Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 is officially Crap1 to me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 is officially Crap1 to me!

So I did my routine check on all my accounts, make sure all my payments have gone through, etc. Well imagine my surprise when I logged into my Crap 1, and I'm being slapped with a $5 monthly member fee, WHAT!!! In the three years I've had this account, this is a first.

Is it because of high util, or dropping scores? No, I've actually paid my card down from $724 to $18 - this is prior to the fee. My score has gone from 586 to 629 - Equifax.

WTH!

I called them and was told a lot of accounts were getting this charge to offset the cost of the numerous benefits this card offers. Um....what benefits, I get no cash back, no mileage, no nothing. Oh what, I get to pay for fraud protection, gee thanks.

After speaking to a CSR and two supervisors, all I could get is they "upgraded" my account so it now will earn cash back rewards. My only other alternative was to close my account. If it weren't 3 yrs old, I'd be doing just that.

Anyone else having this happen? Anyone else had any success with getting around this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 is officially Crap1 to me!

I log onto all my accounts every 2-3 days. I have no such charge on my CapOne account, yet...

Message 2 of 7
mross1080
Established Contributor

My capital one's are clear. Ill keep an eye out though.

Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

If the cash reward is 1%, you have to run $500 a month charges to break even.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No charges on either of mine.
Message 5 of 7
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

did they ever give you CLI?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not since the 1st step auto increase of $250 bringing it to $750 which was a couple years ago. My card went over the limit by a couple dollars when interest accrued, so I was kicked out of the steps program. Nothing since then.

If I didn't have a few inquiries on my credit, (from refi-ing car) and my score weren't still recovering, I'd kick them to the curb for someone else. But I don't know that I meet the criteria for anyone.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.