Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One cards, close or keep?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Capital One cards, close or keep?

Like so many other members, my CCs with Cap1 basically never get their limits raised. Each time I request a CLI, it's immediately denied for one reason or another, most of which don't even make sense. I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and wanted to gather opinions: should I close two of my three cards?

I have two Quicksilvers (one MC and one Visa), plus a Walmart Rewards MC. The first two are approximately 10 years old, the third one was acquired in 2019(?). It's the Quicksilvers I'm thinking about closing.

Their limits are $4,000 and $4,500 (just FYI, the WM MC's limit is $10,000). I literally cannot recall the last time any card was granted a CLI. Even if I *combined* the two QS cards (which I don't think they allow), the limit still wouldn't hit 5 figures. I'm trying to get all of my cards into 5 figures, but it looks very, very unlikely that that will ever happen with these two cards.

My AAoA is <8 years; my oldest card is 31; my newest account (an Amex loan) is 2 months old; my only HP (and only on TU) will fall off in April. My scores were in the 810s but are about to plunge, due to large purchases I've just made.

Considering their ages, I'm kind of hesitant to close these cards. But...on the other hand...since they're clearly bucketed and will never get higher limits, well, I don't know. The reason I don't use them is because of their low CLs. When I need to pick a card for a $3,000 purchase, I'm not going to use one with a $4,000 limit (and the sky-high utilization that would create), when I could choose one of my 5-figure cards instead, you know? Also, their APRs are a lot higher than my other cards; I don't generally carry balances on any card (unless they're on a 0% offer) but, still, I don't like high APRs just on principle.

Thoughts, please? What would you do? Neither card has an AF or anything, so sock-drawering them is not out of the question. Any and all input greatly appreciated!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One cards, close or keep?

C1 seems to work more like a muscle the way their algorithms are working. In the sense, you have to exceed the normal 30% Utilization to trigger growth.

I posted this earlier in a c1 reply: 

"Using 50% to 65% of my c1 CL and pif ea. Mo. Triggered an auto increase for me after 6 mo..

I called and asked for more and they told me it was too soon, I just had one, and my card was on an automated cli system not eligible for manual increases.

I can only assume that my c1 account is completely automated by an algorithm and I just have to keep flexing it to keep getting increases. Not sure though. Time will tell."

I suppose, if you don't use them at all and not looking to work their algorithm muscle, you might as well sock drawer them till they close them or close them yourself.

C1 has Also been know for cld when usage stop or drops.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would close the two QS and keep the WMMC if I was a frequent Walmart customer to leverage those rewards.  
IF I really wanted another core C1 card, I'd just apply for a new product after closing the other two. Would likely have a larger SL than either of the QS had and more potential to grow over the next ten years before the two QS age off reports. By the time they would age off, you've already accumulated ten years of positive history on the new one. 

Sounds like from your profile, you'd be better off with a newer, better product from C1; if you desired one of course. 
I'm not keen on triple pulls so I'd probably choose somewhere else to spend my inquiry over C1 if I had a profile more like yours. 

my 2¢

Message 3 of 20
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

I learned this the hard way last month. My once $15,000 Quicksilver is now $5,000 (not due to adverse action but due to their famous CLDs in 2017 and 2020). I decided to put a $1,900 purchase on my lonely Quicksilver world elite mastercard. For years, the cycle date was the 20th. Well, Daddy forgot that they changed that in 2020 or 2021, so, without checking (totally my responsibility) I used the card on 12/21 thinking I would have a month before cycle date. Nope, that charge posted in time for the 12/23 cycle date. Yeah, 38% utilization. EQ and EX dropped some points...oddly TU seemed to like it...regardless, yes, I understand that wanting a higher limit is not just for kicks.

My advice, keep them, use each every 6 months for a small purchase and wait to see if they bring back account combination. Then, when (hopefully) they bring that back, you can combine them to have one card with an $8,500 limit. 

Another option is a compromise: close the newer one or the one with the lower limit but keep the other for age. 

As I am sure you know, the closed card(s) will continue to be included in AAoA for up to 10 years.

Message 4 of 20
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

C1 seems to work more like a muscle the way their algorithms are working. In the sense, you have to exceed the normal 30% Utilization to trigger growth.

I posted this earlier in a c1 reply: 

"Using 50% to 65% of my c1 CL and pif ea. Mo. Triggered an auto increase for me after 6 mo..

I called and asked for more and they told me it was too soon, I just had one, and my card was on an automated cli system not eligible for manual increases.

I can only assume that my c1 account is completely automated by an algorithm and I just have to keep flexing it to keep getting increases. Not sure though. Time will tell."

I suppose, if you don't use them at all and not looking to work their algorithm muscle, you might as well sock drawer them till they close them or close them yourself.

C1 has Also been know for cld when usage stop or drops.

This. This is what people are forgetting lately with Capital One. If you do not make Capital One top of wallet, they could eventually CLD the account. Happened to me twice in three years. I have prime credit and its a prime card. Doesn't matter with Capital One. So both the rebulilder cards and prime cards have their issues. And yes, that can be said about other banks as well...but Capital One makes it nearly impossible to gain back what was taken. 

