Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One lock and unlock

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One lock and unlock

Discover started this trend of being able to lock ones credit card and unlock at the touch of a button. I noticed my Quicksilver has added this for my card. Just noticed it today. Why haven’t I seen this before? Lol.  It’s not as conveniently placed as Discover. But I like it. For fraud prevention I think all cards should offer this. Save at least some fraud. Unlock it, use it, lock it. I know a couple other cards offer this. Not sure why it isn’t a feature every bank should use. Just a little food for thought since I just noticed it. A++ for this feature to me. Oh and locking doesn’t affect recurring charges. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One lock and unlock

I haven’t ever used the feature on discover.

But I would just be cautious about doing that. Might trigger an internal thing and really lock you out of your account for fraud purposes.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 10
BrokenBones
New Contributor

This feature has been available for a while now. It was first available on the Capital One Wallet app. I have my card locked all of the time and only unlock it when I need to use it as locking and unlocking is instant. I love this feature!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrokenBoneswrote:

This feature has been available for a while now. It was first available on the Capital One Wallet app. I have my card locked all of the time and only unlock it when I need to use it as locking and unlocking is instant. I love this feature!

I’m sure it’s been around. Just never noticed it. That’s the Dufus in me lol. I’ll use it some now. I go thru periods where I’m only using it for recurring bills. So I can lock it and stuff it away. 

Message 4 of 10
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

I use the lock/unlock feature all the time in my Capital One app. I'll make a purchase and then lock it immediately after. Only issue i run into is with itunes. I always get alerts from capital one that the card was declined due to it being locked. And thats usually atleast a week after i made the itunes purchase.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got into the habit of locking my Cap1 Plat and only unlocking when I wanted to buy something. One morning at my usual breakfast spot got me an omelette platter, swiped my card, and went to work. After I finished breakfast I looked at my phone and noticed an email from Cap1 saying a charge was declined, it was for my omelette platter. I felt so bad because it was like I was stealing from them, on my lunch break I went to them to pay for my "stolen" breakfast but the owner said the charge went thru and I was good. So I have no idea if this Lock feature truly works, the owner said he was paid, Cap1 said they declined it, and all I know is that was the best free omelette I ever tasted.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Discover started this trend of being able to lock ones credit card and unlock at the touch of a button. I noticed my Quicksilver has added this for my card. Just noticed it today. Why haven’t I seen this before? Lol.  It’s not as conveniently placed as Discover. But I like it. For fraud prevention I think all cards should offer this. Save at least some fraud. Unlock it, use it, lock it. I know a couple other cards offer this. Not sure why it isn’t a feature every bank should use. Just a little food for thought since I just noticed it. A++ for this feature to me. Oh and locking doesn’t affect recurring charges. 

It costs money to implement. It also creates resistance for the card member if they forget to unlock their card. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

It costs money to implement. It also creates resistance for the card member if they forget to unlock their card. 

No. It costs nothing to implement. It’s push a button and locked. Push again to unlock. No cost involved.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

No. It costs nothing to implement. It’s push a button and locked. Push again to unlock. No cost involved.

You can’t be serious. It costs money to program it into the app and implement the technology on the backend. It doesn’t work by magic. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let’s all stay on the thread topic with the features/benefits, not the cost. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.