business closed). 

Frankly, with a $20k BBVA card and a $20k Diners MC, that's all the credit I would ever need as far as revolving credit. I enjoy the "game too" and the slight rush of "congrats you are approved" for new cards, but at a certain point it becomes more of a game then an actual need. Quality over Quantity - close those cards you don't need and you'll find you'll get better cards meaning higher credit limits at lower APR rates. Mature credit files are different from rebuilding, and the biggest factor is quality bank cards over a boatload of store cards which granted are useful in rebuilding, but little use after that with the exception of 00% APR offers. 

IMO, you have just progressed from rebuilding to mature by looking at closing those cards that helped you rebuild, but really are no longer useful.

wow, thank you so much for commenting, and the longer post.  I read it all very thoroughly!! Yes, you and I are very similar...I too have 31 cards, most of which is store cards, with high limits though. my first batch to close next year will result in 11 store cards with a total of $49,850 in credit closed!!  the 2nd batch to close in beginning of 2017 will be 4-8 store cards with $20k-$28k closed in credit. 

My goal by 08/2017 is to be sitting at 10-13 cards...

Since I got myself in the habit of always keeping a 1% util reporting at all times, and PIF everything else, it wont matter if I drop $100k in avail credit.  The loss of that credit will only be tempory anyways, knowing Ill slowly gain it back in major cards.  Now, dont get me wrong...there are some store cards Im keeping, like my Barneys (duh, lol) Pottery Barn (LOVE), and a few others, and FICO loves the mix of retail and majors cards anyways. 

So, definitely hoping that my plan will work.  My first try out of the gate  though will be Chase, expecting recon again, but with better results, LOL..Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations on setting some solid goals. Closing cards is part of the cycle of credit: When something isn't going to be useful, or be a drag on your goals, then it's time to cut it loose.

That Chase 5/24 rule is a definite restriction. I have the CSP as a goal, will be getting some UR points built up with Freedom, but they only get useful with the CSP. At the present time, the earliest I could app for it would be July 2017, which will be a challenge, but even if I take some other new cards it will be October 2017. So my goals include working with the cards already on hand to use them optimally, fully utilize what is already available, and perhaps picking off a Citi card between now and then.

NRB...Thank you for responding too! I think the reason I went crazy is because of two things...1).seeing congrats after BK, and  2) it was a challenge to see if I could get the same cards back that I loved so much that were IIB.  

Well..little did I know that I had all the cards back (store cards) that  were IIB within 1.5 yrs post BK....challenge is over now. LOL ( insert major let down, LOL)...New challenge is now majors, and I have to go at that angle a little differently.  Now it requires some serious tweaking, gardening, and patience (not my strong suit, but learning and adapting). 

I too would like  Citi (major) card, but they are even harder to get back in with after BK than Chase. That one will be a huge challenge, and I may have to go the co-branded way first  (like Citi Costco).  Time will tell...Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amen for inspiration!

I salivate at the challenge of getting what I want.  I would like to embark as a passenger on your journey for the elusive Chase Bank.  I have given up all hope at understanding Discover, and my battle with my token collection soils my profile for American Express.

I look towards Chase, with the SouthWest card, United Card, Freedom's rotating categories, Sapphire's Ultimate Rewards structure and think, hey, those cards really fit my lifestyle.

September 2017 is the APPocolypse for Bu Yao. Double hitting JP Morgan. Great Odin's Beard give me strength!  Solidarity in gardening.

Pizza, you are an inspiration with your pleasant posts, your admirable collection, and the rebuilding you've done. 

Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Pizza, it sounds like you've got an excellent plan to me! 

I agree with you especially with the store cards, but I'll just add that with the Synchrony cards, keep in mind some of them can be useful for the deferred interest promos; this is actually the only reason I would ever get a few of them to begin with (like Wal-Mart).  Lowe's also has an attractive major purchase promotion that's ongoing; the rate is 5.99% for 84 months... on something really big that could be very useful.  I'm not as familiar with the ongoing promotions on other Synchrony cards, but since you have them you're likely already on top of it anyway.  Smiley Wink

Actually, you really don't need to hear any of this from me... you clearly have a good handle on things, and I look forward to hearing about your continued success in the new year!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amen for inspiration!

I salivate at the challenge of getting what I want.  I would like to embark as a passenger on your journey for the elusive Chase Bank.  I have given up all hope at understanding Discover, and my battle with my token collection soils my profile for American Express.

I look towards Chase, with the SouthWest card, United Card, Freedom's rotating categories, Sapphire's Ultimate Rewards structure and think, hey, those cards really fit my lifestyle.

September 2017 is the APPocolypse for Bu Yao. Double hitting JP Morgan. Great Odin's Beard give me strength!  Solidarity in gardening.

Pizza, you are an inspiration with your pleasant posts, your admirable collection, and the rebuilding you've done. 

Thank you so much buyyao!!  I will also have to see where my scores are at that time as well. My TU and EQ are sitting at 20 pts lower than EX due to them having 2 PR's on them... (BK,and a paid state tax lien).. EX only shows the BK (thankfully).  Im working my butt off trying to get somehow the state to "withdraw", and send me a letter stating such, so I can get them removed. If successful, my scores would be closer to my EX score. 

Its funny to look on my reports, because I was "gardening" before it was even cool too, LOL..YOu can see my app sprees on the reports! My last biggest spree was in 2006!! before then 2000 and 2004.  I didnt even know I was gardening!! LMAO!!  

Now, its like  woo hoo, I gardened a week! LOL..seriously! Why is it so hard now??  I totally blame finding these forums, hahahahah Smiley Wink  Actually finding these forums was literally a God send!!!!!   

Solidarity in Gardening!!  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Funny thing is, I just got approved for the BBVA AmEx ($20k @ 11.24%) on the 11th of this month and I was talking to the wife about it - saying back when we really really needed credit it was low limits and high APR's, now that we have a strong income and have lots of credit, it's nothing but high limits and lower APR's. Now you might say that is logical in as we are a better risk - yes perhaps, but I have not mised an on time payment in over 8 years and then it was just one or two 30 days late, quickly caught up. It would be a way too long post to explain all this (my history).

Just looked at my spreadsheet, in 2017 I'll be closing 10-11 cards I know of including 5 bank cards and 5+ store cards if you count "firestone" and Macy's in the bunch (loss of about $50k in credit limits), included in there will be my Capital One Venture that refuses to grow after 17 months, but I'll keep my GM card which has grown and has a $10k CL. I'm not sure there is a majic formula as to what to close other than lack of use or those that just p*ss me off like Capital One. As an example, Citi won't give me a primary card (always an excuse) but will give me Brooks Brothers, Wawa, Macy's and a $20k Home Depot card - yes I know different internal lending standards, but that makes no sense that they are "exposed" for over $30k but won't give me a $5k Citi Branded card - do I care, no I don't but when I close brooks brothers, Wawa and Macy's in 2016 it won't bother me a bit.

I have a $7k CL Barclays Apple Card, but they won't give me any other card - probably because I closed a card they issued me with a $250 CL within a week of reciept, I really don't know why, and I really don't care since other than the low APR RING card, there is nothing they have that I want. My point being, I believe I am in charge of my credit profile, if Cap-1, Citi and Barclays want to tread lightly as far as extending me their products, I don't need them - all the cards spend the same. NASA CU had no use for me at all, but DCU and Congressional FCU offered me open arms (per se), there are always options available and if you play the game correctly, you remain in charge rather than begging for acceptance from Cap-1 and their ilogical under writing.

IMO, closing no longer useful cards is part of the process of tayloring a quality credit profile that fits your needs and benefits you rather than the lender.  

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.