Message 5 of 20
RSX
Valued Contributor

You could close the $4k one, then SD the 4.5k one until they close it

that way the closures are spread out a bit and you get to clean up your list of CC's

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 20
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

The problem is, using their cards heavily and earning milquetoast rewards in exchange for slightly higher limits (but the same meh rewards) really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I look at this from an opportunity cost perspective.

Every dollar I charge to a card with sub-par rewards is a dollar I could be charging to a card that actually rewards my heavy use.

That's not a nkock on Cap 1. I have praised their desire to adhere to a successful and time-tested business model many times on this board.

But from a micro-user perspective, they are simply a net loss when used as a daily driver save specific circumstances (the Savor for those who eat out frequently, for example).

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 20
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

The problem is, using their cards heavily and earning milquetoast rewards in exchange for slightly higher limits (but the same meh rewards) really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Every dollar I charge to a card with sub-par rewards is a dollar I could be charging to a card that actually rewards my heavy use.

^ This. Had I charged any of my recent large purchases on a QS card, on the *HOPE* that pushing my utilization to nearly 90% MIGHT yield a CLI somewhere down the road, I would've lost out on the 3, 4, 5% rewards I got by using other cards. I don't even remember what QS pays, is it 1%? 1.5%? Whatever, I know it's not 3% or 6%! So what would I end up with? A paltry cash back, a sky-high utilization percentage, and absolutely no guarantee that, later on, a CLI request would be successful (for once).

This is really why I just don't use them. Between pushing my utilization way up and getting paltry rewards, it's just not worth it. Now, if this method *guaranteed* a 5-figure limit the next time I request a CLI, well, maybe I'd reconsider.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

^ This. Had I charged any of my recent large purchases on a QS card, on the *HOPE* that pushing my utilization to nearly 90% MIGHT yield a CLI somewhere down the road, I would've lost out on the 3, 4, 5% rewards I got by using other cards. I don't even remember what QS pays, is it 1%? 1.5%? Whatever, I know it's not 3% or 6%! So what would I end up with? A paltry cash back, a sky-high utilization percentage, and absolutely no guarantee that, later on, a CLI request would be successful (for once).

This is really why I just don't use them. Between pushing my utilization way up and getting paltry rewards, it's just not worth it. Now, if this method *guaranteed* a 5-figure limit the next time I request a CLI, well, maybe I'd reconsider.

Unfortunately, given Capital One's current lending practices (which changed very significantly in the past few years), I can't see them granting a 5-figure limit on any of the two cards even with any abundant amounts of spend. If anything, auto-CLIs have a bit more success (no guarantees of course) for those customers who have used their cards as a workhorse or primary means of spend.  That said, only a sprinkle of those who were approved with significant auto-CLIs grace their presence in the Approvals subforum.

Since it's doubtful that Capital One will bring the account combinations in the foreseeable future (they haven't for >4 years and based on past customer experiences it's likely they won't), I would say this pretty much narrows the options.

Closing them (on your own schedule) will accomplish a few things: (1) no more feeling insulted about BT promotions and their associated APRs, (2) rewards instances that may cause customer service headaches when such promotions seem cumbersome, (3) not having to worry about nursing or monitoring the accounts given the limits don't meet your strategy any longer -- a 'want' vs a 'need' (i.e. CLs too low), (4) redistributes lending capital for those customers who will really use it (plenty of $100 or $200 CLIs can be made for others or new starter accounts) 🤷‍♂️

Message 9 of 20
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

Unfortunately, given Capital One's current lending practices (which changed very significantly in the past few years), I can't see them granting a 5-figure limit on any of the two cards even with any abundant amounts of spend. If anything, auto-CLIs have a bit more success (no guarantees of course) for those customers who have used their cards as a workhorse or primary means of spend.  That said, only a sprinkle of those who were approved with significant auto-CLIs grace their presence in the Approvals subforum.

Since it's doubtful that Capital One will bring the account combinations in the foreseeable future (they haven't for >4 years and based on past customer experiences it's likely they won't), I would say this pretty much narrows the options.

Closing them (on your own schedule) will accomplish a few things: (1) no more feeling insulted about BT promotions and their associated APRs, (2) rewards instances that may cause customer service headaches when such promotions seem cumbersome, (3) not having to worry about nursing or monitoring the accounts given the limits don't meet your strategy any longer -- a 'want' vs a 'need' (i.e. CLs too low), (4) redistributes lending capital for those customers who will really use it (plenty of $100 or $200 CLIs can be made for others or new starter accounts) 🤷‍♂️

You probably don't realize it, but you've just single-handedly convinced me to close the cards! Smiley Surprised

Well, at least, lean very strongly toward closing the cards. Smiley Happy

Your pointing out various things I've griped about before, such as the insulting BT offer I got, and the 'jumping through hoops' Chewy.com purchase, reminded me of just how much I dislike Cap1. Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

Now I just need to decide whether I REALLY want to voluntarily close two cards--not something I ever thought I'd do, considering I've been at both ends of the 'feast or famine' credit landscape. Then decide if it should be one or both. Then do it!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.