Capital One 5 day hold on payments.

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One 5 day hold on payments.

@Anonymous wrote:
It's so secretive.

lol

If it wasn't a secret, if you knew why they don't like returned payments, and specifically how many lead to AA, would that change the correct way to handle paying a CC? Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 71 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bank is confirming that your payment cleared, not that you have $X dollars in your account.

In the case of the held payment by Capital One, the payment already went through, they are just waiting an additional X days to be sure it is not reversed. By calling your bank, they can be sure the payment is not being reversed.

Message 72 of 89
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The bank is confirming that your payment cleared, not that you have $X dollars in your account.

Oh I got it now.  I thought you were saying you could call SAME day, minutes after making a payment and get some CL freed up immediately.  That would be nice.

Message 73 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

For someone that's not making a lot of money, it perhaps isn't a good idea to use a card for everything. There's always pending payments using debit vs credit depending on where you go. So you can easily end up in overdraft from month to month, constantly overshooting your budget. Or really just the amount of available funds in the account.
Message 74 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive me for the potential to hijack the thread, you all seem to be quite familiar with Cap1.  Is there any nice way to get them to refresh your CC balance with the CBs prior to their automatic reporting at statement close?

Message 75 of 89
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
For someone that's not making a lot of money, it perhaps isn't a good idea to use a card for everything. There's always pending payments using debit vs credit depending on where you go. So you can easily end up in overdraft from month to month, constantly overshooting your budget. Or really just the amount of available funds in the account.

I don't make a lot of money by anybody's standard, but using my credit card for all my purchases works well for me.  Actually, it works even better than just using debit since I don't have to worry about something 'nefarious' happening with my debit card, hosing up my checking account.  It does take a bit of discipline, but earning the rewards each month more than make up for any added 'bookkeeping' required. 

However, it's like I tell my family members regarding the "best" method of keeping track of your finances.  The absolute best method that I always recommend is... the one that works for you!  We're all different, and what works like a charm for me might be a disaster for someone else, and vice-versa.  Smiley Wink

Message 76 of 89
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgive me for the potential to hijack the thread, you all seem to be quite familiar with Cap1.  Is there any nice way to get them to refresh your CC balance with the CBs prior to their automatic reporting at statement close?

Try changing your address slightly.  Dunno if it works for Cap1 but it does for others.

Message 77 of 89
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I can't even get through the entire thread without making some comments to this.

1.  You made a payment and then spent the money, this is actually considered fraud; you bascially wrote a bad check.  You even admit you did this later on in the post.  (Not being judgemental here, just pointing out the facts.)  This let's them put a hold on future payments, which I think by law might actually be ten business days, however unrealistic this is in regards to our electronic world.  In fact, they are allowed by law to put holds on payments for up to five business days in any situation, regardless if they do it regularly or not.

2.  You waited until the statement closing date to pay again, if I understood correctly, which you did not have to do.  You can make payments in the interim.  You can do so from either their website or your own banks online system.  (You might even get a late payment fee for this and/or a returned check fee for the first payment being rejected.)  Just because there was the hold the first time, doesn't mean you can't make other payments even if it was to correct the error you made by spending the money.  (They may also charge you interest, since it wasn't PIF by the due date.)

3.  You are using way too much of this cards limit if you are planning on PIF every month.  There are no benefits associated with their Platinum card, so using the full balance is pointless in the way you are using it if you are doing so to build credit.  PIF each month before the balance posts actually keeps your score low.  I always suggest that if you want other creditors to notice how you use your credit let it report once at the full amount, then PIF after the statement closes.  This causes a high limit, as it is termed, to be reported.  Then only pay the full outstanding balance every month and anything additional to get it to 10% of usage by the closing date, but before the due date, or make multiple payments while still leaving 10% reporting.  Creditors like to see you using your card, PIF before the due date to show 0% usage won't help them see you using the card. 

I have paid my CapOne card up to 7 times in one month, not to get a higher score, but to get them to give me a higher limit.  (This was before when they never gave Credit Steps cards limit increases beyond the 1 step.  If I had known then what I know now.....)  They have put holds on my account in the past, not that it mattered to me, and I did make them remove the holds after the payment had cleared my bank, not because I needed to use the card, but to make them work harder because of their past policies!  I don't think I now ever get holds on my payments and I pay only from their site, I don't know because I don't care so much anymore what they do....  I also have a limit and many cards which is enough that I don't have to worry anymore. 

If you are trying to build up your history for other creditors and thus build your score; then you need to show usage.  Get a plan and stick with it for building your score.  If you are having difficulty with just this one card, then you might want to hold off getting more until you can make certain that you don't spend the money you need for paying your card.  You need to have a plan and a goal.  If you goal is to get a mortgage, then you need to make sure that keep on top of things.  I am certain if you put your mind to it you can succeed, you just need to keep to the details.  Good luck and do well.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 78 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. It's not fraud.
2. I didn't wait until the statement closing to pay. I paid two weeks prior to the statement closing date.
3. I could not make any payments since there was nothing owed. It wouldn't let me. Even the CSR said I couldn't. I tried. You can't overpay.
4. Letting a 100 credit utilization report is bad for the score. A high balance owed to available balance is bad for the score.
5. My usage is being shown. I'm currently at 14% utilization. This gives me a B actually. So perhaps it should be under 10 percent.
6. I have a plan. Use the card. Pay the card. It's simple.
Message 79 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't mean to double post. Seems I pressed reply and suddenly a blank post appeared. :/

UPDATE: It's Monday. I woke up at 6am and everything worked out perfectly. Capital one was happy to release the funds it took all of 5 minutes, and now I'm back to a card with a full balance.

UPDATE 2: 12:00 PM on Monday, the statement came in. It went just about as perfectly as possible. I'm all set with Capital One and my statement, everything is paid, and it correctly reported to the agency. Under 10% of my limit with full credit availability. I got an A.

Message 80 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.