Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Merrick

tag
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

Cancelled Merrick

Just cancelled my merrick bank card.  Feels good.  Had no interest in working at all to waive AF.  Feels good getting rid of them. Plus waited on hold for 10 minutes to talk to a very rude lady, I didn't hear her when she finally answered, I said Hello, hello, her response loudly and rudely was WHAT!!

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Cancelled Merrick

hats great, I dont think mine has an annual fee

Message 2 of 3
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Cancelled Merrick

@icloud2525 wrote:

Just cancelled my merrick bank card.  Feels good.  Had no interest in working at all to waive AF.  Feels good getting rid of them. Plus waited on hold for 10 minutes to talk to a very rude lady, I didn't hear her when she finally answered, I said Hello, hello, her response loudly and rudely was WHAT!!

Yeah their customer service has dropped a little and they do have a few bad apples there.  They were unwilling to do anything for my AF or about giving me the security deposit back for my card.  After 5.5 years of a responsible relationship with them they were more than happy to see me go.  By responsible I mean that I was not a very profitable customer with them.  I did not carry balances for long, I did not use the card often, and I got better cards from others.  I only got better cards from others because they don't have better cards. 

I did like them, they were overall very good and mostly friendly with me.  However, at some point you have to decided; pay for something you don't need or simply quit.  It was not like I didn't give them fair warning.  Over the last year I called them once a month and asked about getting rid of the annual fee and giving my money back.  I warned them that at some point I would do exactly what I did do and that was close the account.  Thinking back to the past week and the 2 Amex cards and the Visa Signature card I just easily got approved for makes me wonder if those approvals were a bit easier because I did just that!  It was nice cashing that refund check, too bad it did not have interest on it. 

I am glad you felt good about closing it!  I hope others who have done the right thing with their credit and with Merrick also decide at the right time to part ways.  I don't really care too much about the people who just slam the bank!  There are certainly nice things about them.  At least they give credit limit increases, unlike Capone which still seems to avoid that at all costs unless you EO them.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.